Was the XY Series Vaporware?

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

Thoth
Common Wiggler

Was the XY Series Vaporware?

Post by Thoth » Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am

Just wanted to see for sure; kind of gave up on waiting for it after a while, but now seeing the Cadet and Expedition stuff, I guess XY got passed up?

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon May 02, 2016 12:22 pm

I suspect it was a matter of priorities. I can't speak for anyone else, of course. Your priorities may well be very different from mine. However, here are mine. The XY series should, I think, be a lower priority than restocking existing modules. That's my personal priority. You may have one or more of all the Visionary modules you want, I don't know. I'm still building the basics of my video synth. I don't have a keying module or a mapper. They were gone before I had a chance to buy them. So I can wait for the XY series until after everything else is restocked. That's my priority, right there.

That means Darkplace has a higher priority, too. Nevermind the restocking runs last year to use up old components likes panels and PCBs. It looks like assembling those modules took longer than anticipated. Did you see the people complaining about the long wait for their modules? Then there was the move to Portland...A lot of importand modules were out of stock for a long time. Apparently the VWG was out of stock for a year or more. Many are still out of stock.

Everyone at LZX and Darkplace has my sympathy. Everyone waiting for their modules, too. I got my modules on time. We're now seeing the long wait pay off. The Big Restocking is happening! :party: :party: :party:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Mon May 02, 2016 2:18 pm

My priority is "more"

There are Visual Cortex's available out there and with that you have the basics of a video synth...

Also, the NEW mapper is available right now. At least in the U.S.

Lately, its been like 3 modules in just a couple months (not counting the cadet series!) I know there has been some waiting going on the past but there is no reason to complain today. Quit your bitchin'. 8-)

To answer the OP's question... I certainly hope that the XY Series wasn't Vaporware! Those looked handy.

Lars, any insight on those particular modular ideas you had?

AR126
Wiggling with Experience

Post by AR126 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:59 pm

:eyes:
single-celled wiggler

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Mon May 02, 2016 10:07 pm

nerdware wrote:The XY series should, I think, be a lower priority than restocking existing modules.....I'm still building the basics of my video synth.....I can wait for the XY series until after everything else is restocked.
+1. I'm in the same boat! I hope the XY series becomes available nonetheless.

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Mon May 02, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm sure Lars will chime in soon, but last I heard, the XY series is very, very close. The core of the series is the Prismatic Ray, which you can already see demos of in prototype form!

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Polykrom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polykrom » Tue May 03, 2016 10:18 am

If you're on Facebook, there's a bit of interesting info to be found in the Video Circuits and LZX Users groups. Last thing I heard was that they are releasing modules at a rate of 2 per month, and that the XY series are up next after the Prismatic Ray. I guess the new filter & noise module is coming after that, and there are also pictures circulating of a panel design for an ILDA laser interface, which I guess would go well with the XY series

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue May 03, 2016 11:03 am

2 per month? Wow. Thanks.

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

I have heard similar to Johnnywoods. We need core releases more than advanced processing modules now. Or I should say 'the market' needs them. I don't know exactly how many folk are sitting out there with advanced/huge video rigs (I do know of a few!) but I think getting the cadets launched and the original core modules updated and rereleased will position LZX for smoother product flow in the future.

The 2 per month plan has been slower in practice, we've seen translator, mapper, and now passage at 1-2 month intervals, but it looks like most of the backlog is caught up according to LZX' latest FB post

I could use about 6 more oscillators! :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sun May 08, 2016 8:43 pm

To use the term "vapor ware" suggests promises not kept, a manufacturer couldn't come though, etc. Usually in these cases a company also completely disappears from public view.

-When you are talking about a company that is not only exploring new terrain but managing to release a hefty output in both new and revised modules, you are grossly misusing the expression.

If I sound a bit reactive it's because a number of my close friends are in the business of building equipment and instruments and I am always kind of shocked at how people often don't understand what it takes to design and build something and do all the revisions necessary to make it a releasable product.

I my self am not a patient person, like most people I want what I want when I want it AND I really want these modules as well BUT let's not use the term "vapor ware" it's not appropriate.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

goldenliustra
Common Wiggler

Post by goldenliustra » Mon May 09, 2016 3:39 am

Dirty_Bill wrote:I could use about 6 more oscillators! :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:
So true!

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon May 09, 2016 4:25 am

revmutt wrote:When you are talking about a company that is not only exploring new terrain but managing to release a hefty output in both new and revised modules, you are grossly misusing the expression.
Beautifully put. You have a talent for restrained understatement. Thanks. Anything I add to that will be poor and overstated, but... I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I'm amazed and grateful that anyone is doing any of this modular synth stuff. So imagine how I feel about video synth modules. Like you, I have some appreciation for the hard work that goes into making complex devices. People don't just shit this stuff out their butts.

Nevermind the effort it takes to run a business.

04tm34l3
Common Wiggler

Post by 04tm34l3 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:41 pm

I posted on facebook that I dreamed about the xy series and this was Lars's reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_I4wtNPv5w

Trust in Lars! If it wasn't for him we would not have access to this amazing technology!

Return to “Video Synthesis”