HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:01 am

Cortega wrote: what a bad Design decision, why must a Module take care of bad power supplies ?
The User should take care of these things and invest in a good one or live with the downsides of a bad one.
Every single user i know loves it to make percussion and kicks with complex Osc., for me this is a real Deal Breaker.
In an ideal world, yes module designers shouldn’t have to account for potential customers choosing cheap power supplies, but the reality is the companies get the complaints of “it’s broken” and subsequent bad reviews, modules returned to retailers, and lost sales when the customer’s cheap case is the real problem. Metasonix gets abuse over this type of thing (cheap power supply) as do a few others that I know. In fact the RK series from metasonix works with pretty much any power supply now, but the stigma still remains. Why people spend thousands of dollars in modules to shove them in a $300 case is beyond me, but it happens... often.

Personally I haven’t noticed this issue with the HDIII, but perhaps my envelopes aren’t fast enough or the sounds I’m generally going for doesn’t have a negative impact. I'm still getting nice percussive sounds out of it, but full disclosure it could be that I'm running it through a LPG fairly often and that might be masking some behaviors.
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

Ok I finally got mine. Really love what sounds I'm getting out of mine. Editing sounds is great too with the 2 operators and the sliders, works fine. Pleasantly surprised by the fact that percussive sounds seem to work fine here. But i'm afraid it is another module that requires me to actively save a preset before powerdown, or am I mistaken?
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

SB-SIX wrote:Ok I finally got mine. Really love what sounds I'm getting out of mine. Editing sounds is great too with the 2 operators and the sliders, works fine. Pleasantly surprised by the fact that percussive sounds seem to work fine here. But i'm afraid it is another module that requires me to actively save a preset before powerdown, or am I mistaken?
It won't remember any oscillator or operator menu settings without saving (octave, unison, cv dest, operator quantize, follow, a-b link). Oscillator and operator tunings mod, fold, and sliders do appear retain their last value on start up. I'll try to confirm this this for operator B settings but I've been able to recall tones pretty quickly without saving to a preset with the only real adjustment being remembering what my Oscillator and Operator menu choices were during the last session.
― Thomas Ligotti

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Yeah the operator b settings are discarded, that's the main one thats missing for me. I think it boots up to the settings as how they are on the panel. Really wish this can be fixed. Just save after every 10 seconds of inactivity would do wonders
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

rnordac
Common Wiggler

Post by rnordac » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am

after powering up, my presets don't seem to recall the position of the pitch cv attenuverters, it just maxes them out in the negative direction, i am on firmware 1.1

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:22 am

Got the pickit3 clone for a cheaper alt. and the update went like a charm.

However, is it necessary to calibrate after update?

When reading the manual, i got the impression that it´s only really necessary if the unit sounds out of tune compared to other modules.

What´s real and what´s not? :hmm:

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:00 pm

rnordac wrote:after powering up, my presets don't seem to recall the position of the pitch cv attenuverters, it just maxes them out in the negative direction, i am on firmware 1.1
I have noticed this, as well. If I start up on a pitch preset or load it, the bottom of the main vco range is is not c0. I’ve also noticed some pitch instability in the presets too. Still investigating though.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 am

Has anyone attempted to build bizarro versions of DX7 patches with this thing? Or just wandered into DX7 territory? I'd imagine you could get pretty far with a pair of them and a PH3 (and a bunch of envelopes).

Is there a way to control Op B with 1v/oct?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Voggg wrote:Is there a way to control Op B with 1v/oct?
Yes, if Op B is assigned to follow the other operators. Can't be controlled independently though. I imagine this is intended to constrain Op B to a harmonically related domain.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Ordered up one of these dudes, supposed to get it today. I've been using the original Donut since 2010 or 2011, and we'll see if this can replace it. The lack of control over Op B and the lack of square/triangle/saw waves are the two things that make wonder else what I might miss with this new beast. I liked the triangle with just a little fold a LOT on my mk1. The thread here gives me the digital menu-dive jitters as well.

