+/-15 power supplies - anything besides Blacet?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

BBlack
Common Wiggler

+/-15 power supplies - anything besides Blacet?

Post by BBlack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 am

I'm looking at power for the frac system I'm putting together, and am thinking I may need a bit more power than the PS505/500 supplies, just not enough to require a whole other supply. I'm thinking somewhere in the 800mA range.

Just want to see if there are any other options for powering a frac system that I've overlooked.

Also, is there anything cheaper than the PS505 at the moment?

Thanks very much.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 am

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 am

I don't know what the status of the MOTM 900 is, but if you can get Paults's attention, maybe he'll sell you one.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am

PowerOne open frame linear power supplies... they are what's inside MOTM and old-style Serge supplies. Rock solid and almost always available on ebay.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:21 pm

fluxmonkey wrote:PowerOne open frame linear power supplies... they are what's inside MOTM and old-style Serge supplies. Rock solid and almost always available on ebay.
Is there a particular series you recommend? I was looking at PowerOne because Ken Stone mentioned that he used their power supplies, but I'm not terribly technically skilled so I didn't get much further than the first page.

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Nevermind, I see you wrote 'linear'. And this actually appears to be somewhat inexpensive!

But, I'm pretty lost when it comes to knowing what values I'll need for input/output/number of outputs/etc. There are tons of options on the site. Also, what exactly will I use for a bus board? I have a PSCONN2 - would this work? Any help with these things would be greatly appreciated!

mfirman
YuZen

Re: +/-15 power supplies - anything besides Blacet?

Post by mfirman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 pm

BBlack wrote:I'm looking at power for the frac system I'm putting together, and am thinking I may need a bit more power than the PS505/500 supplies, just not enough to require a whole other supply. I'm thinking somewhere in the 800mA range.

Just want to see if there are any other options for powering a frac system that I've overlooked.

Also, is there anything cheaper than the PS505 at the moment?

Thanks very much.

I use Power One linear supplies that I order from Allied. I put them
in nice boxes and rig everything with 5pin DIN connectors. I use them
with the Frac stuff, the Wiard, and the Digisound 80.

http://www.mlswebworks.com/maf/elecmusi ... power.html

Here are the details (as of a few years ago):

I use PowerOne +-15V 1.5Amp (Linear) supplies.
They can be obtained from Allied (stock number 218-3006
manufacturers number HBB15-1.5-A @ $60.54 each).
I put them in cases also obtainable from Allied stock number 806-1200
manufactured by Hammond Manufacturing (#1401A).

The URL for Allied is http://www.alliedelec.com

sduck

Post by sduck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Are you up to the demands of messing with a DIY power supply - one of the most dangerous bits of synth DIY? If so, then carry on with getting the powerone stuff, and the various connections that haven't been mentioned yet - there are threads about this in the Music Tech DIY section.

Otherwise I'd advise sticking to a prebuilt solution - the motm or blacet ones already mentioned. If one blacet one isn't enough, they're cheap, get another.

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 pm

sduck wrote:Are you up to the demands of messing with a DIY power supply - one of the most dangerous bits of synth DIY? If so, then carry on with getting the powerone stuff, and the various connections that haven't been mentioned yet - there are threads about this in the Music Tech DIY section.

Otherwise I'd advise sticking to a prebuilt solution - the motm or blacet ones already mentioned. If one blacet one isn't enough, they're cheap, get another.
+1

Maybe you pay a couple of extra bucks in the end but they're just plug and play. Especially for a FRAC system.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm

I would recommend a Hinton PSU, but it's a big price increase, and more capacity than you require (1.5A).

Built for a lifetime, and as safe and clean and you can make it.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I bought a +/-15V Power-One 1.5A supply from Digi-Key ($90) and mounted it behind a 3U x 5U panel with a nice lighted switch from an old organ. It was easy to work with, and provides plenty of power for my rig. I installed a 3-pronged recessed power connector with a fuse drawer (as found on many desktop computers). I wired the PS to a covered terminal block with 18-guage stranded wire, and then wired from the terminal block to my power distributor board, and also to a 4-pin XLR-style screwable connector for connecting power to other cabinets (mounted on a little rectangle of stainless steel on the side of the cabinet). This has worked extremely well for me.
Composting the drones will ensure the survival of the elite.

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

sduck wrote:Are you up to the demands of messing with a DIY power supply - one of the most dangerous bits of synth DIY? If so, then carry on with getting the powerone stuff, and the various connections that haven't been mentioned yet - there are threads about this in the Music Tech DIY section.

I was actually looking into building my own, but pretty quickly abandoned the idea, especially after you suggested the PowerOne Linear, which appears to be totally doable as far as money goes. Still, I'm not sure what to use as the distribution board.

