Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, governor blacksnake, solidox

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Zorlon Cannon MKII....?

Post by atari5200 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Sooo....when is this baby going to be available?
The MKI was near the top of my list for a while but I've held off buying one ever since the MKII was announced. It looks like it's been a while since there's been an update on this model, though. Any news as to when they will be out? And maybe a price?

I'm hoping it's :75:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 am

it's on my list too
along with the other harvestman to come

4rbourtrarium
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 4rbourtrarium » Sun May 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm also very interested in this. Hope we get some specs and details soon.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm finishing this up while I wait for the factory to build the Hertz Donut. It's close.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:I'm finishing this up while I wait for the factory to build the Hertz Donut. It's close.

looking forward to this one. i think it'll be my next harvestman module.

:drunkhomer: :moneyburn:

Count Edlington
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Count Edlington » Wed May 29, 2013 2:48 am

ignatius wrote:
governor blacksnake wrote:I'm finishing this up while I wait for the factory to build the Hertz Donut. It's close.

looking forward to this one. i think it'll be my next harvestman module.

:drunkhomer: :moneyburn:
Me too, I've been dying for this since I found out about it.

hdbreak
Common Wiggler

Post by hdbreak » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Any news on this? I see AH has most of the MKII's models in and English Tear as well.
I haven't seriously searched but it looks like in the image on modulargrid that the qotile ultimatum has been incorporated, i.e. no expander. If so that's nice!

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:38 pm

I've finished the build of the HD and English Tear, and the Zorlon Cannon goes to the factory at the end of the month. Just waiting for parts and PCBs to arrive.

hdbreak
Common Wiggler

Post by hdbreak » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Very excited for this. Thanks for the info.

msdosmedicin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by msdosmedicin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Oh boy I am so excited about this module! The pitched atari noise seems really unique, can't wait to try it.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Damm.... need more money.... and more HP

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Does anyone know what it actually does?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 pm

IT IS SO MUCH FUN

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 pm

wavecircle wrote:Does anyone know what it actually does?

but really...

ps - this is the info on the MKI. MKII will have some other features per harvestman's FB page. but i forget the details.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/theharvest ... loncannon/

voltage-controlled pseudorandom pulse and pitched noise generator.

the design of this module was inspired by the logically economical and timbrally memorable sound generation method of atari's 8-bit computers, also found on their 2600 and 5200 series video game systems. the four parallel audio outputs operate with similar spectral behavior and a much-improved frequency resolution. this section of the module offers several different flavors of pitched audio noise with varying degrees of periodicity. toggle switches are available for changing the behavior of each output, from more noisy behavior to a pure square wave. manual and voltage control of the audio frequency is available.

the upper section of the zorlon cannon operates upon the same principles, at a much lower rate. each of the outputs here generates a 12 volt gate signal at a pseudorandom interval, with each output offering a different sequence length. in addition to voltage control of the update period, you may adjust the seed value for a different repeating sequence of gates.

examples:
pitched noise section:
+5: use the toggle switches to modify each output! each switch adds an additional stage of logical and with the 5-bit output for less periodicity, with the switch for the 5-bit output allowing passage of a pure square wave instead. for the two longer outputs, the switches enable divided-down bass sounds similar to your favorite single-bit sound generators.

digital noise: use the 17-bit output for classic "grey noise" effects, carrying a very particular spectral distribution in contrast to its analog counterparts.

random gates section:
random sequence: patch each of the four gate outputs into a module such as a doepfer a-138c polarizing mixer, and set the levels as desired. patch the output of the mixer into the cv input of your favorite oscillator. the effect is similar to that of blacet's "binary zone", only with random availability of each voltage level with a very long period for the combined "sequence".
Last edited by ignatius on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm

It is a set of 8 linear feedback shift registers, grouped into 2 sets being controlled by two simple clock generators (with attenuverting CV input.) The clocks track 1v/oct and have a very wide range. At LFO rates the outputs can be thought of as "random" gate generators, at audio rates they generate pitched tones or noise depending on the configuration of that particular register. This method of tone generation was used in many computer and video game sound chips in the 1980s, especially in the Atari 8-bit line. Zorlon Cannon allows the user to finely control these types of sounds .

Each half of the module has 4 mixer knobs (bipolar) for mixing the outputs down to a fifth output. At low frequencies you can make strange repeating sequences similar to the old Binary Zone module, and at audio rates you can generate really thick drones. The clock generator on each half can be overridden by an external signal, triggering the registers on rising edges, OR both rising and falling (which enables PWM effects). Clocking one half with the other sounds great.

The center part of the module is an edit facility for configuring the behavior of each of the 8 outputs. Using two buttons and a rotary encoder, you may select the register length and tap configuration to fine-tune the periodicity of each output stream. An external input is provided for re-seeding the shift registers; when used with non-maximal tap configurations it allows the user to remotely change the sequence length, or rhythmically vary the timbre at audio rates. One memory location is provided for storing the output configurations in flash memory. The currently selected output is displayed on an LED bar graph. Feedback taps are indicated by illuminated LEDs.

It functions somewhere between a dual chip music oscillator, noise generator, and random gate or CV sequencer.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:14 pm

that sounds cool as hell

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm

dude wrote:that sounds cool as hell
it sure does.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 am

I starting to get suddenly emotive .....
:waah:

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:48 am

The original had fixed divisions and there was a clear audio and CV section? I am guessing that this one is a free for all where all 8 registers are settable to a number of divisions and all can either be CV/gate or audio? It would be good to see it in action, very interesting module.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am

The upper 4 outputs are 10V gates, and the lower 4 are 10vpp audio. Both are interchangeable for either application if you don't mind a little DC management.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 am

double post
Last edited by mudlogger on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:04 am

double double post :bang:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:46 am

It's so precious....
you need gloves to touch it

:hail:

jbucks
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbucks » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:04 am

Maybe a dumb question: I'm looking for a random voltage source, and interested in this or the Wogglebug, but they look like quite different modules. What are the differences and similarities?

Return to “The Harvestman”