Kermit mk III - coming soon

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Kermit mk III - coming soon

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:09 pm

novim wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm
Apologies if this has been answered, or should be obvious, but I'm wondering how many wavetables Kermit can store. In other words, can you choose between x-number of banks while using it, or are you limited to one? I've read the manual and I understand the process of making a wavetable with WaveEdit, naming it 1.wav and loading it from an SD card. What's not clear to me is whether it's a matter of repeating that process every time you want to try switch wavetables.
Kermit can store one 1.wav at a time. So I find it useful to carefully curate the 8 small subsets of waves you can chose from. Of course when you want to have audio, LFO and envelope shapes at any time you are a bit limited.

castano wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Does anyone know what shapes are best to use for LFO, I’m getting clicks trying to use it for cv to pan stereo mixer
If I use an analog lfo there is no click. Any suggestions? :)
I would say the third bank has too many discontinuities for panning/VCA use when you want to avoid clicks, the second has some interesting shapes but also some with discontinuities, the next two FM style banks should be fine, the folded one might be a bit too vivid and the envelopes a bit too boring. All shapes with a straight vertical line will give you clicks on a VCA. Of course it is a matter of taste in the end...

castano
Common Wiggler

Post by castano » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:34 pm

So banks 1 is best for vca and panning?
I do get clicks with sine waves
so not sure how to avoid them

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:29 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:09 pm
Kermit can store one 1.wav at a time. So I find it useful to carefully curate the 8 small subsets of waves you can chose from. Of course when you want to have audio, LFO and envelope shapes at any time you are a bit limited.
Thanks, Leverkusen. I think I get it now: Kermit accepts one wavetable consisting of 256 waveforms. It divides that wavetable into 8 segments which can be individually selected via the menu. So when you're working in WaveEdit, you're actually thinking in terms of 8 blocks of 32, and each of those blocks might be very different from the next (e.g. some audio rate, some CV). Good to know.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:21 am

I find the Global Clock Div's interaction with Tempo LFOs pretty counterintuitive, and I would be quite disappointed if this isn't a fixable bug. I had assumed that the Global Clock Division multiplies against the Tempo LFOs' clock divisions, so that if you have a Global Clock Div of /4 and a Tempo LFO running at /32, you would get a tempo-synced LFO running at 1/128 of the externally patched-in clock. but, instead, the tempo LFO's phase just resets mid-cycle whenever you have a Global Clock Div below 1x and a Tempo LFO speed below 1x.

so, as it stands, the slowest we can really make the tempo LFOs run (with complete cycles) seems to be 1/32. I was pretty excited to replace my Batumi with Kermit MkIII but now I'm not sure I can do that.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:49 pm

EDIT: Don't know what I did here - you are right, it clock divided TempoLFO does not work with global division other than x1. Did not notice that before. :doh:

Have you written Scott about it?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:29 pm

yeah, I did. just wanted to check if I've missed something here.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am

I just had another look at the tempoLFO, wondering why this never struck to me before and it seems that the strange reset behaviour only occures when a constant clock is plugged into the tap jack. If I plug the cable out after the BPM are detected or youse the tap button instead global and channel division work as excpetced. I somehow remember that there was something going on with constant clock signals plugged in but I can not exactly remember. Of course having to remove the cable is annoying and not really a solution.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Sorry, just started taking note of this module; how is it for oscillator duties? The manual mentions that it is "useful from 16Hz to 1Khz". Is 1Khz the top of the range for the oscillator? How's the tracking? Any other things to look out for?

The demo by Mr. Robotopsy upthread sounds absolutely fantastic. Very interesting stuff.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am
I just had another look at the tempoLFO, wondering why this never struck to me before and it seems that the strange reset behaviour only occures when a constant clock is plugged into the tap jack. If I plug the cable out after the BPM are detected or youse the tap button instead global and channel division work as excpetced. I somehow remember that there was something going on with constant clock signals plugged in but I can not exactly remember. Of course having to remove the cable is annoying and not really a solution.
confirmed the bug with Scott and was told it should be fixable :)

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:38 am

joskery wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:02 pm
Sorry, just started taking note of this module; how is it for oscillator duties? The manual mentions that it is "useful from 16Hz to 1Khz". Is 1Khz the top of the range for the oscillator? How's the tracking? Any other things to look out for?

