LZX 2Q 2013 Announcements/Releases: TVFKG/VBM Revisions

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

LZX 2Q 2013 Announcements/Releases: TVFKG/VBM Revisions

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi video wigglers. I'm sorry I've been a bit MIA from the forum the past few months, we've been busy working on a slew of new releases for this year.

As planned, the 8-Stage Video Quantizer/Sequencer is set to ship by midmonth and the Color Time Base Corrector will ship shortly afterward.

We're also in the process of a long overdue restock of Video Waveform Generator, Video Blending Matrix, and Triple Video Fader & Key Generator. The latter two of these modules are moving to a significant functional revision. Price points will stay the same or get bumped slightly (less than $50, but I don't anticipate this.) These are all going into production immediately and shipping next month (May.) Following is a preview of the new frontpanels as well as a sneak peek of one of many expanders planned for the new Video Blending Matrix.

And here is a list of changes/revisions compared to previous versions.

Triple Video Fader & Key Generator
- Addition of a Soft Key mode to all channels. This mode adds a powerful linear keying/key generator feature to the module. A new variable softness control determines the hardness of the edge.
- Invert switch applies to all keying modes and Fade mode. In Fade mode it switches the A>B direction to B>A.

Video Blending Matrix CORE
- The most significant changes in this module involve its expandability, both in terms of additional control and additional types of output mix expander modules. An example of a CONTROL expander is shown here, offering global sliders, mute switches and CV inputs to control the gain of each triple column on the core module. Many expanders are planned.
- Module has expanded from 22HP to 24HP.
- "1-n" mode switches have been omitted, this function can be achieved with the three dedicated bias controls now on the module.
- Each attenuverter and bias controls have a "dead" spot for true nulling in the center 10% of each knob. This should eliminate channel bleedthrough previously seen.
- An additional set of analogue logic outputs ("MAX") have been added. This is a non-additive mixing mode in which signals are not added together, but instead the brightest of all inputs on a row is passed to the output at any point in time.

Don't panic -- these revisions do NOT at all make your existing modules obsolete or not as interesting. These are two very important core modules, which are meant to be doubled, tripled or quadrupled up on as an LZX system grows to multiply the possibilities of complex patching configurations. We're adding some new features after the first couple years of playing with the system and user feedback.

Please let me know if you have any questions, looking forward to getting new stuff out!

Revok
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Revok » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Love those sliders.

How do the control expanders connect? It'd be cool to have a separate skiff with control in mind.

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:18 pm

How do the control expanders connect? It'd be cool to have a separate skiff with control in mind.
10-pin IDC ribbon cable (standard kind of thing.) I think a 6U skiff with an "output row" on the top (VBM, CVE, etc.) and a "controller row" on the bottom would be pretty nice. :) I could do a DSUB serial port style connector module as a custom job if anyone really needs it.

Revok
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Revok » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Agreed! This is a nice update.

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:44 pm

amazing. gonna be time to get another case soon :bang:

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 pm

MUTES!

samn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by samn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 pm

That VBM control looks killer! Also hard and soft keying should be pretty interesting :)

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm

^indeed. possibly freeing up the multi-mode filter from key signals

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:59 pm

possibly freeing up the multi-mode filter from key signals
There's a very big visual difference between linear soft keys and filtered hard keys! It'll be nice to have both tools in the palette.
MUTES!
Mutes were the one big "must" feature add for me. It'll make fine tuning those color mixes so much easier. If you need trigger control over muting, the Video Flip Flops module is perfect, with Set/Reset/Toggle and control and frame-locked outputs.

The CV inputs over column gain here are all video rate, which means they could also function as key inputs. This, combined with the possibilities of patching up crossfading configurations with the VBM+Control directly, will really free up TVFKG to function as a more versatile swiss army knife module instead of needing to be tied up for RGB fading needs.

Other expanders for VBM planned include a linear scanner/colorizer controller (which can be used independent or in conjunction with the "control" module) and a complex mix expander offering RGB-to-Y based analog logic (brightest column is selected based on RGB mix) and priority-based mixing (columns ABCD are treated as "layers" 1234 based on alpha channel inputs.)

raulsworldofsynths
I'd patch that!

