Harvestman: Double Andore Available at AH

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:03 am

Sinamsis wrote:Just had a chance to patch with the mk I. I still need to read more, but it's fairly intuitive. I really dig it. It's weird, I like the griminess that this adds, but still have trouble with the Tyme Sefari mk II.
This is really nice. I was just listening to Actress this morning (who I love) and this is a bit similar. What problems are you having with the Tyme Sefari?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Voggg wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:Just had a chance to patch with the mk I. I still need to read more, but it's fairly intuitive. I really dig it. It's weird, I like the griminess that this adds, but still have trouble with the Tyme Sefari mk II.
This is really nice. I was just listening to Actress this morning (who I love) and this is a bit similar. What problems are you having with the Tyme Sefari?
Thanks so much.

I should've been more clear. Ha, the only trouble I'm having with Tyme Sefari is coaxing things out of it I like. I suspect it's a failure of my own imagination. Particularly I'm having trouble with the audio fidelity, which for some reason bothers me, but the DA mk I I appreciate. Haha, it's weird I know.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Voggg wrote:
Thanks so much.

I should've been more clear. Ha, the only trouble I'm having with Tyme Sefari is coaxing things out of it I like. I suspect it's a failure of my own imagination. Particularly I'm having trouble with the audio fidelity, which for some reason bothers me, but the DA mk I I appreciate. Haha, it's weird I know.
Make sure the Tyme Sefari input knob is at 12 o'clock. Past 12 o'clock introduces distortion.

Also, clicks/snaps/noise in LOOP mode might be due to non-zero crossings when the sample loops (or at sample start if not in LOOP mode). Maybe try sending it through a VCA with an envelope with enough attack to eliminate the click/snap/pop/crackle at the start of samples.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 am

mt3
You’ve always got the good tips man. Ha yeah I definitely noticed the ease with which the input clips, and I know it’s intentional and can be useful. I’ve just not quite mastered it like you have haha. And it’s all related to laziness on my part. I haven’t given up yet. I just have a long ways to go. I think the clicks and pops are what gets me.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Sinamsis wrote:mt3
You’ve always got the good tips man. Ha yeah I definitely noticed the ease with which the input clips, and I know it’s intentional and can be useful. I’ve just not quite mastered it like you have haha. And it’s all related to laziness on my part. I haven’t given up yet. I just have a long ways to go. I think the clicks and pops are what gets me.
Agreed the snap crackle pops can be harsh. In those cases try to treat it as "Newark style compression" and mixing it in with the original signal (or lowpassing Sefari's output and mixing it with the snapcracklepunk).

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:22 pm

mt3 wrote:
Agreed the snap crackle pops can be harsh. In those cases try to treat it as "Newark style compression" and mixing it in with the original signal (or lowpassing Sefari's output and mixing it with the snapcracklepunk).
Brilliant. I'll try it out. I keep fighting the urge to replace it with a Morphagene haha.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
mt3 wrote:
Brilliant. I'll try it out. I keep fighting the urge to replace it with a Morphagene haha.
Morphagene is very nearly perfect (as are Mungo C0, Assimil8r, and ER-301). Those do exactly what most people want and are looking for from modular sampling, so I'd recommend those to minimize the overhead/workarounds people have with Tyme Sefari.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 am

mt3 wrote:"Newark style compression"
:ripbanana: I am using this.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 am

Sinamsis wrote: I think the clicks and pops are what gets me.
I had this same issue, but my brain flipped, I think because other modules did not make clicks and pops quite as well as Tyme Sefari. Though I can't really articulate why. What I do know, is if you are after a clean sound, then Tyme Sefari is not the right module. mt3 suggested ones that are for that kind of sound. That was the impetus for the change in my brain. Accepting that it is not designed to sound clean and I stopped fighting it. When I did that, Tyme Sefari became a favorite of mine and I don't even care if the firmware gets updated anymore.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am

dysonant wrote:
Sinamsis wrote: I think the clicks and pops are what gets me.
I had this same issue, but my brain flipped, I think because other modules did not make clicks and pops quite as well as Tyme Sefari. Though I can't really articulate why. What I do know, is if you are after a clean sound, then Tyme Sefari is not the right module. mt3 suggested ones that are for that kind of sound. That was the impetus for the change in my brain. Accepting that it is not designed to sound clean and I stopped fighting it. When I did that, Tyme Sefari became a favorite of mine and I don't even care if the firmware gets updated anymore.
It’s hard for me to articulate because for the most part I embrace the gritty and grimey. But the character of its grit is what gets me. Maybe it’s the high frequency content. Lopassing it is very good and obvious solution that should have occurred to me. Still haven’t gotten around to trying it but it’s on my list. I’m not giving up on the TS but I do wish I could control it more, which again is my shortcoming not the modules. Anyways, I mentioned it because the character of the grit that DA mk I brings is something I enjoy, in contrast to the TS.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:13 pm

I'd written off the DA mk1 as long-since out of production and unavailable, so I was surprised to learn that AH still has a few of them in stock.

This is going into my Harvestman row, for sure. Years back I had one briefly, but I never invested time into it and ended up selling it for some other shiny. Going to give it another try, but in a Harvestman row rather than bothering around with playing nice with the less robotic kids.

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:08 pm

I just got an elektron analog four and started to use the CV outputs today with my PH mk3 and DA mk1.

Does anyone know what voltage the trigger input expects on the DA mk1?

Currently have it at 5 V but not sure if it's correct.

Return to “The Harvestman”