Aphex Twin 2017 reissues - sound quality sucks?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

cyclopeatron
Common Wiggler

Aphex Twin 2017 reissues - sound quality sucks?

Post by cyclopeatron » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 am

This morning I unwrapped my brand new 180g Warp reissue of the RDJ album and listened to the first side. I sat down with a cup of coffee and settled in for a close listen of one of my favorite albums...

...and the sound was terrible. Inner groove distortion. Anemic low end. Hissing high end. My original 20 year old CD sounds noticeably better. It broke my heart and I couldn't bring myself to listen to the second side.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the vinyl revealing source limitations...? I haven't heard earlier pressings, so maybe I'm expecting too much. Especially after Syro where the vinyl was mind blowing and remarkably better than the digital versions.

JAO
Common Wiggler

Post by JAO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 am

Warp have gotten similar criticism for the recent re-issue/re-pressing of The Other People Place album and also some BOC albums.
Clearly they are having recurring problems with pressing quality.
Always sad to see great music being presented in a compromised format.
Let them know you're not happy. Someone is listening at warp, but evidently not in the QC department.

facklr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Aphex Twin 2017 reissues - sound quality sucks?

Post by facklr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 am

cyclopeatron wrote:This morning I unwrapped my brand new 180g Warp reissue of the RDJ album and listened to the first side. I sat down with a cup of coffee and settled in for a close listen of one of my favorite albums...

...and the sound was terrible. Inner groove distortion. Anemic low end. Hissing high end. My original 20 year old CD sounds noticeably better. It broke my heart and I couldn't bring myself to listen to the second side.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just the vinyl revealing source limitations...? I haven't heard earlier pressings, so maybe I'm expecting too much. Especially after Syro where the vinyl was mind blowing and remarkably better than the digital versions.
Contact Warp directly. Seriously. ( usa@warprecords.com ) They shipped me brand new copies of the records I had trouble with. I think there was a pressing mistake in a whole run of records that went out and they are sending out new copies pretty much no questions asked. They were EXTREMELY nice when I emailed them, and it was a pleasure. Here's my email and their reply:
I recently purchased two vinyl records put out by your label.

Boards of Canada - Music Has a Right to Children - warplp55r - 2013 UK pressing

Aphex Twin ‎– MARCHROMT30a Edit 2b 96 - WAP381

Both sound...not good.

The Boards on the second side especially has surface noise that starts to overwhelm the tracks, and carries on in between each track. I thought at first I needed a new needle, but that is not the case.

The Aphex sound like it is completely covered with dust and static, but the record is clean, clean, clean.

Both records were purchased new and sealed, one from a local shop and the other Online.

I noticed on the Discogs comments that there are similar complaints about these two pressings.

Advice? Has there been a cleaner re-press of both?

Let me know, I would appreciate it.

---

Hey John,

Sorry to hear that. Can you send me a mailing address for you and I'll get replacement copies in the mail to you soon?

Best,
Theodora

The records arrived, and they were PERFECT.

slidearind
Common Wiggler

Post by slidearind » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am

I've had issues with newly pressed records on numerous occasions.

I think part of the problem has to do with vinyl being a "re-newed" technology. The people who became experts in record pressing retired in the 80s and 90s without transferring that knowledge.

In effect, we have to learn how to press records again.
Last edited by slidearind on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReturnCodeZero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ReturnCodeZero » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 am

I had a good customer experience with WARP too. I received a T-shirt with a hole in so I contacted them straight away with pictures and they sent me a new one without hesitation within the week, I didn't even have to send the damaged one back. To be honest I didn't expect this from WARP though and like you guys it sadness me to think that standards are slipping in terms of the re-issues puts me off wanting to buy from bleep.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 am

Most companies change processes, suppliers or staff which can have a negative effect on the quality of their goods or services. How a company deals with customers following the sale is how I measure a good company to deal with.

:tu:

cyclopeatron
Common Wiggler

Post by cyclopeatron » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:54 pm

...so I emailed Warp and they said they've never heard of the inner groove distortion problem I described and they want me to send photos of the record... which looks totally normal...

sheesh...

NU
Wiggling with Experience

Post by NU » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:01 am

slidearind wrote:I think part of the problem has to do with vinyl being a "re-newed" technology. The people who became experts in record pressing retired in the 80s and 90s without transferring that knowledge.
I haven't heard or seen any evidence of that, and pressing quality got pretty bad by the mid-late 80s (relative to the 60s and 70s). I can't comment on the Aphex releases in particular but one source of problems nowadays is the fact that records made on a press that isn't fully hot are prone to noise. It can take 50-150 copies for the press to reach full temperature, and when quantities of a given release are way down (often 200-500 copies) and costs and workloads are way up.. well, you can imagine why corners might get cut and copies that used to get scrapped now circulate.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 am

In the seventies I was regularly returning vinyl to the record shop due to pressing issues - its nothing new.

In the eighties, as CD replaced vinyl, I was then returning CDs for mastering issues (generally where the "remastering for CD" seemed to have been done with a piss poor back-up cassette copy rather than the original master tapes).

Now, so far as I can tell, the music itself sounds awful. Or....maybe I am just old and its the tinitus kicking in.

:youkids:

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 pm

slidearind wrote:I've had issues with newly pressed records on numerous occasions.

I think part of the problem has to do with vinyl being a "re-newed" technology. The people who became experts in record pressing retired in the 80s and 90s without transferring that knowledge.

Can you state any sources for this, please?

I'm prone to believing such statements since of all the vinyl I bought in the 80s and 90s, only one was really a faultypressing, and now it seems more the rule than the exception. But I also keep hearing from guys who say it wasn't much better in the 60s and 70s. So, without wanting to keep any hearsay going: can someone say with authority (and sources) that vinyl was really at its qualitative peak in this or that decade, and why (or why not, before and after)?

dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:53 pm

All the Eno stuff on Warp that I've gotten has been dead quiet, and that's the kind of music that is not forgiving to pressing issues. The BOC reissues were also top notch, enough so that I sold my originals.

I have a reissue of I Care Because You Do on Warp from a few years ago, didn't notice any issues (unlike those 1972 reissues which are horrible). Since the RDJ album was his first digital album, I skipped the vinyl and stuck with the CD.

bargain1979
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bargain1979 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 am

defo contact warp. good luck

slidearind
Common Wiggler

Post by slidearind » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

addendum wrote:
slidearind wrote:I've had issues with newly pressed records on numerous occasions.

Can you state any sources for this, please?

I'm prone to believing such statements since of all the vinyl I bought in the 80s and 90s, only one was really a faultypressing, and now it seems more the rule than the exception. But I also keep hearing from guys who say it wasn't much better in the 60s and 70s. So, without wanting to keep any hearsay going: can someone say with authority (and sources) that vinyl was really at its qualitative peak in this or that decade, and why (or why not, before and after)?
My only source is the guy at the local record store. (record peddler on queen st west in toronto, unfortunately, the shop has closed down)

I've had a similar experience to yours, though. Returned one or two records from the late 70s through early 90s. New pressings have been about 10%...

CDavis
Brain Fruit

Post by CDavis » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:04 pm

My autechre reissues sound amazing

Return to “Artist Discussion”