Post by raulsworldofsynths » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm

This is exciting news. Not having a TVFKG or VBM I'm glad I waited a bit.
:tu:

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

:sb: awesome!!

i've been planning to add more TVFKGs to my system for a while. and the addition of soft-edge keying makes it all the more enticing! :tu:

cheers
“they say i'm a fool. they say i'm nothing, but if i'm a fool for you - well that's something...”

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:28 pm

raulsworldofsynths wrote:This is exciting news. Not having a TVFKG or VBM I'm glad I waited a bit.
:tu:
Indeed, not hurting so much to be a little late to the party.

Do you know the expected price points of the new modules yet?

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Re: LZX 2Q 2013 Announcements/Releases: TVFKG/VBM Revisions

Post by numan7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm

lizlarsen wrote:Hi video wigglers...
Price points will stay the same or get bumped slightly (less than $50, but I don't anticipate this.)
“they say i'm a fool. they say i'm nothing, but if i'm a fool for you - well that's something...”

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

As for the VBM expander(s), I have put most of the expensive stuff on the core module, so they should be cheap. The control expander with features as pictured here (subject to change) will be in the ~$199 price range.

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Re: LZX 2Q 2013 Announcements/Releases: TVFKG/VBM Revisions

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:49 pm

numan7 wrote:
lizlarsen wrote:Hi video wigglers...
Price points will stay the same or get bumped slightly (less than $50, but I don't anticipate this.)
I was wondering about the price points for the color tbc and quantizer/sequencer.

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Color TBC is $399 and Quantizer/Sequencer is $599.

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:55 pm

i suppose itll be a while before the frame buffer comes out

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I think we'll be in buffer territory this Summer. Right now I'm in the process of trying to "complete" our analog module design goals to clear the slate and focus on FPGA-related buffer and record/playback stuff entirely for a while.

Common Wiggler

Post by default » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm

:party:

Excellent news Liz! Looking forward to putting an updated TVFKG in the rack. When you you say 'May', is that early or late? Well, your best estimate at least?
WTB: LZX, Snazzy Dronebank, 4hp Dixie(s), E340
WTT: My Dixie II for your 4hp Dixie
Stuff For Sale:FSR-4 (MkII)/A-121/Gozinta/A-138a

Sound:Default Jamerson/Decent Therapy/Pewter Snake Necklace
Video:Default Jamerson/Decent Therapy/Pewter Snake Necklace
Label:Sabbatical

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:58 pm

6 weeks from now would be the earliest to in stock at AH, so late May.

Dofkev
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dofkev » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm

wow, I wish I would have known about this 12 hours earlier. I just bought both of these used last night :bang: Oh well, I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of them, but that soft key function sounds really nice.

Common Wiggler

Post by default » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

lizlarsen wrote:6 weeks from now would be the earliest to in stock at AH, so late May.
Cheers. Plenty of time to save up then...
WTB: LZX, Snazzy Dronebank, 4hp Dixie(s), E340
WTT: My Dixie II for your 4hp Dixie
Stuff For Sale:FSR-4 (MkII)/A-121/Gozinta/A-138a

Sound:Default Jamerson/Decent Therapy/Pewter Snake Necklace
Video:Default Jamerson/Decent Therapy/Pewter Snake Necklace
Label:Sabbatical

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks for the pricing targets - I should have been more specific when I said 'New Modules' - Excuse the iPad post terse mode!

7ideoArT(y)
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7ideoArT(y) » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 am

Woo hoo! :banana: Thank you, Liz! :tu: (Love your new avatar btw, very nice!)

Looking forward to the VBM Control, when do you think those will be available? (I gathered from your "sneak peek" comment that it is coming later than May.)

Also, how big is it gonna be? Looks to be about 14hp?

Ty

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 am

VBM Control may come out with the restocks, its pretty much done (as well as the other expanders.) Just depends on production cashflow, the primary factor of which is how often Analogue Haven wants to release new LZX modules (they have been very generous so far.)

As shown here the expander is 12HP, but this is very much subject to change. This is one of many mockups I have for this concept.

Return to “Video Synthesis”