New Gieskes Video Synth from Bleep Labs: 3TrinsRGB+1c

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe., daverj

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Yes, couldn't you use the colour (-) pins e.g. B- or Out pins e.g. Bout to do triggering? I thought that would be simple, you can probably trigger a bunch of things

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:32 pm

The button switches the blue channel between horizontal and vertical, and the width of the bars along with the reduced frequency range are the same with both. Only the blue channel is doing it.
The only thing I can think of is that I must have got the polarity of something wrong. Its hard to see the polarity markings once all the components are on the board, though.
I'll have to try and go over it with a fine tooth comb sometime in the next day or two.

Dirty_Bill wrote:
cephalopod wrote:So I finished my kit, and everything works fine, except the range of the blue oscillator.
Turning the pot only moves through a very small range of frequencies compared to the other 2 oscillators. I looked over the board and didn't notice any mistakes.
Anyone with more experience than I have an idea what component might need closer inspection?
Does the button move the osc to audio rates (horizontal lines?)

I don't have the answer (other then recheck all the components/solder joints in that section...

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:10 am

Here's a better example of triggering using the CV inputs to color-/sync/and outputs - with the comparator and a filter, with a lot of self patching and using some caps as patch cables from the LFOS. You can see my hands in red on the controls...

EDIT: Moved to Doodles as it's pretty long...

colorsinwaves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by colorsinwaves » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:43 am

Dirty_Bill wrote:
colorsinwaves wrote:I wish it had a way to trigger on/off like a gate. For a club environment and doing live visuals, it would be better to flash on/off to audio or CV input. Otherwise it will constantly be light/bright. Doesn't seem this is possible to cut/gate signals. The inputs only affect the pitch.
I built a crude manual trigger last night on the breadboard, using just a FSR (Force Sensitive Resistor) to control the modulation of one channel. It's be pretty straightforward to make a switch/vactrol control that could be controlled by an external gate or envelope follower.

Here's a crude example (gated at the TICK)

[video][/video]
Great stuff Bill! So it is possible for the 3Trins to accept CV gate on every channel (R,G,B + Video input) separately?

Cheers

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ETP » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:46 am

the ticktock vimeo doesn´t show up in the forum.

am i the only one who can´t see it?

colorsinwaves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by colorsinwaves » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 am

The video link is only visible in the reply box

Tama2d2
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Tama2d2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:07 am

Nice

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 am

colorsinwaves wrote:The video link is only visible in the reply box

Strange, other's have had that issue too... it shows up for me OK.

I just used CVs, not gates (but technically they're ALL CVs!) and tuned the response of the controls to get an ON/OFF effect...

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Figured out the mistake I made on mine and got it working the other day (with the help of dr. bleep)
Heres a quick vid of the first patch

[video][/video]

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 am

Here's a (very) quick test of using the LZX Cortex RGB outs (signals to ~1V with an LF353). It's only two channels on the breadboard now...

[video][/video]

akirasrebirth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akirasrebirth » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:47 pm

I made this videoclip with the 3trinsrgb+1c
setup:
3trinsrgb+1c
Edirol V4
videosynthohm 1
[video][/video]

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 am

Dirty_Bill wrote:Here's a (very) quick test of using the LZX Cortex RGB outs (signals to ~1V with an LF353). It's only two channels on the breadboard now...
I posted a longer and more interesting sample in the 'Doodles' topic...

Thee Loving Hand
Common Wiggler

Post by Thee Loving Hand » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Would I be correct in thinking that this machine would be the perfect intro in to the world of video synthesis? I'm a loving everything I've seen

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:52 am

Thee Loving Hand wrote:Would I be correct in thinking that this machine would be the perfect intro in to the world of video synthesis? I'm a loving everything I've seen
It's simple and compact. It is probably the lowest cost of entry to the video world that is not 'glitch' based. There are some limits on what it can do but for the cost these are acceptable, and could be addressed with some creative patching.