I like to think that a week from now I won't even remember that the mk1 had a triangle, or 1v control over Op B. So we'll see.

EDIT: I know Op A has 1v/oct, so that's not really something the HD3 lacks. Bad comparison.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm

MrBiggs wrote:Ordered up one of these dudes, supposed to get it today. I've been using the original Donut since 2010 or 2011, and we'll see if this can replace it. The lack of control over Op B and the lack of square/triangle/saw waves are the two things that make wonder else what I might miss with this new beast. I liked the triangle with just a little fold a LOT on my mk1. The thread here gives me the digital menu-dive jitters as well.

I like to think that a week from now I won't even remember that the mk1 had a triangle, or 1v control over Op B. So we'll see.

EDIT: I know Op A has 1v/oct, so that's not really something the HD3 lacks. Bad comparison.
I have both and wouldn’t consider the III a direct replacement for the mkI. They are different enough that they can be complementary but still unique. That said, since I’ve had the III it has largely displaced the mkI as my go to bass voice. I had some of the same concerns, but I’m happy I got the III and found a way to keep the mkI.
― Thomas Ligotti

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 am

Updated firmware was released overnight:

http://www.industrialmusicelectronics.com/

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am

jwise wrote:Updated firmware was released overnight:

Thanks for that.
This is the contraption one uses to update the HD3, yes?

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am

MrBiggs wrote:

Thanks for that.

Yep. And you can get it for a few bucks less than I did the other day

If I'm reading it right, this update addresses the recent complaints in this thread.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 am

Voggg wrote:If I'm reading it right, this update addresses the recent complaints in this thread.
The slow response to the sliders or something like that?

This isn't a complaint really, but merely an observation. But the HD3 seems like it's really clean and "safe" compared to the HD1. I haven't been able to get to get that screaming rippy digital angst that my mk1 likes to spit at me.

It's a spectacular machine, and makes beautiful digital music, and like others have mentioned, it would make sense to keep both the mk1 and mk3. But I don't have room in the case for both, and will need to decide at some point which stays and which moves out. I don't know what it is that the mk3 is missing. Maybe it's just "better" which I suppose would mean more predictable and less aliasing and anger. I don't know. I def miss the square and triangles too. The mk3 is certainly more versatile, generally, though. :miley:

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

MrBiggs wrote:

Thanks for that.

An olimex clone will work too, and most times it's cheaper.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri May 03, 2019 11:48 am

MrBiggs wrote: This isn't a complaint really, but merely an observation. But the HD3 seems like it's really clean and "safe" compared to the HD1. I haven't been able to get to get that screaming rippy digital angst that my mk1 likes to spit at me.
PH3 also sounds cleaner than PH2. Scott described Mk3 modules as being more "compliant". It's not going to sound exactly the same, but you should be able to get to similar territory with the greatly improved FM, presets etc.
MrBiggs wrote: I def miss the square and triangles too
From the demos I understand they ended up going with all sine waves to streamline some of the morphing capabilities. It would be great if a firmware update allowed selectable waveform on the main out.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Fri May 03, 2019 12:30 pm

MrBiggs wrote:
Voggg wrote:If I'm reading it right, this update addresses the recent complaints in this thread.
The slow response to the sliders or something like that?

This isn't a complaint really, but merely an observation. But the HD3 seems like it's really clean and "safe" compared to the HD1. I haven't been able to get to get that screaming rippy digital angst that my mk1 likes to spit at me.

It's a spectacular machine, and makes beautiful digital music, and like others have mentioned, it would make sense to keep both the mk1 and mk3. But I don't have room in the case for both, and will need to decide at some point which stays and which moves out. I don't know what it is that the mk3 is missing. Maybe it's just "better" which I suppose would mean more predictable and less aliasing and anger. I don't know. I def miss the square and triangles too. The mk3 is certainly more versatile, generally, though. :miley:
Or keep both and swap them out as needed, which I think is one of the major advantages of Harvestman IME oscillators being a consistent 17hp, outside of the PHmk1 of course.

