Lookking out for synth vinyl

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Lookking out for synth vinyl

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 am

I just found a witched on bach lp at a record store. Super excited to have this piece of history.

What are some good records to look out for as far as synth music goes? There is some synth music that I love but I feel that a lot of it will be too obscure to find, or if I would find it would be super cheap in case no one knows what it is.

I would love to find some Subotnic stuff or more kraftwerk (I have radioactivity) Especially a whole record that was done on one synth something like the arps ep which is all one arp 2600 making drums and everything else.

Let me know!

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:07 am

'White Noise' albums are very good
«:::A:::» «:::W:::» «:::E:::» «:::S:::» «:::O:::» «:::M:::» «:::E:::»

Kaput
merry prankster

Re: Lookking out for synth vinyl

Post by Kaput » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 am

southphillysynths wrote:I just found a witched on bach lp at a record store.
I realise you meant Switched on Bach, but I wish there was a 'Witched On Bach' alternative version. :hihi: Maybe done on the Buchla?

My favorite synth vinyl LPs have to be Subotnick's Touch and Until Spring, both of which can be found relatively inexpensively, as they weren't obscure pressings.

Another one that springs to mind is Art Of The Synthesizer by Sam Spence, on the music library label DeWolfe. There's another DeWolfe called Pop Arp that was done on... an Arp. Also... Arp Odyssey by Alan Hawkshaw on KPM. Also... Music For Synthesizers by Eric Peters, on Studio G, which I think was done on EMS equipment. Some of these are harder to source and therefore can be a little expensive, but... nice LPs. :tu:

maurice
Common Wiggler

Post by maurice » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 am

[video][/video]

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:19 am

If you want a modern one-synth approach, check Ralph Bass-Clef's latest Some Truths LP on Mordant - http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/18/bass- ... ant-music/

Entirely done with a loaned BugModular

(he also did the Bass Clef BugBranded EP which heavily features the same system, but also has some of his usual sonic arsenal)

Subotnick's Silver Apples of the Moon is well worth tracking down (not too hard on vinyl) -- def. WhiteNoise Electric Storm too (AMAZING album - though prob that is more tape-based - D.Derbyshire wasn't so keen on synths as they were 'too easy')

Oh & Benge's 20 Systems - http://www.discogs.com/Benge-Twenty-Sys ... se/1491715
Some great tracks!

BendingBus
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Lookking out for synth vinyl

Post by BendingBus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:27 am

southphillysynths wrote:I just found a witched on bach lp at a record store. Super excited to have this piece of history.

What are some good records to look out for as far as synth music goes?
By the same artist, "The Well Tempered Synthesizer". The CD version is ridiculously musical sounding, never heard the vinyl.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 am

And Clockwork Orange - found that cheap on vinyl - FANTASTIC

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 am

For some Moog flavor you can also try hunting for Lucifer - Black Mass, Mort Garson's Moog modular on the rise over there!

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 am

All great suggestions!!

Going to have to track down the Eric Peters! Synti is my favorite! :goo:

I would love to hear that stuff done on the bugs! Met a guy with a middle sized system at a synthmeet and I would love to get a better idea about the character of those systems. Also I think Benge is a beautiful human! I meant to get his tracks but I think you can only order them digitally through his website? I will have to look into that.

Always looking for moog stuff, I feel like there are simply more recordings done on moog modulars back then.

And now I come to Eliane Radigue. I will give that video a listen asap! This video below I have found ridiculously inspiring. I can't explain it in words, maybe it's just the charm of something being explained in French but the idea that a person uses one synth, like a strati various is mind blowing to me. And the fact that the music is simply known, the synth is just a way to decode brainwaves to sound.

[video][/video]

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:09 pm

there is a lot of stuff, could recommend you a few hundred lps probably
just pm for some list or something, know a lot of stuff from avant to library electronics

as for moog modular, check nik raicevic, first records are moog modular only last 2 is moogmodular and arp2600, he made 5 lp (late 60 till 1975 i think) more stoner weird vibes, rules hard
etc though hard to find cheap now, most sell around 100$ now)

also really worth is checking out records made with the russian ans synth, that thing sounds special

also check keith his creel pone cd'r series of a lot of more obscure electronic lp's, some you can find cheap or ok prices on lp, some are expensive, but creel pone is a great resource to discover stuff

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 am

Plastikman's new album EX is nice. Vinyl arrived today :party:

EarlJemmings
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EarlJemmings » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:52 am

Oh man, Black Mass Lucifer is damn good. I'll have to pick that up.

+1 to Clockwork orange soundtrack, definitely a good one. Apparently there is a version with all original work from wendy carlos, I've been keeping an eye out for that.

Subotnik's Wild bull is pretty good too

poorpot
Common Wiggler

Post by poorpot » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:19 am

when i bought it, i had a different chris carter in mind and not the one from throbbing gristle.

chris carter - the spaces between

http://www.discogs.com/Chris-Carter-The ... se/2439639

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:31 am

Mike Ratledge's "Riddles Of The Sphinx" sounds incredible on vinyl:

henrybirdseye
Common Wiggler

Mort Garson records

Post by henrybirdseye » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:10 am

S-O-Bach was the second electronic music record I ever bought in 1968. The first was "The Wozard of Iz" and it was so different from Switched-On Bach I almost wore the grooves out.

Here's a YT link to Wozard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iS7YVLcBh4

He went on to make "Electronic Hair Pieces," "Black Mass," 12 Zodiac records and many others.

