Newby 300 questions

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, grantrichter, carygrace

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 pm

NYMo wrote:Yeah......but thats the marketing speak...ive read that !

I notice a lot of wigglers have both 300 and Walekko modules, hence my question regarding real world differences.

So its a blue panel and better manufacturing then ?
Thank god im a sucker for a blue synth then !

Cheers
the 300 and euro go very well together. there are designs in the euro that are not made in the 300 like the anti and noisering (2 modules i cant live with out!!!)
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks Grant.

Rico, ive got 6u of Walekko which i am selling to finance the 300.
I have two AO and thats such an aggressive oscillator that im going to miss. ( cabinet problems ...which seem to be the bane of my life !)

And one other question ( without trying to poke a hornets nest !)

Are Grants older 300 modules more collectable than the current new product ?
Im thinking in re sale value terms . Sort of like how a 67 Vintage Moog modular is worth $40k...whereas a Dotcom. Modular, although better built and more stable is worth $5k (pm if necessary)

Cheers
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm

I think one of the main benefits of the 300 is that almost every module functions like a standalone synthesizer. The designs are very well thought out and cover a lot of territory. It would be hard (but not impossible) to cover all the little functions and surprises using individual Euro modules. For me that's the magic of the 300 series. I've learned so much by investing in a system and I'm nowhere near mastering it.

In my opinion it's one of the most feature rich, compact, high quality synthesizer investments you could ever make. Of course the system doesn't cover EVERY type of synthesis ever, but the 300 is extremely unique. I plan to have some Malekko tidbits on the side, everyone needs a noisering or 4 :hihi:.

carygrace
If I had two dead rats, I'd give you one

Post by carygrace » Wed May 01, 2013 9:42 pm

NYMo wrote: Are Grants older 300 modules more collectable than the current new product ?
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea about resale value differences, and would not even begin to speculate.

That being said, if potential investment value is a deciding factor for you in purchasing, please also consider that what is on the used market now may be up to 14 years old, with unknown history, and may need service, so you would want to factor in what it would cost to ship the modules to me and service them. The new ones all come with a two year warranty, whereas the older ones are for the most part no longer covered by warranty.

Of course the "investment value" might be the same whether they work or not...like I said, I have no idea. :-)

NYMo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NYMo » Wed May 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Cary..thanks for your reply.
The thing is, if i could buy a new Waveform City....it would be a no brainer..but i cant !

Cheers
Vintage Knobhead !

New synth history album Vol 5 avail for free download !

Albums here
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120834

Not too old to rock'n roll..not too young to die !

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 pm

NYMo wrote:Cary..thanks for your reply.
The thing is, if i could buy a new Waveform City....it would be a no brainer..but i cant !
Of course if I had one I would be happy to sell you one! But I don't!

If I hear of one for sale I will definitely let you know. :-)

(I think the Richter/Malekko Megawave is due for release soon, though...)

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 am

NYMo wrote:I have two AO and thats such an aggressive oscillator that im going to miss. ( cabinet problems ...which seem to be the bane of my life !)
Should be possible & not too difficult to mount a couple of anti-oscs behind a schaeffer 300-style panel.

wavehead
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wavehead » Fri May 03, 2013 5:59 pm

can anybody compare the difference in sound of 300, 1200 and malekko circuits? for instance, the borg and boogie - do these have a noticeable difference in their response, headroom, etc.? very curious about this.

also really curious about the core of the classic VCO and it's FM response in comparison to grant's other oscillators, or any other oscillators in general. only reason i ask is i have never used one and haven't heard any recordings of it in isolation. seems like a really awesome oscillator.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Sat May 04, 2013 5:40 am

Prefacing my reply with "I reckon"

I think the 300 Boogie was in fact 1200 Boogie behind a 300 faceplate. So you can only compare 1200 and Malekko ones. I expect they would be close. Ditto the Borg2s.

My guess would be the Borg 1 300 series and Malekko would be slightly different but more so than those above.

Re the Classic VCO I would think it would be some way from the other oscillators - do they offer dynamic depth FM?

There are a few of 300 series FM examples on my soundcloud page - e.g La Belle Sequence

https://soundcloud.com/chamomile-shark
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Does anyone know why the newer Malekko Wiard modules go by Richter instead of Wiard?

laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by laserpalace » Fri May 17, 2013 1:27 pm

jamb
My guess is that Wiard is now handled by Wessex Analogue somewhat exclusively. This is entirely speculation on my part, but I imagine Grant might be focusing all his efforts on the Malekko line and parting ways with the 300 series, so it makes sense to re-brand them to reflect the separation. I know this was discussed in another thread, just can't recall which one specifically.

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Fri May 17, 2013 6:42 pm

laserpalace wrote:jamb
My guess is that Wiard is now handled by Wessex Analogue somewhat exclusively.
The Wiard brand was fully transferred to Wessex Analogue two years ago, after the instruments were all but out of production for some time due to Grant's health. Grant is still involved on a freelance design consultant basis, but he is not involved with manufacturing or day-to-day business.

Grant is also still licensing module designs to Malekko, but they are under his own name now (no affiliation with Wiard or Wessex Analogue).

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Aha, thanks for clearing that up!

Return to “Wiard”