Hey Oberkorn owners...need some help

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

GYS
Common Wiggler

Hey Oberkorn owners...need some help

Post by GYS » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 pm

After my initial raves about the Oberkorn, I sat down to do some in-depth stuff using the advanced MIDI features and I'm thinking there's something wrong with mine...hoping another user can help me out! :help:

Here's a list of what's not working correctly:

1. Setting the MIDI channel
I cannot get it to change MIDI channels. I have tried sending notes
from both my Machine Drum and directly from a MIDI keyboard. I am
pressing and holding the MIDI Program button, playing a note, and then
releasing the button. It's not working. Is there a specific note
and/or duration I need to be using? By cycling through MIDI channels
on my Machinedrum, I figured out that the Oberkorn was set to Channel
9, but again, I can't seem to change this.

2. MIDI Routing
Connecting the 4 sequence control jacks together for step control is
not working at all. When I connect b0, b1, b2, and b3 together, the
sequencer gets stuck on a step and I cannot reset to step 1 as it
states I should do in the manual. Playing the correct notes to
control the sequence steps has no effect...the sequencer is just sorta
locked up. I have to disconnect all patch cables to be able to reset
the step number. This really sucks as it was the feature that swayed me from the MAQ 16/3!

3. Advancing the steps manually produces no sound
Hitting the "+1" button advances the step on the sequencer, but does
not actually trigger a note. It seems like it should since the manual
indicates that this is useful to fine tune a pitch or other CV
setting...

The only MIDI features I've been able to get working are slaving to
clock, and sometimes being able to route a trigger to the Clock Input to
control from my Machinedrum. I say sometimes because it doesn't
always work and I have to keep cycling through MIDI OUT channels on
the Machinedrum for the Oberkorn to get the trigger-to-clock to work.

Do you have any suggestions for these issues? Is there anything
obvious I should try before sending it back to Analogue Haven? :huh:

I've been looking forward to the Oberkorn for a very long time and was
pretty bummed out when those features weren't working as they should
be! :sadbanana:

Lyonel
button pusher

Post by Lyonel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:21 am

Hello GYS
It seems to me that your Oberkorn3 has problems.
- Here there is no problem at all to change MIDI Channel.
- Control of Steps by MIDI (in Ext Mode) is working.
- In internal mode there is tricks to access more Sequences styles when you plug one to three control Jacks (see below).
You can change MIDI base notes as it run in internal mode (it will change step's order) !
- You need (to trig a gate in External Mode) to send a MIDI gate (E4 or F4) and plug T1 (E4) or T2 (F4) in "Gating" X or Y.
- It's normal (if all four control-Jacks are plug in external mode) that the SEQ get stuck on a step.
Pardon me if all this is already obvious for you. Oberkorn3 manual is pretty arcane.

if you plug ONE cord from the MIDI row (any one) to :
- Positioning B0 it will play : Odd numbers @ half speed
- Positioning B1 it will play : 1/2/1/2-5/6/5/6-9/10/9/10-13/14/13/14 @ full speed
- Positioning B2 it will play : 1/2/3/4-1/2/3/4-9/10/11/12-9/10/11/12 @ full speed
- Positioning B3 it will play : 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 @ full speed

if you plug TWO cords from the MIDI row (any two) to :
- Positioning B0 + B1 it will play : 1/5/9/13 @ quarter speed
- Positioning B0 + B2 it will play : 1/3/1/3-9/11/9/11 @ half speed
- Positioning B0 + B3 it will play : 1/3/5/7 @ half speed
- Positioning B1 + B2 it will play : 1/2/1/2/1/2/1/2-9/10/9/10/9/10/9/10 @ full speed
- Positioning B1 + B3 it will play : 1/2/1/2-5/6/5/6 @ full speed
- Positioning B2 + B3 it will play : 1/2/3/4 @ full speed

if you plug THREE cords from the MIDI row (any three) to :
- Positioning B0 + B1 + B2 it will play : 1/9 @ eighth speed
- Positioning B0 + B2 + B3 it will play : 1/3 @ half speed
- Positioning B1 + B2 + B3 it will play : 1/2 @ full speed

GYS
Common Wiggler

Post by GYS » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am

Lyonel wrote:Hello GYS
It seems to me that your Oberkorn3 has problems.
Thanks, Lyonel. So after a BUNCH of fooling around, I did get it to work..but the root of the problem was that it wasn't receiving the MIDI signals right away. Once I'd switch off of the correct MIDI channel, and then back on, it would pick up on it and was working correctly after that.

So it seems the only issue at the moment is that it's having problems picking up on a MIDI channel that I specify. It's locked on ch 9...not the end of the world. I actually don't have a proper MIDI controller/keyboard in my studio at the moment, so it could be just a weird talking issue between my Machinedrum and the Oberkorn. We'll see.

I was able to do some pretty cool patching though...like having the CVs slaved to the Machinedrum, but running the gates from the Oberkorn's clock at a different speed. Created some interesting sequences. I appreciate the flexibility of the Oberkorn...it's unlocking potential in my studio that I never had before. 8_)

Oh, and your tips on getting the weird sequence progressions are awesome...definitely will use those!

Lyonel
button pusher

Post by Lyonel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:33 pm

:wink: :tu:

e.n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by e.n » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I too have just and just brought a Oberkorn to work with my MD, and dont seem to be able to sync it in EXT mode at all. I have tried the MPC, Nord, And Moog to fire some kind of midi but nothing.
I will take your advice tonight with using Channel 9 to fire, but I cant understand why MMC is not just firing the Oberkorn. Hope this is not a problem with the unit. Your help would be most welcome.

