Has anyone got their 300 orders in?

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, grantrichter, carygrace

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Has anyone got their 300 orders in?

Post by wavecircle » Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Just wondering who has ordered 300 series stuff and what you are getting....

Any indication of waiting times?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Sat May 28, 2011 7:29 am

I emailed carygrace about 3 weeks ago and she was looking for some small orders ASAP to generate some revenue to buy parts.

I don't know if she's busy now or not. I wish I wasn't so broke now because it sounded like I could have had a few modules made for me rather quickly.
She asked me what I wanted to start with, I told her and
I've been waiting for her reply thinking she was maybe slammed all of a sudden or didn't like my choice for my first module (the controller) but I just noticed it's gone from the price list.

Anybody know what happened to it?

I want them all but the controller seemed like a good first 300 series module, something I could use with what I have now.

I want one :waah:

Anyway last I heard she wanted some small orders.

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 am

311 controller is out of production at the moment, so is the omni filter.

I spoke to Cary yesterday, I think she is just really busy getting orders together.

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

carygrace
If I had two dead rats, I'd give you one

Post by carygrace » Sat May 28, 2011 12:50 pm

ocd synthnerd wrote: I've been waiting for her reply thinking she was maybe slammed all of a sudden or didn't like my choice for my first module (the controller) but I just noticed it's gone from the price list.
What's your name/email address? It is very possible your email got lost in the overwhelming avalanche of mail. Very sorry if so.

Just send me another email to sales@wiard.com if you want to buy some modules, and let me know what you would like.

The controller is not currently available.

Best wishes,
Cary

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 pm

carygrace wrote: The controller is not currently available.
:-D U know what that means... there's potential for it to be available. :party: hehe

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Sat May 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Im so glad you exist carygrace! :yay: I've never met you but I love ya
I'll email you again when I know I can be a proper customer.
Or I'm full of shit and I'll try and get a waveform city and or a sequantizer ASAP. Picking one or two of the modules at a time seems really damn hard though when I want them all.

I wasn't too worried I figured you had to be super busy.

Is the 311 controller going to be available again?

Maybe I'm in sync with your timing and will have all the money I need when it becomes available. (I hope it will,I need)

I missed out on these modules years ago and it's not happening again.
I will have at least a full rack of six and the new controller(I hope) this time.

I'm trying not to gut my studio though. I've sure thought about it. My Moog section of my room is in serious danger.
Just two synths sold and I'll be making sweet love to a bunch of blue.
:love:
So tempting, but if I can get my Wiard system without selling anything
I'd have a pretty complete studio set up.

Please stay around a while, or until I get my system :party:

Did I mention I love you :lol:

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Low-Gain wrote:
:-D U know what that means... there's potential for it to be available. :party: hehe
Potential is better than no potential I figure.

fester
Learning to Wiggle

FWIW

Post by fester » Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 pm

The primary disclaimer here is that I ain't Professor Richter or Ms. Grace.
But I have built modules in many formats, and I teach rudimentary DIY electronics at Webster University.

Most of the newbies among my students are shocked when they learn that:
-the knob costs more than the pot
-the panel takes longer to make than the circuit itself (and that's with NO legends(!)) and thus costs several times more to produce.

Among the makers of modern modulars a few (Mr. Arrick & Herr Doepfer for instance) have metalworking capabilities that are utilized for other (ostensibly) more profitable classes of products. Thus their metalworking costs are amortized over a profit-base larger than just this tiny backwater of a market.

In a historical perspective, the late venerated John Simonton of PAiA once told me that he was unable to hold PAiA consistently in the black until he figured out how to do the cosmetics. (metalwork & graphics) in-house.

Wi.A.R.D. 's only business is making the Blues, and any products that requires metalworking that deviates from the 300-series panel standard presents a high cost in all dimensions: money, lead-time, & opportunity.
Just looking at pictures of the controller reveals a huge roster of custom fabrication work compared to the rest of the 300-series.

I expect that is the reason that Wi.A.R.D's modest resources will focus on more standardized offerings.