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Fri May 03, 2019 12:33 pm

gringostar wrote: Or keep both and swap them out as needed, which I think is one of the major advantages of Harvestman IME oscillators being a consistent 17hp, outside of the PHmk1 of course.
Yes this is a very likely scenario. It's dragged down a bit with the fact that while they share widths, they do not share ribbon-cable power headers. So you have to unplug the cable as well, which is an extra pain-in-the-ass step because of the way my case is built (it involves removing one other module so I can get my hand in there and pull the plug. First-world problems.)

Who knows, maybe I'll get a 4ms pod and have one of them be a "skiff."

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am

In spite of not having money, I got one going last night. It's totally bonkers. I have a grasp on the basic functionality but clearly it's going to take months to really dive into the sounds.

One nice very basic patch (maybe this is too obvious but try it if you haven't): main osc into a VCA or VCF. Apply FM or AM from the aux out. Start with zero and introduce very small modulations in umbrage etc. Fantastic results.

Honestly I think a lot of people who think IME/Harvestman is too "lo-fi" need to try the mk3 modules. Especially MI fanboys 8-)

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Thu May 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I would like to CV phase distortion and resonance independently. Sounds great if you modulate both of them slowly, but it's only possible if you map one to the fold knob and one to CV. I'm guessing no, but is there any way this might be possible with a firmware update? Like remapping the CV in on the main oscillator to a fold function?

The other thing I'd like is a menu option for alternate quantization modes on the operator, such as all harmonics through 16 (the current jump from 8 to 16 is dramatic), odd harmonics or interesting fractions. This seems more realistic.

Loving some of the menu features like fifth unison and xor aux.

The current firmware is labeled 1.3 but loads as 1.2.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Firmware 1.5 is up for both HD and PH, with bug fixes and enhanced frequency resolution.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm

ok...sorry I keep posting on this thread, but I gotta say firmware 1.5 is a big improvement.
I'm not entirely sure what "Deglitched phase distortion knob and CV input" and
"Removed noise from the entrance of the resonance parameter" mean, but the result is both phase distortion and resonance sound much better when the ops are in effect.
Until now I had been pretty careful keeping the fold paramaters in balance but that is less of an issue. They just sound clearer and interact with the ops much better now.
Great update!

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Anyone own both this and the CS-L ?
I really like the tones of the donuts. Also it's smaller and seems even more versatile while easier to reach to. And the sound is pretty fat

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

drowld wrote:Anyone own both this and the CS-L ?
I really like the tones of the donuts. Also it's smaller and seems even more versatile while easier to reach to. And the sound is pretty fat

Someone asked me this on my YT video. This was my response:

They are just so different, it's hard to compare. They are both wonderful and I feel grateful I don't have to choose between the two. I would say the HD mk III is indeed at least as versatile, but both do things differently but in good ways. Cs-L is just such an interesting design, and novel. I guess the same thing could be said about the HD mk III. They're built around very different paradigms. The HD has a lot of bells and whistles the Cs-L cannot claim. Especially with 3 oscillators. The Cs-L can be used as two completely independent voices, each with it's own wave folder though, which is fantastic in its own right. I will say that I have really fallen in love with Harvestman/IME over the past few years. I built a smaller orange case. It then grew, and I started to build up a larger system around it. Now I've consolidated many of the modules from my big case into the other system, and it has become my main case. The new IME modules are so versatile. They retain the edge of the older modules, though different of course. But they also have the ability to sound higher resolution as well. They are so flexible, and with so many additional features. They are a joy to work with. Both Scott and Jason are two designers/manufacturers that I feel are truly innovating and creating very new things in the eurorack format and I really admire them so much. Ha, sadly, they may bankrupt me over time.

Return to “The Harvestman”