First three Wire albums

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

First three Wire albums

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am

I always found it interesting how each of these albums had at least one song with a very strong pop sensibility made exceptional with obtuse lyrics and certain jarring unconventional aspects of song writing, almost a bait and switch meant to both court and mock the singles chart although I have no real idea of how any of these songs actually charted. I’m pretty certain they could of written more material in this vein or with greater commercial success if they wanted to but it’s not what interested them so they didn’t. I recall reading that they disbanded after those albums because they said all they wanted to and I cannot say I care much for the albums they made after they reformed but also haven’t spent much time with them.

The songs I’m specially thinking of are as follows:

Pink Flag — Reuters
Chairs Missing — Outdoor Miner
154 — Map Ref. 41°N 93°W

buzzlegs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by buzzlegs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Three great albums indeed, I've a soft spot for 'The Ideal Copy'... 'feed me' is an amazing track!... and the 'Manscape' is really complex and interesting!... I think 'Send' might be their best album though, Bruce Gilbert's last hurrah with the band and the guitar work is amazing!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:07 pm

buzzlegs wrote:Three great albums indeed, I've a soft spot for 'The Ideal Copy'... 'feed me' is an amazing track!... and the 'Manscape' is really complex and interesting!... I think 'Send' might be their best album though, Bruce Gilbert's last hurrah with the band and the guitar work is amazing!
I’ll have to delve into it—I do like the track One of Us off of Object 47, seems to be an honest meditation on the bands “creative differences”.

PeterHanes
Learning to Wiggle

Re: First three Wire albums

Post by PeterHanes » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:13 am

onthebandwagon wrote:I always found it interesting how each of these albums had at least one song with a very strong pop sensibility made exceptional with obtuse lyrics and certain jarring unconventional aspects of song writing, almost a bait and switch meant to both court and mock the singles chart although I have no real idea of how any of these songs actually charted. I’m pretty certain they could of written more material in this vein or with greater commercial success if they wanted to but it’s not what interested them so they didn’t. I recall reading that they disbanded after those albums because they said all they wanted to and I cannot say I care much for the albums they made after they reformed but also haven’t spent much time with them.

The songs I’m specially thinking of are as follows:

Pink Flag — Reuters
Chairs Missing — Outdoor Miner
154 — Map Ref. 41°N 93°W
If you haven't already you might enjoy reading Wilson Neate's "Read & Burn: A Book About Wire": the definitive biography of the group. In addition to the story of how the singles failed to chart, and the first dissolution of the group because of the members creative antagonism, there are plenty of interesting anecdotes and insights into the creative process.

So much so that you might wonder how they ever managed to work together again after 1979. Just take the example of why "The Fifteenth" was never released as a single!

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46 am

The Kevin Eden book 'Everybody Loves a History' is more of an autobiography in the words of the band and their various collaborators, includes projects like Dome and Colin's solo records, and it spends a lot of time on the first three records. It has been out of print for a while, unfortunately.

Knowing Bruce and Graham a bit, their mastery of the art of commercial self-sabotage is almost unmatched. I mean that as the highest compliment.

Mike Thorne used to have a blog with entries on each of the albums from his POV, plus the aborted reunion the produce 'Ideal Copy', all of which are worth a look.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

construct09
Sine me up

Post by construct09 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:12 am

Love these first three WIRE LPs

Was always curious as to what synths Mike Thorne used on 154 and also about his serge system

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:16 am

Buzzlegs, thanks again for the Send recommendation, truly exceptional album and I take back a couple of my previous notions about their work after the first three albums.

And Continuum, seems like the habit of self sabotage has some correlation to genius or something close.

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:55 pm

First three Wire Albums = GREAT music plus cover art that offers the listener/viewer a compelling poetic aesthetic experience akin to the thought-provoking sonics... " I found something no-one else was looking for..."

Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Yes I particularly like the Chairs Missing album cover—puts fine art photography and general cover art of today to shame.

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:04 pm

onthebandwagon...

INDEED!!!

Mikael488
Common Wiggler

Post by Mikael488 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 am

construct09 wrote:Love these first three WIRE LPs

Was always curious as to what synths Mike Thorne used on 154 and also about his serge system
The synths used on Wire's 154 included a Yamaha CS-80 and Synthi AKS.

As for the Serge, Mike aquired an eight panel unit (later 12) around '80, used to good effect with Soft cell, Bronski beat and Communards.

Return to “Artist Discussion”