Video software question (OSX)

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Video software question (OSX)

Post by revmutt » Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't know if we need to have a special tread on software but here's what I'm looking for and if anyone wants to input recommendations please do so.

I would like to be able to simple create a protection that is made up of multiple smaller video clips. Sort of the way a security set up looks.

I know I could do this years ago pretty easily in Director but I am far behind and rusty. Aside from doing this in HTML which seems just lame, any thoughts? I am using a Mac.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Video software question (OSX)

Post by johnnywoods » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 am

revmutt wrote: I would like to be able to simple create a protection that is made up of multiple smaller video clips. Sort of the way a security set up looks..
do you mean "projection"?
do you need it to run "live" in realtime, or can it be a single rendered movie file?
if it's the former, I'd say try flash first.
Otherwise, any editing program will get you there. Premiere is pretty good at handling multiple streams in a single image.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks Johnny. For some reason my iPad corrects projection into protection sometimes and also doesn't catch spelling mistakes on certain sites.

I mean to do this in real time and had considered re learning director. I had also thought of After Effects.

I was hoping that there was some presentation software that would allow me to tile or mosaic multiple clips.
Tommy DOG

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

After Effects doesn't do realtime.

I think Flash would be your best bet, although the videos will have to be pretty lo-res.
You could build something in OpenFrameworks that would do this very well, if you're at all comfortable with C++.

Quartz Composer may be worth trying, although Ive personally had bad results with multiple video streams there. Ditto for processing.

Maybe VDMX can do this? I'm not too familiar with it myself.

alexwhite
intrinsically linked

Post by alexwhite » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Isadora could do this pretty well and could be capturing and chopping up clips for the grid in realtime either according to a pre determined pattern or using realtime midi.

emergencyofstate
Synthesist

Post by emergencyofstate » Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 am

If you happen to use Ableton Live with Maxforlive or Max/MSP I can think of some options.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 am

I am thinking that I will do the grids as prepared items running a few seconds each but want to recall each grid composite clip in different orders depending on what is going on with other live elements.

So that leaves composing the grids which I can probably do in after effects and then spit out those frames in pretty much anything ranging from Modul8 or director.

So I guess the big software question is not the live part but what the easiest way of doing those grids. I know I *can* do them in after effects but if there is an easier way...
Tommy DOG

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 am

revmutt wrote: So I guess the big software question is not the live part but what the easiest way of doing those grids. I know I *can* do them in after effects but if there is an easier way...
i think after effects would be the easiest way. You could make an animation preset that would take a stack of layers and build the grid for you (use an expression for position). Then you just have to make a new comp, order the layers, and push a button. Voila! It would be a lot easier to make a bunch of them.

Any editing program can do the grids, but you'd have to do each one at a time.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sun May 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I had totally forgotten that I had my friends older copy of Final Cut Studio. He had given me a bunch of his older software (licenses and all) a while back.

Motion 4 is the simplest answer for the compiling of multiple clips in the same window as tiles. I was actually shocked at how smooth it functioned on my old ass computer.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Tommy DOG

Return to “Video Synthesis”