The demo by Mr. Robotopsy upthread sounds absolutely fantastic. Very interesting stuff.
It sounds great and has a noticable character if compared with for example the Cloud Terrarium playing the same wavetables. Also the 12 and 8 bit modes sound great and it has an interesting aliasing feaure in the upper range which I also like. There is a bit of a latency occuring on the pitch CV input though.
Last edited by Leverkusen on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Okay, this is a very very fun thing.

I'm not much for droning, but as you receive one, you can't really try anything else than wavetable chords and unfathomable crossmod drones, now can you?! This has been my past three^H^H^H^H^H four hours.

EDIT: I had a question about the preset manager, but let's just say for now that I don't understand it. :)

Joelgrind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Joelgrind » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:32 am

Heads up that these are back in stock at Perfect Circuit.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:51 am

Was considering one of these but surprised to see that it's not cited so much when talking about compact modulation sources.
I see a lot Zadar, Quadrax and Stages but Kermit rarely comes up. Why is that?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 am

well, it's pretty new, and hit the market at a slightly less fortunate time than those others.

I think it's brilliant. Quadrax, Zadar, Kermit MkIII are all amazing quad modulators for different reasons, can definitely recommend all three.

Kermit MkIII reminds me of Waldorf modulation matrices but made more immediate, and gets me to results that I would otherwise need to lean on Bitwig + a DC coupled interface to produce.

GryphonP3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GryphonP3 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 am

Wow this is the first time i am seeing this. Looks FANTASTIC! A perfect module imo. Have to grab one soon!
My cat can eat a whole watermelon ...

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:29 am

hirnlego wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:51 am
Was considering one of these but surprised to see that it's not cited so much when talking about compact modulation sources.
I see a lot Zadar, Quadrax and Stages but Kermit rarely comes up. Why is that?
i think a lot of casual visitors usually just browse the eurorack section, and probably don't visit the manufacturer-specific areas of muffs. might help to spread the word to others if the conversation about kermit mk3 were continued over there

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Post by witchonhorseback » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:36 pm

joskery wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm
EDIT: I had a question about the preset manager, but let's just say for now that I don't understand it. :)
It really is very obtuse.

The way it seems to me is, there are 8 preset slots, the "P" versions are "permanent" and can't be edited without double-clicking the main button and going into edit mode. But if you try to actually USE them outside of edit mode, you get all manner of horrible clicking and popping, because your CV is trying to change parameters and the "P" presets keep snapping back to their "permanent" state. I think the "M" versions are intended to be morphed from one to another? And then there's one slot with neither "P" nor "M" designation, which I guess is the state in active memory or something? To be honest, I find it all so confusing that I usually just start from scratch every time and just use the "blank" one. (I guess this "blank" state is technically just "not in preset mode"?) I feel like you're supposed to be able to load any preset into this blank/active slot, but I can't figure out how.

The manual does refer to "preset" and "morph" modes but doesn't make it clear if P1, P2, etc and M1, M2 etc are duplicates of each other with different use cases, or what the hell they're supposed to be.

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bisquick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:07 pm

I did a quick search through this thread and didn't find this, so apologies if it's been covered (links to relevant posts welcome):
Is the official way to have kermit3 recall state between power cycles to define PRESET1 (or N) as the default to power up with and then save to it every time you power your case down? I guess I would expect behavior more similar to the PH2 where it seems like there is a state 0 that is not bound to a preset ("currently active" state).

Thanks
Last edited by bisquick on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:19 am