Give "Wozard" a listen.

I still have almost every record I ever bought, but only discovered Delia Derbyshire and Raymond Scott in the last few years.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 333 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:23 am

I really enjoy Keith Fullerton Whitman series of Occlusions albums which were from his live performances with modular synth. "Generators" is really good as well.

If you like the sound art variant of modular synth music then Ben Vida recent LP releases.

Hosaka
is board

Post by Hosaka » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Also from Keith Fullerton Whitman: Disingenuity b/w Disingenuousness LP!

A little more underground fame is this guy called Pulse Emitter. Has done various noise/drone tapes in the past but new stuff is more easily approachable melodic vintage synth stuff. Spiritual Vistas LP is great! Only listened to it on YouTube since his stuff doesn't appear so much at where I buy from, but might have to look up discogs.com soon.
How can you call yourself a DJ if you don't even know how to babysit a bunch of kids?

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:55 pm

My first thought reading "witched on bach" reminded me of the Louise Huebner "Seduction through Witchcraft" which is like a "how-to" instructional album with music by Louis and Bebe Baron - seems that it had a vinyl reissue about 5 years ago so it's actually much more expensive on out of print 1990s CD. The bad news of course is you have to listen to her processed voice all over the music (Same with the 12! "Signs of the Zodiac" albums with music by Mort Garson, where are the karaoke versions of these albums!)

[video][/video]

But yes, Switched on Bach was said to be the top selling classical non-singing album of all time. The catch in your hunt of course is that a lot of names one might drop are sought after and can potentially cost collectors money and might not even be seen much in your part of the world unless you luck out. On the up side there is youtube to fill you in on a lot of elusive albums. I mean come on, Library Music albums are now easier to find with the internet but these things were probably pressed in crazy small numbers.

Well you could go with the route of buying new vinyl. Definitely your choice is a bit limited but you are supporting what's being made now.

Yes, to me, as mentioned in another post, the "Walter Carlos' A Clockwork Orange" LP is best of that series (not the original soundtrack for the film, but the not super common all synth album)

I know Blade Runner is out on vinyl now. Annoys me that in the 90s I got a hold of the exquisitely hard to find legit Brazil pressed LP of 1990s Bladerunner soundtrack (not the cover orchestral version from the 1980s)... but now anyone can get a new pressing.

kfw
Common Wiggler

Post by kfw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

333 wrote:I really enjoy Keith Fullerton Whitman series of Occlusions albums which were from his live performances with modular synth. "Generators" is really good as well.
Hosaka wrote:Also from Keith Fullerton Whitman: Disingenuity b/w Disingenuousness LP!
Thanks for the props guys ; if any of you want any of these (save for the PAN lp of which i'm currently sold out) I'm always up for dealing direct via my artist-page ::

http://www.keithfullertonwhitman.com/records/

… on top of that, I've been putting a bunch of second-hand vinyl up on the same site for the past-few weeks ; definitely a bunch of things that are apropos of this thread ::

http://www.keithfullertonwhitman.com/vinyl/

knobbyfischer
Common Wiggler

Post by knobbyfischer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Klaus Schulze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moondawn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timewind

Not too difficult to get on vinyl

and they rock :bang:

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Schulze, obviously, yes. Some of his early LPs don't actually have synths on them (like Irrlicht), but sound like they do ;) and well worth it.

Also, look for Tonto's Expanding Head Band's LP Zero Time. It's a lot of Moog but also some ARP and it's a very early non-switched on, non-academic work.

Also, maybe check out the following on youtube to see if you'd be interested in them on LP:

Synergy (aka Larry Fast--First two albums especially...I used to use the following LP and song to test sound systems, the bass on the LP outdid any digital recording of it I've heard):
[video][/video]

Space Art (probably pretty rare, only their first self-titled LP was really worth it...kind of a Jean Michel Jarre plus live drums thing, some of the songs are a bit weak to begin with but once you get into them there's nothing really much like them out there):
[video][/video]

And of course Vangelis's early one-man synth stuff like Spiral, Heaven and Hell might be worth it.

As for Subotnick, anything by him that uses the Buchla's worth it. The Wild Bull is my favorite.

ALSO...a lot of the Italian group Heldon's work, and their leader/guitarist, Richard Pinhas's solo works are largely synth, or prominently synth. Might want to check out youtube first to see what would fit:
[video][/video]

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Patrick Cowley's School Daze demonstrates some great sounds coming out of the E-MU Modular.
Please post some more E-MU modular works! :party:

Richard Wilder
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard Wilder » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm a big fan of sonic seasonings (winter is my fav) by Walter Carlos , if not Walter than Wendy. Really enjoyed that when I first found a record of it ages ago for 50 cents!

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:11 am

Don't think Charles Cohen has been mentioned yet. Morphine records reissued a bunch of his buchla music easel recordings. Not sure how many lps readily exist but been listening to a lot of Warner jepson lately awesome buchla 100 compositions.
Żłób modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

My Eurorack compositions for vinyl "Tholins of Kharon" is out 11/23/19
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

de_raaf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by de_raaf » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:36 pm

gonna keep an eye on your sale list keith, see already some i may want, but first wait for dough, but i can't stress enough how creel pone opened my eyes a lot, and its a wonderful to broading your horizons on electronic music that has been made and kept quite obscure over the time

Return to “Artist Discussion”