I'm enjoying mine quite a bit.

maxajax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxajax » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm a complete newbie to video synthesis. I'm a liquid light show artist and seems interesting on mixing both techniques. I'm planning on buyimg some basic equipment. For a starter system, is this 3TrinsRGB1 the best option? i've been also looking at the LZX Visual Cortex, but are they even comparable units? Is the 3TrinsRGB1 better as a stand alone basic equipment? Do i need all the Eurorack cases for this unit? Thanks, for any guidance in this whole matter

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

maxajax wrote:I'm a complete newbie to video synthesis. I'm a liquid light show artist and seems interesting on mixing both techniques. I'm planning on buyimg some basic equipment. For a starter system, is this 3TrinsRGB1 the best option? i've been also looking at the LZX Visual Cortex, but are they even comparable units? Is the 3TrinsRGB1 better as a stand alone basic equipment? Do i need all the Eurorack cases for this unit? Thanks, for any guidance in this whole matter
How do you present your current work? I assume you already have a a camera or video/overhead projector? It seems from your post that you do not already have a Euorack or other analog system, correct?

The 3Trins will give you the most bang for the buck as it is a self contained processing and synthesis system. The Cortex really needs some other signal generation, although it does have powerful coloring, mixing and keying features not found in the 3Trins.

A lot depends on what your artistic intent will be - You'd get a different palette with each device ... take a look at some of the demos posted of each here in the doodle section for more ideas...

crowhurst
Common Wiggler

Post by crowhurst » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 am

+1 for 3TrinsRGB1 plus maybe a cheap video mixer for keying as a good self contained starter set on a small budget..

maxajax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxajax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Dirty_Bill wrote:
How do you present your current work? I assume you already have a a camera or video/overhead projector? It seems from your post that you do not already have a Euorack or other analog system, correct?

The 3Trins will give you the most bang for the buck as it is a self contained processing and synthesis system. The Cortex really needs some other signal generation, although it does have powerful coloring, mixing and keying features not found in the 3Trins.

A lot depends on what your artistic intent will be - You'd get a different palette with each device ... take a look at some of the demos posted of each here in the doodle section for more ideas...
Thanks for your answers
I currently have a camera attached to the overhead projector, im in the process of getting a video overhead. And no i currently dont have any eurorack o analog systems.

i think the 3trins will be the best entry device from what u have posted, maybe later as i get more into video synth i can acquire a Visual Cortex, am I correct? thanks again

cburst
Learning to Wiggle

purchased the kit, having some trouble

Post by cburst » Tue May 05, 2015 8:15 pm

hi-

i am a complete beginner, i purchased this kit, assembled it to the best of my ability, and i'm having some trouble. the audio works, the leds, potentiometers, and switches work, but there is no video output. any idea how i can troubleshoot the device?

ThatFunnyLookinGuy
Common Wiggler

Re: purchased the kit, having some trouble

Post by ThatFunnyLookinGuy » Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 am

cburst wrote:hi-

i am a complete beginner, i purchased this kit, assembled it to the best of my ability, and i'm having some trouble. the audio works, the leds, potentiometers, and switches work, but there is no video output. any idea how i can troubleshoot the device?
Have you made sure the top-most row of switches are flipped to the left? I ran into this problem when I built mine as well and that turned out to be the problem.

cburst
Learning to Wiggle

Re: purchased the kit, having some trouble

Post by cburst » Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 am

ThatFunnyLookinGuy wrote:
cburst wrote:hi-

Have you made sure the top-most row of switches are flipped to the left? I ran into this problem when I built mine as well and that turned out to be the problem.
turns out i had the oscillators in the wrong place. thanks for the tip though!

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Sat May 09, 2015 12:55 am

Uoki-Toki wrote::hmm:
What the hell dude. Are you talking with emoticons? You posted one in every article. :ripbanana:
What range for CV on this one?

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Mon May 11, 2015 2:58 pm

MATSmile wrote:
Uoki-Toki wrote::hmm:
What the hell dude. Are you talking with emoticons? You posted one in every article. :ripbanana:
What range for CV on this one?
:bang: :yay: :nana: :banana: :sb: is about the correct Range I think...

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 am

Heads up
kits are currently available. :yay:

The prettiest patinas are already gone though. :waah:

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:00 pm

i bought 2!!

now to make a custom patching panel..with :banana:

Return to “Video Synthesis”