Kermit mk III - coming soon

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

ES
Common Wiggler

Re: Kermit mk III - coming soon

Post by ES » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 am

Just wondering, did anyone feel some of the buttons were overly wobbly?

Just got mine today. Haven't even racked it but checking over the module I found the button on the left of frequency A quite loose and wobbly.

Feels like it would get quite frustrating to use especially as it's likely a frequently used button.

Going to test it out this afternoon in the rack.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 am

Not more than on the other IME modules. But they seem to react a bit slenderish to me, which they don't do on my other MKIII modules.

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:15 am

Hmm. I think it's just the one button that's a bit more than usual, my Piston Honda ones are a lot more sturdy.

Might not be worth a replacement but will try it out.

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:28 pm

Played with this for about twenty minutes and its amazing.

So far I've just had A and B as audio oscillators and the other two channels as sources for crossmod.

I can hear the stepping on amplitude and it does seem odd. Also the clicks and pops even when not modulating the amplitude.

But so far I still love what it can do just via self patching. The rhythmic modulation cross mod madness is really fun.

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Try ti send trig to the preset management input for random patches.
Lots of hapy accident there :yay:
ES wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:28 pm
Played with this for about twenty minutes and its amazing.

So far I've just had A and B as audio oscillators and the other two channels as sources for crossmod.

I can hear the stepping on amplitude and it does seem odd. Also the clicks and pops even when not modulating the amplitude.

But so far I still love what it can do just via self patching. The rhythmic modulation cross mod madness is really fun.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Good news (from IME's FB):

Hello everybody, we are still in business and shipping modules from stock. Please have patience as repair packages and communications have temporarily slowed down. This week a Kermit firmware update will be released that fixes a few small bugs and improves AM performance in osc mode, and after that I'm adding a frequently requested feature to Piston Honda. I am spending the rest of the time developing some really fun stuff that should become available after the summer.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 pm

isn't the amplitude stepping issue present in other modes, too? not just when adjusting the amplitude of an output in oscillator mode?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:43 pm

Yes, unfortunately it is present in all modes.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Yes, unfortunately it is present in all modes.
This is the law: when you buy a fresh digital module, the first days you will suffer from some bugs. :harvestman:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm

temaniak wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am
This is the law: when you buy a fresh digital module, the first days you will suffer from some bugs. :harvestman:
Ah, don't know - what's your point? Shouldn't people talk about it then and not share their experiences?

I guess I had hoped the law was: when you develop a digital module you will try out it's functions before selling it. Is that misconception of mine?

To me not caring much about the functionality of instruments seems disrespectful towards the designer. As if you would not really care much about his work.

:despair:

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:04 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm
temaniak wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:19 am
Ah, don't know - what's your point? Shouldn't people talk about it then and not share their experiences?

I guess I had hoped the law was: when you develop a digital module you will try out it's functions before selling it. Is that misconception of mine?

To me not caring much about the functionality of instruments seems disrespectful towards the designer. As if you would not really care much about his work.

:despair:
This is joke with some pieces of thruth. But in fact, now almost all digital products immediately after the release have a number of bugs. This applies even to large companies (Moog, Waldorf etc). But the boutique devs, where one or two people work on the product, all the more they can’t see all the bugs before the release, and the first customers are just like beta testers. We are these beta-testers :)

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Have any of you updated to new firmware and are you still getting clicks and pops from internal modulation?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Firmware 1.2. is about to be released. A good effort has been made to improve Kermits behaviour and I think it will be a great leap forward. While maintaining the IME character, there won't be those clicks and pops anymore then and internal modulation will work much better.

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:07 am

just have 2 bugs currently, do you know if they are fixed (1.1) :

1 - the B channel refuse to modulate the pitch of the channel A, I'll try back, but I had no problem doing it from channel C
2 - when moving the waveform pot, it return back to the main screen, EVEN during the move. To me, it looks like there is either an asynchronous timer which is not being reset, or a calculation bug in the "cooldown" of the return to main screen condition. THis is purely annoying when trying to adjust by tiny bits a shape to taste, as you have to move the pot to see the form again... whick kills those tiny adjustments you are making.

Those 2 things would be lovely useabilty improvement ;)

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 am

klick wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:07 am
just have 2 bugs currently, do you know if they are fixed (1.1) :

1 - the B channel refuse to modulate the pitch of the channel A, I'll try back, but I had no problem doing it from channel C
2 - when moving the waveform pot, it return back to the main screen, EVEN during the move. To me, it looks like there is either an asynchronous timer which is not being reset, or a calculation bug in the "cooldown" of the return to main screen condition. THis is purely annoying when trying to adjust by tiny bits a shape to taste, as you have to move the pot to see the form again... whick kills those tiny adjustments you are making.

Those 2 things would be lovely useabilty improvement ;)
I'm not sure about the first problem you mentioned. Haven't tried it. But I do have the second problem. I find it difficult to adjust the waveshape as after a few seconds it goes back to the main screen.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Yes, issue 2 is a bit cumbersome indeed. Issue 1 should be dependent on the voltage range setting (6 V and 1 V do not work for frequency, only 12 Vpp does) and fixed in the upcoming release.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 am

New firmware!

v1.2 - April 29, 2020

NOTE: This version requires you to calibrate the tempo meter if upgrading from a previous version. To do this, start up the module and patch a stable, accurate clock source to the TAP jack, preferably at 120BPM. Hold down the Osc A and Osc B buttons. Turn the large osc A knob to display the BPM calibrator. Adjust it to read 120.0BPM exactly (or whatever your input clock's rate is), then release the buttons. The calibration will then be written to the nonvolatile memory.

