Bionic Lester mk III: Sound Demos

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Bionic Lester mk III: Sound Demos

Post by mt3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:26 am

Bionic Lester Filter Modes Test

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusice ... -mode-test

"Test of Bionic Lester's "other" filter modes. One filter is processing an organ sound from Piston Honda and the other is processing a Hertz Donut. The oscillator controls are not changed at all.
The 6 CV input jacks on the Bionic Lester are assigned to various parameters and modulated by slow-moving LFOs while human hands manipulate the cutoff, resonance, and filter mode controls with an emphasis on highpass and notch filtering."

Bionic Lester III Dynamic Envelope Test

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusice ... elope-test

"Test of a single 12db section of Bionic Lester mark III in lowpass mode. Two oscillators from Piston Honda III are processed through the filter, whose cutoff frequency is modulated by a velocity-sensitive ADSR envelope from Andore Jr. Envelope curve/time, velocity amount, filter resonance, and oscillator octave/wavetable are occasionally modulated by hand.
The second half of the recording features the saturation/distortion built into the upper range of Lester's gain control."

Test of MK III Preset System (Bionic Lester, Hertz Donut, Piston Honda)

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusice ... demo071619

"1x Piston Honda, 1x Hertz Donut each patched into one side of a Bionic Lester MK3.
The preset inputs of all three modules are patched to an attenuated mix of a slow sine LFO and smooth random Wogglebug.
You are listening to the two outputs of the Bionic Lester with some stereo panning.
All modules are in morphing preset mode."

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 am

Bionic Lester mark III Allpass/Comb Filters

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusice ... mb-filters

"Demonstration of the new allpass and comb filter modes of Bionic Lester. The patch is simple.

One Hertz Donut 3 is patched into both inputs of Lester (routed in parallel) and its fold/mod controls are sometimes turned. The Lester outputs are panned hard left and right.

* First, allpass phasing with added dry signal is demonstrated.
* Then, positive comb feedback with varying delay line lengths, resting frequently to let the feedback develop.
* Last, negative comb feedback and more tweaking.

No other effects (or Lester overdrive)were used. There is occasional LFO modulation of delay line length."

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:13 pm

Last edited by synonymist on Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 pm

synonymist wrote:
mt3 wrote:Bionic Lester mark III Allpass/Comb Filters

https://soundcloud.com/industrialmusice ... mb-filters
Thank you. Beautiful. I would hit it if it did only this.
My thoughts exactly as well.
:harvestman:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Bionic Lester mk III: Sound Demos

Post by mt3 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 pm

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 am

This view from Divkid really makes me want one! I'm actually looking for a filter with some nice character and am undecided between the BLMIII and Joranalogue Filter 8

Juvenal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Juvenal » Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 pm

otnemem wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 am
This view from Divkid really makes me want one! I'm actually looking for a filter with some nice character and am undecided between the BLMIII and Joranalogue Filter 8
Horrible, no good answer but... I've got both actually. The Filter 8 doesn't have that much 'character', but is a super versatile analog filter that can do pretty much anything under the sun with its feedback patching and FM features. The Bionic Lester is much more intense and sounds like the virtual analog filters of the late 90s! Think JP-8080 but with more grit.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Thu May 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks for that. Really gravitating towards the Bionic Lester. The feature set is just crazy

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Is there going to be another production run on the Mk III? It appears to be sold out basically everywhere already.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:14 am

Escape from noise has it in stock. :love:

3pand
Common Wiggler

Post by 3pand » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Always loved my Double Andore mkii and one day decided to get the Bionic Lester mk3 and the Piston Honda mk3. I always thought of myself as "not a wavetable person" because I don't really like the stereotypical sound where you hear a wavetable morphing around really obviously. Took a while to get into this pair but now I can say the Piston Honda mk3 might be my favorite oscillator ever and the Bionic Lester mk3 brings magic out of it like no other filter I've tried. My main case power supply went down last night and so I found myself today using a shuttle control to just get 4 modules going and thought I would share this little video. Sorry for the poor sound quality, hopefully more than anything it shows just one little slice of the range of sounds the BL3 can get and how fun it is to hunt around the wavetables and filter settings to find things. I was having so much fun that I didn't even get around to patching in to the wavetable CVs yet in the video, but I promise to do it after so no pitchforks pease, haha.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:10 pm

^^As someone who loves to have a dozen manufacturers slapped together in a case. I agree, BL3 is really good for the PH3 (although I also like a vanilla lowpass gate for a more organic sound).

Just got it yesterday. At first, I was disappointed with the sound of the single channel filters. They sound fine, but not particularly unique compared to other 2-pole filters. Even with the drive cranked, they don't get quite as aggressive as I'd hoped. If you're just looking for a vanilla multimode filter, something like Polaris might be a better choice.

But as soon as you start using both channels, it really comes alive. 4-pole mode sounds huge--possibly even more beef than my beloved Verbos ATC.
Using the channels for parallel processing of a single (harmonically rich) input, like the mix output of the Honda, is just fantastic. The comb is great too. My only complaint is it feels like the modes could have gone a bit further. Maybe I'm just being greedy but it feels like there should be one more mode beyond comb.

Morphing presets can bring it into gritty Mark 1-2 territory. Try a slow morph of a single input and monitoring A & B outs panned hard left & right (maybe through a little stereo reverb).

Mark 3 Honda + Kermit + Lester is an extremely solid set. Donut too obviously, but if I were to recommend an IME starter set, that would be it because Honda is so versatile.

I'll try to post a demo soon.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm

Can we hear some audio-rate FM demos of the Cutoff aswell, please?
Focusing on the filter, so maybe with some nice saw wave or something as audio source, that makes it simple to make out what the filter is doing.
:)

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 pm

I bought it.
Love it.

Though, Anybody have any idea what to use the comb for, except some weird Lo quality delay/phaser effect thing?
I like all the other filters except the comb actually. Just makes all sounds sound either cheap, or noisy. Plus, modulating it with a smooth wave makes it crackle like hell :D

I do love this filter though, so no worries, but i would like to hear some suggestions of musical use of the comb outside the abovementioned.

Grava_RB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grava_RB » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:42 pm

It can add a lot of flavour to some droning sounds. In the link below I have a kermit mkIII code scan oscillator going through the comb, while a kermit lfo pushes and pulls the resonance up to and from the extreme feedback point. I'm not sure, but I might have done this in stereo with a slight frequency offset between the two filters? Otherwise it's probably some stereo post-processing added, don't remember...

https://soundcloud.com/41725/centipede

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:07 am

Ok, i get it now.
The comb. How it can make your sound into an infinite number of new sounds. Just a twiddle, and theres a whole new world of timbres.
Talk about complexity in a system. I need to sell some oscillators i think.

Bionic lester is ace! As is all mk3 ime modules ive tried.

Return to “The Harvestman”