Curbside charity

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Curbside charity

Post by revmutt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I just found a racked unit containing a Tektronix 528A Waveform monitor and 1420 Vectorscope with a note saying "free"

I only powered them on to see if they did indeed power up. I downloaded the specs but didn't look at them because I had to go back to work. Hopefully, I will find out later that they will be good for doing Vector rescanning.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

they probably won't be able to do any vector output, but they are very good for calibrating analog video sources! These are specialized displays mostly used for ensuring quality for broadcast.

Still, a rad thing to get for free!

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm

johnnywoods wrote:they probably won't be able to do any vector output, but they are very good for calibrating analog video sources! These are specialized displays mostly used for ensuring quality for broadcast.

Still, a rad thing to get for free!
Thanks Johnny. I under normal circumstances would definitely bow to your expertise on things video. I am going to maintain some magical thinking for a little while longer just because it would be so convenient to use instead of my Tektronix 620.
Tommy DOG

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Yep, Johnny's right... unless you see XYZ inputs on the back, then it's not going to be usable as a rescan monitor. But yes, very useful to have in your rack!

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

I can confirm what the others said. These will not display X/Y signals as a vector display. The "Vector" in the name Vectorscope is talking about chroma phase vectors.

These are excellent devices to have and are great for looking at the signals going in or out of your system. Any small studio should have a pair.

The waveform monitor is similar to an oscilloscope, but with preset frequency and voltage settings. It shows you the shape of the sync and video portions of a composite video signal. Great for seeing if signals are hot or not, or are clipping. Or if the sync is too large or small.

The vectorscope shows a graph of the color phase and saturation for a composite video signal. It's a circle where the center represents no color and the outside of the circle represents full color. The different angles around the circle show the 360 degrees of phase for the color subcarrier. Different phases give different colors. There are little boxes on the screen to show where the colors from standard color bars should show up. (Red, Green, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow)

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks ladies and gentleman. A quick read and glance over the unit and yep still gonna be rocking my particularly large 620 BUT I do find the visuals that can be generated by the Vectorscope enjoyable and may find some creative use as well.
Tommy DOG

Return to “Video Synthesis”