Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists

Digital Audio Electronics - discussion & support.

Moderators: Kent, solidox, governor blacksnake

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 am

rob_dylan wrote:
rob_dylan wrote:Use a second output on the PNW with a 1/16 gate to the SH reset-input?
Well, this solved the problem (just writing in case someone else stumbles upon a similar situation).

Thanks, Rob! :party:
mind elaborating on this? second output with 1/16th gate? wouldn't that just keep resetting SH? or is there a way to set a pulse fire when you turn off PAM?

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:27 pm

liquidsn wrote:mind elaborating on this? second output with 1/16th gate? wouldn't that just keep resetting SH? or is there a way to set a pulse fire when you turn off PAM?
Ok, apologies for my unclear wording. What I meant was that, in order to get the SH to always resume to step 1 when using the Start/Stop-button on the PNW, a second output on the PNW can be used to send a pulse to the reset-input on the SH. The reset-pulse needs to fire once for every 16 steps on the Hammer (not 1/16, like I wrote) to get a full 16 step cycle. At the moment, with whatever BPM set on the PNW, I'm sending a X4-pulse to the clock-input of the SH and a /4-pulse to its reset-input. It works fine for me, with the SH always starting over from step 1 again. Hope it can be of any use!

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for the info! Trying it out tonight.

Curious if anyone is using a PEXP-2 with their PAM?
It has a 24x clock out & Run jack.

Does SH take 24x PPQN? Always confused about that.

rob_dylan
Common Wiggler

Post by rob_dylan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 pm

liquidsn wrote:Thanks for the info! Trying it out tonight.

Curious if anyone is using a PEXP-2 with their PAM?
It has a 24x clock out & Run jack.

Does SH take 24x PPQN? Always confused about that.

I'm using the PEXP-2 expander with my PNW to send midi-clock to my Analog Rytm. Got the PEXP-2 after being advised by user Squarewings earlier on in this thread. The expander works great, although I am yet to figure out what to use the two additional outputs for. The SH simply just worked straight away when I started to send clock-pulses to it from the PNW so I'm afraid I don't know the specifics to your PPQN question. Maybe someone might have an answer?

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 pm

rob_dylan wrote:
liquidsn wrote:mind elaborating on this? second output with 1/16th gate? wouldn't that just keep resetting SH? or is there a way to set a pulse fire when you turn off PAM?
Ok, apologies for my unclear wording. What I meant was that, in order to get the SH to always resume to step 1 when using the Start/Stop-button on the PNW, a second output on the PNW can be used to send a pulse to the reset-input on the SH. The reset-pulse needs to fire once for every 16 steps on the Hammer (not 1/16, like I wrote) to get a full 16 step cycle. At the moment, with whatever BPM set on the PNW, I'm sending a X4-pulse to the clock-input of the SH and a /4-pulse to its reset-input. It works fine for me, with the SH always starting over from step 1 again. Hope it can be of any use!
Was watching the PNW video that DivKid put out and totally forgot you can have a 'run' or 'reset' easily on 1 of your channels. Hold down the knob to change the 'speed' section. (/4,/2,x1,x2 etc.) . Now scroll all the way to the max and there will be some settings that are not numbers.

There are settings that will
fire the channel when you push start.
fire the channel when you stop.
keep channel on when you push start. off when stopped.

Perfect settings for run and reset if needed.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am

Having a strange problem...

The clock output of SHmkii will not trigger certain modules. It works with Quadra, and O_C. It does not work with QCD and Four Brick Rook. The STRANGE thing... when putting the clock through a buffered mult, the mult can't copy the signal.

This is the SHmkii clock direct into the scope...

This is the SHmkii into the Intellijel Buff Mult and into the scope..

WTF man... can't stand it when these oddball problems occur. I've tried changing power outlets. I've tried removing recent module additions. The case is a Pittsburgh EP360 (supposedly good power with plenty of overhead).

Any ideas why this happens with the SHmkii clock output? That's my only problem in the case.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:00 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Having a strange problem...

The clock output of SHmkii will not trigger certain modules. It works with Quadra, and O_C. It does not work with QCD and Four Brick Rook. The STRANGE thing... when putting the clock through a buffered mult, the mult can't copy the signal.

WTF man... can't stand it when these oddball problems occur. I've tried changing power outlets. I've tried removing recent module additions. The case is a Pittsburgh EP360 (supposedly good power with plenty of overhead).

Any ideas why this happens with the SHmkii clock output? That's my only problem in the case.
What about the SHmkII's Gate outputs into the Buffered Mult? Do those pass?

EDIT: What about QCD through the Buffered Mult? Same thing?

EDIT PT 2: Just patched the CLK OUT into Miggs (passive mult) and it distributes fine to 4 envelopes (DAmkIs).

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Here is more testing info...

Clock to some modules is fine (Quadra, Batumi, Plaits, OC)
Clock to some modules not working (QCD, Four Bricks Rook)
Clock to buffered multiple doesn't copy correctly
Clock to Otool scope to buffered multiple DOES copy correctly
Clock to Otool to Four Bricks Rook... the scope changes from 10v squares to 2.5 to 5v square

Last bit... passing the SHmkii clock through a VCA and it works on everything.

I've noticed in the past that CV outputs have a tiny positive DC offset, and never actually reach 0v. I also experienced the Gate outputs not triggering the Pittsburgh Dynamic Filter because it never reached true 0v. Wonder if this clock mystery is related to the same problem?

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Here is more testing info...