Bug fixes:

Improved resistance to the "overnight freeze" bug. If you notice that your module has frozen, use the "Reboot" command in the global menu to recover without powering down your system.

Improved performance of amplitude modulation. No more stairstep behavior.

Frequency modulation by unipolar signals is fixed.

Small modulation matrix errors and omissions fixed.

Improved accuracy of tap tempo unit and less interaction between channels.

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/products/24

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 am

updated :

- AM modulation is good now, but for audio rate, I had mixed results, sometimes quite good and tasty, and sometimes looks like it's not sampling fast enough, I'll check with the scope.
- cross modulation of pitch/waveform from B to A is functionning, same remark for audio rate
- "calibration" is very easy as long as you have a stable clock source.

what's still not fine :
-the waveform selector is still returnig to main screen in the middle of adjustments.
-adjust the amplitude, then change the waveform -> the screen still show the amplitude details until the timeout "expire", with a random duration, and finally show the waveform. It's lack a small bit of polish in this area. What's good is that the waveform at least is changing as expected.
- setting back a cross modulation to zero, is still not removing the modulation from the "summary" screen, which is purely annoying when you adjust a bit.
-> ideally, we should be able to clear only one modulation, not all of them using the menu, would be so nice.
-> saving presets to SD

Ideally, about those cosmetics and life quality things :

- the main screen should be shown at a fixed duration after the last control was adjusted. Not asynchronously or randomly as it does now
- touching any control, should immediately moving to the screen for this control.

As a developper myself, I fully understand that they may be a screen calculation limit beyond this, but I have the strong feeling that this could be a bit improved with the current hardware.

anyway, that's a great module, but a bit young yet, let's see what this MKIII platform still have to offer ;)

lordymosh
Common Wiggler

Post by lordymosh » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:55 am

Sweet. Looking to do my first PickIT upgrades for both the Kermit and Piston Honda. Wish me luck.
temaniak wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 am
New firmware!

v1.2 - April 29, 2020

NOTE: This version requires you to calibrate the tempo meter if upgrading from a previous version. To do this, start up the module and patch a stable, accurate clock source to the TAP jack, preferably at 120BPM. Hold down the Osc A and Osc B buttons. Turn the large osc A knob to display the BPM calibrator. Adjust it to read 120.0BPM exactly (or whatever your input clock's rate is), then release the buttons. The calibration will then be written to the nonvolatile memory.
Can the clock calibration be done at any point with the new firmware version or only once after the new firmware version is installed?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 am

klick wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 am
updated :
- AM modulation is good now, but for audio rate, I had mixed results, sometimes quite good and tasty, and sometimes looks like it's not sampling fast enough, I'll check with the scope.
so, no more staircase-shaped modulations when adjusting the amplitude of LFOs or envelopes, either?
klick wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 am
what's still not fine :
-the waveform selector is still returnig to main screen in the middle of adjustments.
-adjust the amplitude, then change the waveform -> the screen still show the amplitude details until the timeout "expire", with a random duration, and finally show the waveform. It's lack a small bit of polish in this area. What's good is that the waveform at least is changing as expected.
- setting back a cross modulation to zero, is still not removing the modulation from the "summary" screen, which is purely annoying when you adjust a bit.
-> ideally, we should be able to clear only one modulation, not all of them using the menu, would be so nice.
-> saving presets to SD

Ideally, about those cosmetics and life quality things :

- the main screen should be shown at a fixed duration after the last control was adjusted. Not asynchronously or randomly as it does now
- touching any control, should immediately moving to the screen for this control.

As a developper myself, I fully understand that they may be a screen calculation limit beyond this, but I have the strong feeling that this could be a bit improved with the current hardware.

anyway, that's a great module, but a bit young yet, let's see what this MKIII platform still have to offer ;)
+1 I agree with all of the above

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:39 pm

has anyone successfully calibrated the clock?

if i feed the tempo jack with 120BPM from the SHmk2 clock out, kermit reads ~480BPM, even though i have kermit's global div set to x1...but if i set it /4 only then can i get it around 120...am i missing something?

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Was exactly the same with the eloquencer, configured at 4 ppqn (pulse per quarter note).

So at 120, there is indeed 480 clock pulses sent.

It's very likely the same for the shmk2, so no worries.

hope that helps ;)

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 pm

klick wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:21 pm
Was exactly the same with the eloquencer, configured at 4 ppqn (pulse per quarter note).

So at 120, there is indeed 480 clock pulses sent.

It's very likely the same for the shmk2, so no worries.

hope that helps ;)
I have strange thing with tap CV of Kmk3: when i clocked Kermit by SHmk2 with 100bpm, Kermit show me 400 bpm. Okay, i set the clock division to /4 for right info and clocked LFOs starts reset with every beat! But without devider all works fine.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sun May 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Tempo calibration with BPM x 1 from PNW worked fine here. Have you tried what kind of clock signal SHMKII is emitting? You could just patch it into something and listen if it sounds like 120 BPM or more like 480 BPM.

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Post by witchonhorseback » Sun May 03, 2020 4:41 pm

I used the SHMk2 and yes, this gives you 480. It was very hard to calibrate it precisely, though; it kept drifting a few tenths of a point in each direction. Is this normal?

Return to “The Harvestman”