As for the Omni filter-
I have the good fortune to own one ( In fact, it was an announcement of Prof. Richter's success with this design, and of his intentions to offer it commercially that prompted me to contact him in 1998. I had been trying to do voltage controlled mode switching for years unsuccessfully, and he beat me to it fair & square)
A look under the hood is all it takes to realize why the production of this module is on hiatus. Simply, it takes more than TWICE the density and complexity of circuitry to make this gadget tick.
Prof. Richter has admitted publicly that, on reflection, he himself wonders if it's design is not 'a bridge too far'.

that's my take on the 'potential' issue.

I own the rest of the Blues too and I will attest that there is PLENTY of firepower in even just one or two modules. Certainly too much to justify obsessing over the 'one's that got away'

that's just my 2-cents anyway

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 pm

fester = Dr. Mabuse?

I claim my two quatloos!

fester
Learning to Wiggle

fester =

Post by fester » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 am

if there's real money involved, and you cut me in for a percentage,...
fester can = Dr. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for all I care!

What is the current quatloo/euro/dollar exchange rate?
and where do I sign?
;)

grantrichter
Lord of all Wogglebugs

Post by grantrichter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:39 pm

ocd synthnerd wrote:
Low-Gain wrote:
We have the surface mount PC boards (JAG) in house, just getting quotes from vendors to stuff them.
:cthulhu:

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Awesome! That's wonderful news that its for sure getting made.

I know you know a ton about video synthesis. Your anti-oscillator pulls double duty very impressively as a video oscillator. It's the only audio vco I've found that can generate a good number of vertical bars and will sync through the 1volt/oct. input. Amazing, and very beautiful to look at.

Did you you design video functionality into any of you designs on purpose for people to find? Like the anti-oscillator or the jag?

Just curious. I think your designs are amazing and inspiring to use. Thank you for bringing these blue beauties back.

grantrichter
Lord of all Wogglebugs

Post by grantrichter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

ocd synthnerd wrote:Awesome! That's wonderful news that its for sure getting made.

I know you know a ton about video synthesis. Your anti-oscillator pulls double duty very impressively as a video oscillator. It's the only audio vco I've found that can generate a good number of vertical bars and will sync through the 1volt/oct. input. Amazing, and very beautiful to look at.

Did you you design video functionality into any of you designs on purpose for people to find? Like the anti-oscillator or the jag?

Just curious. I think your designs are amazing and inspiring to use. Thank you for bringing these blue beauties back.
You can use the JAG for cartesian to RGB encoding at low frequencies.

So you can use the RGB outputs as static color field generators with a video encoder. Driving the JAG with the outputs of two envelope followers and filters give you a simple video "color organ" which maps audio to color fields in real time.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

grantrichter wrote:
ocd synthnerd wrote:
Low-Gain wrote:
We have the surface mount PC boards (JAG) in house, just getting quotes from vendors to stuff them.
:cthulhu:
Most excellent. Will we need to resubmit requests for these once they are ready?

gchang
Learning to Wiggle

new orders in....

Post by gchang » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Just placed an order with Cary for the last two module in my 40 module system. At the new prices, the Wiard 300 still represents an incredible value when considering the module build quality and construction, and the module density. No one else, today, is building modules like this. No one.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Greetings Gary, welcome on board!

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:44 pm

are we going to see anti-osc and boogie filter in 300 format? the anti-osc especially is one of the nicest modules i've used in years. hope we'll see these babies in bluuuuue! :wiard:
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

gchang
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Has anyone got their 300 orders in?

Post by gchang » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:50 am

wavecircle wrote:Just wondering who has ordered 300 series stuff and what you are getting....

Any indication of waiting times?
I called and spoke to Cary last week - I put in an order for two modules, and she sent me a quote via email on Monday.

I am sending her a check tomorrow for a deposit on the modules.

What will take the most time in manufacturing new modules will be the making of new faceplates, so I ordered a Mixolator and an Envelator, which will finally fill all the spaces in my cabinet....

gary

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 am

I just paid for my six modules (WC, Borg, Seq, Mix, Env, Woggle). Should get an indication of delivery time soon.

I was lucky to find an Omni and Classic VCO 2nd hand so I will have the complete set. :nana:

Return to “Wiard”