modular packaging, do you save it?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

modular packaging, do you save it?

Post by spacenoodle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm

As my modular grows, so does the packaging the modules came in. I've been saving it with the idea that if I resell, the little white boxes carry some value. But I've got a tremendous pile that's getting in my way. Do any of you save this stuff? Would it be foolish to just throw them in the recycling bin?

NV
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NV » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

I save them simply because I have a place to throw all of them and it would make selling them on quicker/easier, but I'd have no hesitation in repurposing or recycling them if I needed to. With some instruments (particularly ones that sell on eBay frequently) saving the packaging my increase the value, but with modules I don't think it makes any difference. I don't think I've ever seen someone advertise that a module includes the original packaging here, and it's only maybe about 25% of the times I've purchased a used module that it's shown up in the original box. Personally I don't really care either way - it's at least going to show up in a box anyhow.

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

i recycle all my module boxes, but prefer to keep the bubblewrap, it helps with the stress of waiting for that next module to show up :hihi:

Chiefy11
Complex Fart Virtuoso

Post by Chiefy11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I usually celebrate new modules with popping bubblewrap, courtesy of synthesizers.com
FS: Yamaha TF-1 voice cards

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Chiefy11 wrote:I usually celebrate new modules with popping bubblewrap, courtesy of synthesizers.com
haha - i like the SSL bubblewrapping, so many different shapes and colors to choose from

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Chiefy11 wrote:I usually celebrate new modules with popping bubblewrap, courtesy of synthesizers.com
With the amount they use, I sure hope they get a discount on bubblewrap!

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks everyone. Into the bin it goes! Better just make sure they are all indeed empty first...

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:01 am

I have so many little boxes in that wasted space next to my desk. Nothing fit there anyway so I just toss the boxes there as I install modules..

I really shud take a peak at what it looks Ike back there. :eek:
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 am

I was just thinking about this last night. I ahev so many little module boxes.

What about vintage gear you buy that comes in original boxes? I feel guilty tossing it after someone had saved it for so long.

causticlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by causticlogic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am

I actually just put a large amount of little boxes in a huge box so they wouldn't fall all over the place since I had to dig some out from a few modules I was selling.
Of the ones I sold, the ones I received that were brand new were wrapped up with the exact same foam they shipped with. Even the screws are shipping back in the same bags I got them in.
RealDudes wrote:there's only one window in my padded cell and all I can see is a hallway
looks like there's blood on the floor again
Bumply wrote:I just want to leave work right now and listen to a nice triangle wave.

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:20 am

i've had things like addac modules with the serial number printed on the box, and cwejman boxes that are printed specifically to the module, in which cas ei tend to keep them specifically for reselling said modules - often the same people who have the cash to buy stuff like cwejman and addac seem to be those who complain about not mounting the module with washers and other cosmetic issues so i try to keep them happy.

if a module is a weird size/shape i keep the box specifically again just becasue it's a pita to find another box that'll fit well sometimes.

other than that it depends entirely on the packaging a module arrives in - i've had everything from re-used jiffy bags covered in tape (straight to recycling) through to shoe boxes full of so much excess packaging it was hard to find the actual module inside (also straight to recycling)...

jbdiver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbdiver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:15 pm

I've kept all my cwejman boxes. Most of my other modules just came wrapped in bubble wrap. I have no intention to sell anything so I'm not really sure why i keep the boxes around at this point. I think if you ever plan to resell then keeping the original boxes around is a good idea. It always suggests to me that the seller took better care of their equipment.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Those white boxes that a lot of modules come in are folded and self locking, so can be opened and stacked flat as single cardboard sheets. So there's no wasted air space. Takes up a lot less room that way.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I always save any box of reasonable size and quality, and making use of bubble wrap is a no-brainer for any future gear sales. Others clearly think the same as me; I occasionally get boxes that were obviously recycled from another (third) Wiggler - their names and addresses are still on the packaging.
Last edited by Christopher Winkels on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starrefision
Common Wiggler

Post by Starrefision » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm

i got a box full of boxes.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I toss it all
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm

i burn cardboard in the wood stove

Royalston
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Royalston » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 am

Save it, re use it. Put my modules that are out of favour in it.

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 am

I keep most of them, just for the case I would sell a module. But for some reason that hasn't happened yet. Might change once I dive into the abyss called DIY though ...

Xero
Common Wiggler

Post by Xero » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm

I saved some of my smaller moon boxes. The moon logo on them was just too cool to throw out. I figure I'll use them for something eventually, they're nicely sized.

ping panic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ping panic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 pm

I keep them all :hmm:
I don't have any gear

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm drowning in boxes. There are boxes spilling forth from every crevice, nestled in every nook. I just can't bring myself to let them go. Help!

Diao
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diao » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm

If a module comes in a box, I keep it. Especially for higher-end stuff such as Cwejman and the like. As someone said earlier, for modules that call for serious prices like Cwejman, the new Schippmann filter, etc., I think it makes buyers just that much happier to have their modules show up in the manufacturer's own boxes. It makes it just a little bit more fun when unpacking your new toys that just came in the mail. :razz:
WTB: Mogami Eurorack Patch Cables! Please! I will gladly pay you way more than you paid for them! Help a guy out!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”