Clock to some modules is fine (Quadra, Batumi, Plaits, OC)
Clock to some modules not working (QCD, Four Bricks Rook)
Clock to buffered multiple doesn't copy correctly
Clock to Otool scope to buffered multiple DOES copy correctly
Clock to Otool to Four Bricks Rook... the scope changes from 10v squares to 2.5 to 5v square

Last bit... passing the SHmkii clock through a VCA and it works on everything.

I've noticed in the past that CV outputs have a tiny positive DC offset, and never actually reach 0v. I also experienced the Gate outputs not triggering the Pittsburgh Dynamic Filter because it never reached true 0v. Wonder if this clock mystery is related to the same problem?
Clocks/sync, in general, tend to have some idiosyncracies across manufacturers.
Similarly, modules from the same manufacturer tend to work well together.

My SHmk2 has always worked well with 4ms RCD, unsure if there are differences with the QCD.
Also works well with Algorhythm and SSM (I occasionally use them as clock dividers).

What about Clock to Otool to QCD?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 am

I’ve noticed some incompatibilities as well. I can’t remember which things specifically but I’ll patch tomorrow. I usually have a work around available.

Make sure to message Scott for help.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:26 am

weird, the SH clock out doesn't clock my RDC without being attenuated first. not a big deal, just another quirk of the wild west

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:27 am

dooj88 wrote:weird, the SH clock out doesn't clock my RDC without being attenuated first. not a big deal, just another quirk of the wild west

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I dont have this problem with my SHMKII but I had it with other modules... and when I do I use a stackable cable with a LightJack from Division6

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/division ... light.html
soundslikejoe wrote:
dooj88 wrote:weird, the SH clock out doesn't clock my RDC without being attenuated first. not a big deal, just another quirk of the wild west

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed May 01, 2019 10:20 am

Perhaps we're discussing manufacturing tolerances or calibration issues? The response from IME is silence. Rumors are SHmkii is being discontinued... likely for an mkiii. I assume updates will also stop.

C'est la eurorack

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed May 01, 2019 10:54 am

Rumors from where?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Isn't there a way to set the scale for all the tracks at one time...or did I make that up? I can't remember the button combo for that feature.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:Perhaps we're discussing manufacturing tolerances or calibration issues? The response from IME is silence. Rumors are SHmkii is being discontinued... likely for an mkiii. I assume updates will also stop.

C'est la eurorack

Scott doesn't replace or make his modules obsolete very quickly. The Tyme Sefari mk II for example, he has said is still good in terms of hardware and eventually will get a firmware update. He updated the firmware at then end of 2018. I suspect he's busy getting ready for Superbooth. He's usually very good to respond, perhaps another message is all that's needed. I doubt the SH will be replaced any time soon.

Hazza26
Common Wiggler

Post by Hazza26 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before, hope search returns one day.

My SHmk2 doesn't remember the clock divisor settings between power cycles, always resets to 1. Anyone else experience this? I think my firmware is 2.01 (is there a way to check?).

Also I tried cleaning the screen but the plastic just comes away from the front panel. Any ideas?

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Hazza26 wrote:My SHmk2 doesn't remember the clock divisor settings between power cycles, always resets to 1. Anyone else experience this? I think my firmware is 2.01 (is there a way to check?).
Haven't been using my SH as much lately, but if memory serves, clock division is done on a per track basis, which means it should be saved when you store a preset. Note that preset 1 loads upon power-up, so if you saved into 2 or later, you need to load it manually after power-up.

I don't recall there being a global clock divider, but I could be wrong.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

Godphaser
Common Wiggler

Post by Godphaser » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 pm

SH MkII with the latest firmware and can confirm everything said above, clock divider is per track and saved the same way as the rest of the track settings.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 am

soundslikejoe wrote:...Rumors are SHmkii is being discontinued... likely for an mkiii. I assume updates will also stop.
Hope not. I was hoping the expander would see the light of day and an firmware update to support swapping the standard memory storage chip for larger.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:02 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:Rumors from where?
Lol rumors are that the guy above is making this up. This module hasn’t been out long enough for an MKIII to be likely any time soon, especially considering how many other modules there are to be rolled out over the next year or two that have been just announced or publicly in the works for quite a while, not to mention the guitar pedal line he’s about to start and that Malekko wavetable groove box that’s apparently still in the works. Dude is a busy guy! I think an expander is more likely to happen than a new one in the next few years, especially when you consider that functionality wise, you could argue this module actually kicked off the MKIII thought process with its preset system.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:02 am

tebs213 wrote:
Lol rumors are that the guy above is making this up.
Lick my nut sack. As if it's impossible to stumble across a eurorack conversation before Superbooth where people mention this type of shit. I didn't say it was an official announcement... I called it a rumor. Anyway... Don't act like an MKiii is 10 years out. Module update cycles are much less than that. SHmkii released in 2015. Every year it's closer to mkiii

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 am

If we look at the life cycles between mkII to mkIII for Piston Honda and Hertz Donut, 6yrs? Maybe in 2021 we'll see an SHmkIII. The latest SHmkII OS (v2.26) and effort put into released last year really made the sequencer solid. As a result 2yrs out appears more logical. But this all speculative of course.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:45 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
tebs213 wrote:
Lol rumors are that the guy above is making this up.
Lick my nut sack. As if it's impossible to stumble across a eurorack conversation before Superbooth where people mention this type of shit. I didn't say it was an official announcement... I called it a rumor. Anyway... Don't act like an MKiii is 10 years out. Module update cycles are much less than that. SHmkii released in 2015. Every year it's closer to mkiii
And some people wonder why so many have left this forum or find it be completely repulsive? lol Why do you think it's reasonable to talk to people like that? Just because you are hiding behind a computer screen? It wasn't a personal comment, I have no idea who you are, it was a joke.

Return to “The Harvestman”