MVIP is back

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa, daverj

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

MVIP is back

Post by daverj » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm

I have a new run of MVIP eurorack modules now available. The new version (Mk 2) is functionally identical to the original version. Same inputs, outputs, same processing, same front panel. The only differences are physical. The new version is shallower (2.0 inches deep instead of 2.65 inches), and it uses 200ma of +12 and 75ma of -12 instead of 140ma of each.

Same US$595 price.

There's no online ordering. If you are interested in one, send me an email at contact_mail@djdesign.com with your shipping info so I can calculate shipping cost. I accept checks or PayPal.

jroman
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MVIP is back

Post by jroman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Just an endorsement here for the MVIP and Dave personally. It is a great all-in-one unit that lets you control some very neat effects with minimal fuss. I picked one up second hand and Dave helped me troubleshoot a problem with it, offered to fix it, and then sent me a part so I could DIY it.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 am

I was watching the mk1 a year ago since i wanted to do some video to go with the modular. Would this benefit if im not into buying a shitload on video modules? I mean, i want to play live and feed some live footage in there, modulate en spit it back out into a beamer, but mainly keep my interest in the modular music...

jroman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jroman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:15 am

Halfgeleider wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 am
I was watching the mk1 a year ago since i wanted to do some video to go with the modular. Would this benefit if im not into buying a shitload on video modules? I mean, i want to play live and feed some live footage in there, modulate en spit it back out into a beamer, but mainly keep my interest in the modular music...
I'd say this is exactly what you want for that purpose. It's an all-in-one device that processes a full color composite video feed which you should be able to get from any older consumer camcorder. Devices like the LZX VIdiot or Gieskes 3trinsRGB+1c will take that same input but throw away the color information before they add effects (that is, they only work with the luma part of the video signal). The CV ins on the MVIP are designed for audio / CV ±5V signals (unlike the video ±1V standard used in LZX systems), so you can just connect it to whatever audio module you like and (in theory) get the full range of the video effect. The MVIP gives you enough variety in and control over its effects to keep things interesting but doesn't demand the full attention of the performer the way a full rack of video synth gear would. It can definitely be a one-and-done solution for adding video to your rig.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:21 am

FYI lax vidiot is discontinued

The replacement Chromagnon, which is on pre-order for late March release, has colour input via composite and component

It will function standalone (colorization and shape manipulation ) as a camera / video feed processor or integrate as a core module in a larger lzx system ie you can add more video modules if you like...
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply on this, i would like to use a gopro cam and an old Hi8 cam for this. I know its only one input so i will have to decide which im going to use.
I know chromagnon is coming, but to add video in a live situation, the rig would get to big, and my wallet to empty im afraid.... so the MVIP is more in my alley i think... any reliable adapters from component to VGA available ?
Dont know how many of these are in the batch, purchase is not possible right now because have some other goodies on the way.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Halfgeleider wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 am
The MVIP is a stand-alone module, so doesn't require anything else to work. You can feed a video signal in and control it manually with th knobs, or feed in +/-5 volt CVs from any Eurorack oscillator, envelope generator, or other device.

The current run is for 100 of these, so they should be available for some time. If they sell out I may do another run after that.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm

If anybody has sent me an email and didn't get a reply, please check your spam folder. For some reason some of my emails are ending up in people's spam folders.

If you expected a reply and didn't get one, and it's not in your spam folder, your mail box might be full. At least one person that I replied to, my replies are bouncing because their icloud email box is full. My replies can't get through until they delete some emails from their account to make room. If that happens with you, then after deleting some emails, send another email to me and I'll reply again.

I always reply to emails within 1 or 2 days at the most.

Thanks for the support folks...

bentoncbainbridge
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Sat May 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Ah! Just seeing this, Dave. Good to hear MVIP is back and a better fit for shallow cases!
Rue Bainbridge premieres "Iner Plats" in Vector Hack 2020 Screening 1

Return to “Video Synthesis”