Critter & Guitari Videoscope

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Critter & Guitari Videoscope

Post by Kingnimrod » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:26 am

I know it's at the low-end here, but has anyone used this unit?

Tall Midget
Extra Value Super-Premium Wiggler

Post by Tall Midget » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:26 pm

I have the older unit, haven't really used it at all since recording this video, the Bugbrand Weevil used in the video really makes it a lot more interesting versus other instruments, I would skip like 3 or 5 minutes into the video though, the computer I was rendering the audio on was so slow that it took 4 hours to master so I didn't bother to cut the video at all.

[video][/video]

giorgio
NITE MIND

Post by giorgio » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:28 pm

i've messed with one that my roommate owns (and absolutely loves) a bit and it is okay. seems to be kinda low res or digital looking if that makes sense. but cool if audio reactivity is your thing, which apparently a lot of people really want, so there is a market for something like this. for the size, it is a great little portable device.
▲✌♡✂☃☂☁☀☻☹☺♢✄✐☒☠☣☢☤☎✇✈✖▼

hollowman
blind rhinoceros

Post by hollowman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 am

looks fun (but pricey for what it does....??)
anything else similar?
:despair:
Beautiful broken machine.

hawklord2112 wrote:
then again my first two modules were a vca and PLL, wth do i know?

archerofloaf
Common Wiggler

Post by archerofloaf » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 am

I've been looking into getting one of these merely for the fact that it's very reactive to audio stuff, especially bassy sounds. The one I messed around with at Control Voltage was super fun.

I know it's definitely at the low-end of things for folks here, but for a guy who needs old school audio reactive visuals and doesn't know a damn thing about modular video synthesis, the price isn't too bad.

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:02 pm

it is a pretty cool device. Personally, I think you can get a lot more out of the Gieske Hss3j (or even his video sampler, which is wonderful with audio input).

If you can track one down at a reasonable price, I still think the Atari Video Music is king in this department.

fletch
Common Wiggler

Post by fletch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I have the first model videoscope for sale, let me know if you're interested.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I played around with one the other day. I thought it was fun. I don't know how it differs from a technological standpoint with their cellular automata device or any of the other stand alone visualizers.

My fear is always that if they are too microchip based they will die. Ths snt totally rational.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 am

the cellular automata just generates a pixelated pattern and glitchy sounds. you have control over the speed that the patterns redraw and the rule and witdth of the patterns/sound. kinda fun but pretty limited

bitSmasher
Common Wiggler

Post by bitSmasher » Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 pm

CA is insane, and bit of fun... one of them and a HSS3* together is insane fun.
I like limited toys like this, had an old Videoscope that fried (shorted the bare pcb) but still want to buy another one or two. Great for 90's video clip styles with keying. Need a silhuette dancer module to match.

starpause
Common Wiggler

Post by starpause » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 pm

i'm interested in all audio reactive video synths so i had to try the videoscope out when i was at switchedon. i was excited for it because i love hooking up an audio signal to my oscilloscope and dialing it in. i wish the videoscope was that fun but it didn't have enough controls for me. the few video modes are cool but i would have been happier with one knob for t/div and one knob for v/div.

along those lines (and in line w/ hollowman)... anyone know an oscilloscope with composite or svideo out? i didn't find any googling around last month so i started dreaming of making one out of an rPi & soundcard.

Spacey Blurr
Common Wiggler

Post by Spacey Blurr » Tue May 14, 2013 12:09 am

Tall Midget wrote:I have the older unit, haven't really used it at all since recording this video, the Bugbrand Weevil used in the video really makes it a lot more interesting versus other instruments, I would skip like 3 or 5 minutes into the video though, the computer I was rendering the audio on was so slow that it took 4 hours to master so I didn't bother to cut the video at all.

[video][/video]

I thought it was boring until we put the weevil through it and became much more interesting. Ah that's how you're supposed to play this thing.

Return to “Video Synthesis”