Many thanks E.N

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:55 pm

hmmm - are you using midi clock, or gating it with notes? Mine was set by default to channel 1 for the latter.

Early versions of the 3 had bugs in the midi implementation. Do you have a newer one?

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:00 pm

e.n wrote:I too have just and just brought a Oberkorn to work with my MD, and dont seem to be able to sync it in EXT mode at all. I have tried the MPC, Nord, And Moog to fire some kind of midi but nothing.
I will take your advice tonight with using Channel 9 to fire, but I cant understand why MMC is not just firing the Oberkorn. Hope this is not a problem with the unit. Your help would be most welcome.

Many thanks E.N
Maybe pointing out the obvious, but did you cable up the midi clock into the clock in? That's how it works on mine, I thought there would be some internal patch, but I don't think so, especially since Tom had mine in for service a few months ago.

I use my MD as a master clock for most things and the oberkorn reads it fine, the MD seems to constantly send out a clock whether it's playing or not, so the Oberkorn never stops when I'm clocking with the MD.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:08 pm

yeah - this should work, but I think that the very first batch were fucked up. I got one shortly after it came out, and returned it precisely because this stuff (can't remember exactly what) just didn't work. But it does now. So - yeah - he should try what you suggest (cable from the ck output to the clock in when sending midi clock) - it's somewhat counterintuitive that you'd need to make an extra connection in addition to just sending the midi clock, and the mention of this is kind of understated in the manual.

e.n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by e.n » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Maybe pointing out the obvious, but did you cable up the midi clock into the clock in? That's how it works on mine, I thought there would be some internal patch, but I don't think so, especially since Tom had mine in for service a few months ago.

I use my MD as a master clock for most things and the oberkorn reads it fine, the MD seems to constantly send out a clock whether it's playing or not, so the Oberkorn never stops when I'm clocking with the MD.[/quote]

Cheers for your input, and I only wish I was at home to try and not at work. In anwser to your question no I only had the midi in to the back of the unit thinking that would kick start the seq. Maybe not.
I will try this tonight and get back to you. Many thanks for getting back to me.

All the best E.N

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:22 pm

no - that absolutely will not work. You need to make the cabling connection that has been described.
Last edited by Nelson Baboon on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:34 pm

It absolutely works for me.
midi clock out (CK) into clock in (Clocking IN).
I had top change the midi receive channel on the Oberkorn from the factory setting to fit my system. The manuals tell how to do that.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 pm

if you're referring to my post, I was absolutely agreeing with you.
dkcg wrote:It absolutely works for me.
midi clock out (CK) into clock in (Clocking IN).
I had top change the midi receive channel on the Oberkorn from the factory setting to fit my system. The manuals tell how to do that.

e.n
Learning to Wiggle

Post by e.n » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am

Cheers Guys. This makes sense.
I am making it my new rule not to jump in the studio after being in one all day for work. Tired mind’s makes hard work.

E.N

dkcg

Post by dkcg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:55 am

droolmaster0 wrote:if you're referring to my post, I was absolutely agreeing with you.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:54 am

no problem. I had an errant quote in there also which probably made it confusing.
dkcg wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:if you're referring to my post, I was absolutely agreeing with you.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.

soundsubs
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsubs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 am

my oberkorn is doing this too.
Is this really how its supposed to work? With a loopback cable inserted into the clock in?

Sheezus i wish i knew this before i bought it.

is there a new firmware or something i can get to "fix" the midi?
when i had the doepfer maq it "heard" the midi clock and locked onto it.

---shane

soundsubs
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsubs » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:24 pm

is there new firmware for the Oberkorn?
i seem to have one of these that wont learn. triggers fine and passes clock, but...

(fingers crossed)

minja
Common Wiggler

Post by minja » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Clocking the Oberkorn with MIDI is difficult/not working for me. I have to use MIDI notes from the trigger out section into the clock in. I just got used to it so not so much of a problem.

soundsubs
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsubs » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Any other Oberkorn users want to chime in?

jaash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaash » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:39 am

HI

i want to buy a oberkorn but now i have read here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul02/a ... erkorn.asp

this

A Problem

If all the above reads as an almost unqualified 'thumbs-up', it probably is. Indeed, the review Oberkorn had only one serious problem... but it was a biggie. When I tried to program a melodic sequence in, for example, sequence channel A, with a filter CV sequence in Channel B, I noticed that the pitch CVs seemed to drift considerably. I then realised that value of channel B was affecting the CV generated by channel A, and vice versa. I suspected that the Oberkorn's power supply couldn't handle the current drain, because turning the Channel B knob from minimum to maximum on a given step flattened channel A by a full semitone. Switching B and C from 'off' to 'on' and turning them fully clockwise flattened A by a minor third! This rendered the Oberkorn useless for real-time melodic work. After all, how could I change one sequence while it was running, if doing so destroyed another?

is this problem fixed in the newer versions ?

thx jaash

Clockgate
At paranoia's poison door

Post by Clockgate » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:12 am

That review was for the mark 1 Oberkorn. I have three Oberkorn 3 and they do not suffer from this problem. I do a lot of melodic stuff with multiple rows switched with sequential switches and never have to retune a row after tuning a different one.
Musaceae Videos Banana
Clockgate Videos 5U & Eurorack

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”