HERTZ DONUT MARK III - shipping now!

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

I bought a $20 one off amazon and it worked just fine with both Hertz Donut and Piston Honda 3's.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDMV5CP/re ... le_o01_s00

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks but it's 74 bucks now. Considering the clone for about 40 euros incl shipping.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

eBay is where I got mine

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:37 pm

defalut wrote:Thanks but it's 74 bucks now. Considering the clone for about 40 euros incl shipping.
Jeez. When I posted it, it was $20. Most likely any of the ones on amazon will work. Just make sure you buy one with the 6 pin cable included.

Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 am

Looks like this got to be my first post here. First I gotta try this: :miley: :miley: :miley: Wohoo!!!

Now to the point: Does anyone have detailed info on the differences between the MK3 and MK2? I know the MK3 has some kind of patch memory but does its sonic capabilities go much beyond the MK2?

The MK3 sounds absolutely fantastic but I'm not a big fan of screens in modules and I very much dislike those tiny knobs, of which it has six. The MK2 just looks like its more fun to tweak.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 am

Ossicle
This is different osc's and different philosophy.

Mk2 (and MK1 too)- this is comlex oscillator, based on Buchla's 259 idea: first main osc with wavefolder and second osc as modulator (that can be LFO), that can modulate first osc (FM, AM, etc) and wavefolder and can used as independed second oscillator.

MK3 its have some similar elements (modulation bus, for example, and wavefolders) but more based on ideas of old FM and Phase Distortion synths (Yamaha FM synthesis, Casio CZ) and has already two operators for more complex FM, that can modulate main oscillator, two wavefolders at one time and each other. But works only in audio rate. No more LFOs. But it gives us a very wide range of timbres.

Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks temaniak!

I didn't realize the MK2 and MK3 were so different. Damn, the MK3 does sound better in the raw demos...

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 am

So lately I’ve been using my Hertz Donut mkI and sending the main oscillator out into another waveshaper (wmd/ssf ultrafold). Would it make more sense just to replace these two with the mkIII? Seems like the mkIII covers that combo with the additional operator?
"While we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.”
― Thomas Ligotti

Instagram::YouTube::SoundCloud

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Workflow on this one is pretty good, i'd say much improved over the HDMK2. A lot to explore modulation wise, sound wise it is in another territory. The recent update to 1.1 helped the sensitivity of the pots to a point where it exceeds the MK2's sensitivity and helps dial in certain sounds that you are looking for.

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:49 am

xthrasherx
I think, it is different things. UFold is analogue waveshaper, with claasic analog sound. In HD3 we have three types of digital Waveshapers, this their uniqe sounds and they can works together. And additional operators can control two of this waveshapers. Yes, it gives you more sound variatons, i think, but HD1 is another style of sound (more digital and harsh) and another ideology of synthesis.

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 am

temaniak wrote:xthrasherx
I think, it is different things. UFold is analogue waveshaper, with claasic analog sound. In HD3 we have three types of digital Waveshapers, this their uniqe sounds and they can works together. And additional operators can control two of this waveshapers. Yes, it gives you more sound variatons, i think, but HD1 is another style of sound (more digital and harsh) and another ideology of synthesis.
Welp I pulled the trigger on the HD3. Sounds fantastic in my admittedly short time with it. I don’t know if I’ll keep the HD1 due to space in the rack, but I do love the OG harvestman modules. Proper first world problems here :deadbanana:
― Thomas Ligotti

temaniak
Common Wiggler

Post by temaniak » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 am

xthrasherx wrote: Welp I pulled the trigger on the HD3. Sounds fantastic in my admittedly short time with it. I don’t know if I’ll keep the HD1 due to space in the rack, but I do love the OG harvestman modules. Proper first world problems here :deadbanana:
HD1 must stay in his place)) I don't have it, but i wanna buy this stuff for more evil digitalism :sb: Before mk3 was released, i wanted mk2, but now, mk1 & mk3 - is two poles of IME sound, and i dont need mk2 now, because it is transition model between these two poles. :harvestman:

xthrasherx
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xthrasherx » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:36 am

temaniak wrote: HD1 must stay in his place)) I don't have it, but i wanna buy this stuff for more evil digitalism :sb: Before mk3 was released, i wanted mk2, but now, mk1 & mk3 - is two poles of IME sound, and i dont need mk2 now, because it is transition model between these two poles. :harvestman:
I have a Zorlon Cannon mkII on the way, but in theory I could have the entire top row of my case be all harvestman (ZCII + PHII + PHIII + DAI + HDIII + HDI =104 hp) with the malgorithm and polivoks filter going an another row (one of my tube filters would still need to be plugged in the top bus board since it needs +5v). There is some flex room in the case though, so I can probably figure it out (PM mutes can be eliminated, Gotharman anaX expansion gets its power from the LD2, so that frees up 14hp...) I also have an 6u case, but that is dedicated to my metasonix R55 / R52 voice.

Hmm... Decisions indeed. Lots of firepower only so much space :omg:

Rack for reference (second ZI Noise Sorcerer is actually a tube filter):
― Thomas Ligotti

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Yo IME freaks! I got a question about the HD III (also the PH III, but keeping it to HD for now). Have you noticed a bit of lag in the 1v/Oct input or the CV input? I have noticed that when I send really fast envelopes into these inputs, to get a quick percussive pitch drop, that it lacks punch. Seems droopy. I was talking to someone else about this and he thinks that there is a 10-20ms lag on these inputs. Which normally would go mostly unnoticed, but is fairly apparent when making drum noises. Anyone notice this behavior?

