Harvestman: Double Andore Available at AH

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

nickciontea wrote:i believe that AH has the incorrect mA rating for this module..

i heard scott say he swapped for a different regulator and got it down to 185 or so.

scott?
Correct! I think it's closer to 140-150 now.

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Awesome it comes with a harvestman patch. :yay:
Thanks for making this module governor. This thing is genius.
I don't know how I got by without it before.
I'm sure I probably only know 10% off its capabilities too, if that. It's exceeding my expectations big time so far, which were pretty damn high.

Wow!
:harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman: :harvestman:
:love:

Scaff
Elbe Kontrollspannungsverein

Post by Scaff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm

hopefully the DA will be soon available in europe!
If your system doesn't sound good enough, you haven't spent enough

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Governor Blacksnake post from the locked thread - - - Surachai will be making a DA demonstration video shortly, but until then here are some tips and tricks:

- the envs will retrigger in all modes.
-hold down the cv select button to put a decimal point in one side of the display- this means you have selected the second bank of envelope shapes. on the factory rom it's just an interpolation from log to Lin to expo.
- hold down the AD/ASR/lfo button to invert its LEDs. This means that for that half of the module, you can select different shapes for the attack and decay curves.
-hold down the VCA law select button to light up the nearby red LED. This enables analog cross-amplitude modulation using the audio output of the other VCA.
-the external CV input accepts negative voltages, and can be assigned to more than one parameter. negative voltages will subtract from the knob value.
-The vca's expo mode is calibrated to slightly distort at 8V cv input. You can adjust the trimmer on the board for more or less distortion. The test pad on the pcb near the trimmer shows this reference voltage. I calibrate to 1.15V - more voltage means less distortion.
- The envelope ROMs can be written by wave256- just draw 32 waveforms, truncate the binary file before hex converting it, and burn to a 25LC640.

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Does it require an expander for the ROMs??

I've got some crazy ideas for new ROMs for this..
I've been thinking about wavetable control signals for a while, and have a lot on stockpile...!!

About to put in a Mouser order anyway.. might as well snag a handful of 25LC640s...

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Post by Mitchk1989 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Any manual or such with a chart of waveforms available?

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 am

first impressions.. this thing is crazy.. weird and wonderful. i'm enjoying trying to figure it out. some things are pretty straight forward and the tips posted above are helpful. i'm letting it trigger itself and running a macbeth dual osc through it and it sounds great. the shapes you can get in the attack/decay are just awesome. it makes little patterns here and there and makes things bounce a little depending on what waveform you have dialed up. but will also do pretty normal things.. but with normal in the way of the harvestman.

fun module. easy to get creative with it.

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 am

You're gonna love it Scaff.
I agree it is crazy but it is not as nuts as I imagined.
It can do mellow better than you'd think, if you don't have one yet.
It can do distorted glitched out craziness as well of course. But this thing is a swiss army knife for sure. Even though it's way different it has the flexibility of maths.
This is the new king module for small systems imho.
A piston honda, stillson hammer and a DA make for possibly the smallest yet most powerful set up yet. Or at least the most fun in three modules.
I love it with the two harvestman oscillators, it was obviously made for them.
Like the piston honda it can sound gnar or it can sound smooth.
I think its quite intuitive to use also, it's a great design. The write up about it on the Harvestman website is enough directions to figure it out. Or at least get started with it.
It screams I'm full of tricks.

I'm down for some more waveforms for sure. Is there an expander on the way?

I really like it. I've had it on most of the day, it's just so fun and reeks of possibilities. I haven't even tried it for video yet.
:wow: :harvestman:

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 am

I shipped a bunch of them to Schneiders Buero yesterday, they will arrive Monday.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 am

No expander is planned for the ROMs, but since we're just talking envelope shapes you could draw all 32 of them in no time. I'll upload the .256 file that I used for the preset shapes so you can copy them to a new file if you like.

pas
bump

Post by pas » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Last edited by pas on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeoffC
Squeak Twitter Plonk

Post by GeoffC » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:47 pm

governor blacksnake wrote:No expander is planned for the ROMs, but since we're just talking envelope shapes you could draw all 32 of them in no time. I'll upload the .256 file that I used for the preset shapes so you can copy them to a new file if you like.
Hi, did you have a chance to upload to those?

Would be interested to see them.

:yay:

Thanks

GeoffC

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 am

I just read the entire thread and couldn't find the answer I was looking for...
On the left side of the module, do the controls work backwards?

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 am

pulse_divider wrote:I just read the entire thread and couldn't find the answer I was looking for...
good question! mine comes friday and i never even thought of that!

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 am

pulse_divider wrote:I just read the entire thread and couldn't find the answer I was looking for...
no they're the same on both sides. no mirroring
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Post by Mitchk1989 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 pm

I still would like to see pictures of the 'fun stuff' waveforms if possible.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:21 pm

"all andore, all the time."

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 am

"Normally, each half of the module has its shape selection apply to both the Attack and Delay phases of its envelope, but you can enable an alternate mode where the left and right shape select controls instead select different curves for Attack and Decay. Two banks of envelopes are available."

how do you enable this alternate mode?
two banks meaning 0-9 and a-f right?

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 am

bryantcheramie wrote:how do you enable this alternate mode?
two banks meaning 0-9 and a-f right?
holding down the cv select button will place a decimal next to that side's number/letter and open up the different bank. Holding down the behavior select button changes the envelope to attack in the left side and decay in the right so you can cycle through all the shapes for each side thus making the 256 possible combinations. Not sure if the hidden bank, the one accessed when holding cv select, exposes hidden envelope shapes or plays whatever the selected envelope from the other side is. kind of hard to tell from surachai's video and i haven't really been able to figure it out, whatever it does it sounds pretty amazing and weird

[video][/video]
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:39 pm

By holding CV Select, you access the second bank of 16 envelope curves (shown by a decimal point on that side's display). In the factory ROM it's just a maths-like progression from log to linear to expo, with 16 steps.

bryantcheramie
Alopex

Post by bryantcheramie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Cool, i think i just figured most of it out. I just tried putting it in the mode that splits the rise and fall and at the same time accessing the second banks of each side. It seems that when the AD is split it uses the D for the first bank regardless of what bank is selected. Example. Left side set to 0. for rise and D. for fall, but it is really doing 0. for rise and D for fall. Is this right, or was i imagining things?

Oh, and this thing is awesome by the way. I didnt like my MATHS for the few months that i had it.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I can't take a look at the code until Monday but it sounds like you just found a bug! Sounds about right, if I'm remembering how I programmed it correctly. It's an easy fix anyway.

Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

Post by Reptil » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 am

update? thanks!

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Post by governor blacksnake » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

I just reviewed the code and tested the module, and everything works as designed. There is no bug in the currently shipping version of the module. When in "split" mode, the channel you are using will only access waves from the bank selected on that channel only. This is so different channels can draw from different banks, which in the factory rom have different characteristics (and several of the alternate bank waves are duplicated in the default bank anyways.) Refer to the following table: the first number is the selection shown on the display, and the following numbers are the actual waves accessed during the attack/decay phases for each channel in each mode.

Display reading | left channel normal | left channel split | right channel normal | right channel split

07 | 00 | 07 | 77 | 07
0.7 | 0.0. | 0.7. | 77 | 07
07. | 00 | 07 | 7.7. | 0.7.
0.7. | 0.0. | 0.7. | 7.7. | 0.7.

Reptil
In space no one can hear you wiggle

Post by Reptil » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am

:tu: thanks!

Return to “The Harvestman”