I think it's like this: There are 8 slots to store presets in. They are only available in preset mode. Live mode (or no-mode?) does not store its settings and you cannot load a preset into live mode. It always starts with four LFO's cause that is Kermits main purpose. But preset mode with editing enabled is basically the same as live mode. Each preset stores all settings and preset mode disables the knobs but not the CV inputs. So modulation should work as in live mode but you might have to check the mod matrix if all internal and external modulations are really set up as intended, especially when you start from an existing preset with a lot of internal modulation already set up or change presets and thereby introduce paramter jumps in the matrix. Also mind that a barely noticable modulation of envelope lenght will have a different effect when you change the channel's mode to oscillator, or from LFO to envelope without checking the matrix assignments.
Morph mode works from the same 8 presets. The difference is that it works from a base preset that is set by the encoder (like in preset mode). To allow smoot modulation between presets all parameters that don't allow smooth transitions (like bit depth, channel modes, mod mtrix assignments...) are fixed by the chosen preset. All other parameters smoothly change while transitioning bewteen presets.
A use case for preset mode is of course saving different settings and use cases, like oscillator module, LFO module, Envelope generator in all combinations for different projects or just as individual starting point.
A use case for morph mode is saving different variations of a single use case (or: single preset) and easily morph between them. It's like changing all encoders and internal modulations attenuverters at once with a singel CV signal. An example would be using Kermit as an audio oscillator with interesting internal modulations set up and zen change the waveform, vibrato depth/speed and the envelope shape with a single CV source over time or related to velocity by patching velocity or envelope CV into preset CV input or an LFO or a Wogglebug or whatever.

With the Hertz Donut all my presets are somehow connected and carefully set up in regard of their neighbours from mellow to not so mellow. So I would either choose the one I want to start from or morph between all or some of them to get more movement.
As Kermit has a lot of very different use cases I usually save the current state in preset 1 before shutting down to start again from where I left the next time and use the other slots in pairs to morph between, as morphing between oscillator and envelope settings does not make much sense (apart from getting happy accidents) and I don't want to loose too many of the 8 slots just for morphable variations of the same preset.

witchonhorseback
Common Wiggler

Post by witchonhorseback » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:33 am

Thanks, that's all illuminating. I think some of my frustration derives from my affection for live knob-twiddling, which preset mode doesn't like. Not sure why I was allergic to performing in edit mode, but that's obviously the solution.

I do wish the documentation for IME's modules was a little more methodical...they're extremely complex instruments and fairly unintuitive to operate. But I suppose that's a side effect of their power and sophistication.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am

Mind that while in Editing mode everything you change on the interface and internal settings is immediately saved to ther preset for that session. YOu will need to save all presets from the menue if you want them to stay like that when powering down or, on the other hand, your presets are save while you wiggle them and powering down or rebboting will reload their originally stored state. It seesm complicated at a first glance but then it turnes out to be a really gret idea!

Common Wiggler

Post by 6667 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:22 am

im pretty in love with this module, dunno if its the internal cross modulation, or the kinda weird shit it spits out when in oscillator mode morphing between presets... it's great, the one thing i'd say this isn't the module for is "live wiggling", i have pretty thin spider fingers but find it a bit awkward.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 am

Leverkusen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am
Mind that while in Editing mode everything you change on the interface and internal settings is immediately saved to ther preset for that session. YOu will need to save all presets from the menue if you want them to stay like that when powering down or, on the other hand, your presets are save while you wiggle them and powering down or rebboting will reload their originally stored state. It seesm complicated at a first glance but then it turnes out to be a really gret idea!
it's a good idea and would be even better if the mk3 modules could periodically save their state to some non-preset memory store, so that you only have to manually save when you explicitly want to store a state for repeated recall. it certainly is nice to start up your system and find your digital modules in the same place you last touched them without having to go through a goodbye handshake with however many modules require manual save actions to remember anything.

but I understand there are tradeoffs and not all digital modules have the resources to do background saving without compromising performance. and there are a few other things about Kermit Mk3 that I hope to see improved first. overall it's a brilliant modulation instrument even with its bugs and quirks.

and for what it's worth, I think it's perfectly great for live tweaking if you stay on the "surface" of its features (just manipulating each channel's frequency, amplitude, or waveform). in that regard I find it just as immediate as Batumi, for example, and it's still more immediate than batumi when you want to get into internal modulation and so forth (batumi expert mode is much much more fiddly to operate and more difficult to remember).

deltaAquarii
Common Wiggler

Post by deltaAquarii » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 am

i'm looking for an old mk1/2 kermit, in case someone has one for sale :hail:

Vess
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vess » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 am

deltaAquarii wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 am
i'm looking for an old mk1/2 kermit, in case someone has one for sale :hail:
There’s been a Kermit on reverb for a few weeks now for 245 I was going to purchase but i recently just ordered and mk3
Still very inciting.

Return to “The Harvestman”