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am

I believe I have noticed this before, but I’ll have to go back and check. But now that I’m thinking about it, hopefully I can unhear it when I want to...

Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 am

dysonant wrote:Yo IME freaks! I got a question about the HD III (also the PH III, but keeping it to HD for now). Have you noticed a bit of lag in the 1v/Oct input or the CV input? I have noticed that when I send really fast envelopes into these inputs, to get a quick percussive pitch drop, that it lacks punch. Seems droopy. I was talking to someone else about this and he thinks that there is a 10-20ms lag on these inputs. Which normally would go mostly unnoticed, but is fairly apparent when making drum noises. Anyone notice this behavior?
Please someone tell me there is a (practical) way around this or a firmware update coming :eek: Plucky and percussive would be among the main reasons why I'd get the HD3.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 am

dysonant wrote:Yo IME freaks! I got a question about the HD III (also the PH III, but keeping it to HD for now). Have you noticed a bit of lag in the 1v/Oct input or the CV input? I have noticed that when I send really fast envelopes into these inputs, to get a quick percussive pitch drop, that it lacks punch. Seems droopy. I was talking to someone else about this and he thinks that there is a 10-20ms lag on these inputs. Which normally would go mostly unnoticed, but is fairly apparent when making drum noises. Anyone notice this behavior?
What module is sending the envelope?
You've tested the same thing on Mk. II modules and noticed a differance? And PH mk III behaves droopy as well?

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:54 am

mt3 wrote:
What module is sending the envelope?
You've tested the same thing on Mk. II modules and noticed a differance? And PH mk III behaves droopy as well?
I have been using the Intellijel Quadra for envelopes. Response seems faster on the HD MK II. Yes, I have experienced it with the PH III as well. I will do some more testing this weekend when I have time. I will also test on other digital modules like the E370.

To be fair, the delay is very minimal, these are awesome sounding devices that I really love. However, it is noticeable.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 am

Ossicle wrote: Please someone tell me there is a (practical) way around this or a firmware update coming :eek: Plucky and percussive would be among the main reasons why I'd get the HD3.
Keep in mind I am in a troubleshooting stage here. Do not take what I am saying as a definitive bug or issue. There are many variables at work and I still have some more testing to do. I feared posting this because I did not want to cast any aspersions on what are some of the best modules in eurorack. I am just trying to figure this out.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm

dysonant wrote:
Ossicle wrote: Please someone tell me there is a (practical) way around this or a firmware update coming :eek: Plucky and percussive would be among the main reasons why I'd get the HD3.
Keep in mind I am in a troubleshooting stage here. Do not take what I am saying as a definitive bug or issue. There are many variables at work and I still have some more testing to do. I feared posting this because I did not want to cast any aspersions on what are some of the best modules in eurorack. I am just trying to figure this out.
Were you using linear or exponential envelopes?
Can you PM me some samples? I’ll try it out tonight if time permits.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 pm

mt3 wrote: Were you using linear or exponential envelopes?
Can you PM me some samples? I’ll try it out tonight if time permits.
It happens with both linear an exp. Sending you test sounds.

rnordac
Common Wiggler

Post by rnordac » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Love the Hertz Donut and the firmware update is great! Just wanted to see if anyone can reproduce this behavior: Save a preset with the pitch CV input attenuverters on OP A / OP B dialed in to a small range, and see if the preset manager recalls this. (I have the preset manager set to recall all settings) when you power the module back on.

For me when I power back on, the preset recalls everything except the pitch cv attenuverter position, so what was originally a mild vibrato from an incoming unipolar lfo becomes a wide ranging pitch sweep.

Thank u in advance if you can check this!

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Hello all, an update to my earlier post about fast envelopes.

I wrote to IME about the issue I am experiencing with the HD MKIII. I am paraphrasing the response to please forgive me if it is not entirely accurate. They have confirmed that this behavior is expected an intentional. There is somewhat heavy filtering on the CV inputs. The throughput is kept low to ensure good operation on bad power supplies. This seems to impact the sampling rate for CV inputs.

It is my personal hope that a future firmware update will find a way increase the sampling rate on the CV inputs to accommodate for very fast envelopes.

Ossicle
Common Wiggler

Post by Ossicle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:03 am

dysonant wrote: It is my personal hope that a future firmware update will find a way increase the sampling rate on the CV inputs to accommodate for very fast envelopes.
Mine too - this may even be a dealbreaker for me. Thanks for the info.

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cortega » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:04 am

dysonant wrote:Hello all, an update to my earlier post about fast envelopes.

I wrote to IME about the issue I am experiencing with the HD MKIII. I am paraphrasing the response to please forgive me if it is not entirely accurate. They have confirmed that this behavior is expected an intentional. There is somewhat heavy filtering on the CV inputs. The throughput is kept low to ensure good operation on bad power supplies. This seems to impact the sampling rate for CV inputs.

It is my personal hope that a future firmware update will find a way increase the sampling rate on the CV inputs to accommodate for very fast envelopes.
what a bad Design decision, why must a Module take care of bad power supplies ?
The User should take care of these things and invest in a good one or live with the downsides of a bad one.
Every single user i know loves it to make percussion and kicks with complex Osc., for me this is a real Deal Breaker.

Return to “The Harvestman”