Also -

I realize modular synthesizers are a very expensive hobby, but I'm only wanting a very small system, as in a 2-foot-by-1-foot enclosure, both because it's really all I need, but also because it's not economically possible for me to build a big wall. So while a PS-505 might be cheap to some, it can simultaneously represent the possibility a very large chunk missing from one's bank account!

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

STG sells a great distro board too. I think Bridechamber might be handing the Paul /motm versions?

Lots of DIY options but I am with others on this thread that say buy something proven.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 pm

ken stone sells a blank distribution board: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs74_bus.html
www.fluxmonkey.com

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am

fluxmonkey wrote:ken stone sells a blank distribution board: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs74_bus.html
Ah-ha - thank you.

This distribution board wouldn't work with a PSCONN2, would it? But if I get a power supply with two outputs, I could simply add a second distribution board - isn't this how it would work?

Thanks for the tip fluxmonkey.

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am

You don't need a distro board with the PSCONN2. The PSCONN2 is a distro board by itself.

PSCONN2 -

It is meant as an addon to the PS505, which already has 7 module connectors in it -

PS505-

If you get both of these you'll want a PSCONNcable, which has a 6 pin connection for that one on the end of the PSCONN2.

SO, if you have 6 modules or less, just get the PS505. More than that, get the 2 things and the cable.

If your number of modules power needs exceeds the 500 mA that this supplies, you should add another of these, but treat it as a different system - don't go wiring the two of these together!

BTW, getting back to the original question - 129$ is a fairly reasonable price for this. While you could find a 1.5A dual supply, a power inlet/switch/fuse assembly, and a distro board for a bit less (maybe!), and wire it all up yourself (if you knew how and felt safe doing so), getting it all in a ready made, ready to go package for 129$ is easy.

Note that this and the other power supplies that have been mentioned are dual output supplies - they put out both + and - voltages. Both outputs are used by the modules, so adding a second distribution board won't work the way I think you're thinking.

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am

Here's an example of a cheap power supply, just so you can see what's involved. On the left is a Shurter (I think) power inlet/fuse/switch combo, maybe 20$ or less. The powerone psu is a fairly standard one, puts out 800 mA, which is a bit more than the PS505 puts out, and turned out to be not enough for this cabinet so I later bumped it up to a 1.5A supply. The distro board is a motm 960, available from bridechamber currently, and it's overkill for this cabinet, I had one, so there it is. Maybe a bit more than 100$ in parts, and knowing how to wire it together - priceless!

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:45 pm

I realize the PSCONN2 is to be used with the PS505 to expand it, but it cannot be used as the distribution board for a power setup which uses something other than the Blacet power supply, right? I.e., the PowerOne supply.

Thanks for the pictures and information.

Tell me though - would it be dangerous to wire up a distribution board, power supply and fuse/inlet? Or does the danger you all mention come with building a power supply from the ground up?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:52 pm

BBlack wrote:I realize the PSCONN2 is to be used with the PS505 to expand it, but it cannot be used as the distribution board for a power setup which uses something other than the Blacet power supply, right? I.e., the PowerOne supply.

you certainly could use the psconn2 with a non-blacet power supply if you wired it up correctly to whatever power supply you did use.
Tell me though - would it be dangerous to wire up a distribution board, power supply and fuse/inlet? Or does the danger you all mention come with building a power supply from the ground up?
yes - particularly the fuse/inlet to power supply part. you could die, your modular could die. :waah:
to be honest, and echoing what others have said already, i think if you are asking this question you probably shouldn't be considering doing this yourself.

mfirman
YuZen

Post by mfirman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm

BBlack wrote:I realize the PSCONN2 is to be used with the PS505 to expand it, but it cannot be used as the distribution board for a power setup which uses something other than the Blacet power supply, right? I.e., the PowerOne supply.

Sure, why not? I do it. I hook the PowerOne to the PSCONN2s in my
various racks via a 5 pin DIN to molex 6 pin that the PSCONN2s like.

sduck

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

It can.
BBlack wrote: Tell me though - would it be dangerous to wire up a distribution board, power supply and fuse/inlet? Or does the danger you all mention come with building a power supply from the ground up?
Either can be dangerous, or not so much, depending on your knowledge of what's involved. I was referring to the first thing.

BBlack
Common Wiggler

Post by BBlack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:59 pm

sandyb wrote:

you certainly could use the psconn2 with a non-blacet power supply if you wired it up correctly to whatever power supply you did use.
yes - particularly the fuse/inlet to power supply part. you could die, your modular could die. :waah:
to be honest, and echoing what others have said already, i think if you are asking this question you probably shouldn't be considering doing this yourself.
I understand completely now, and I see what sduck was saying as far as the cost of the Blacet vs. your life.

How complicated of a hook-up is it? If I were to read a good bit and figure out exactly what I was doing, and felt completely confident with it all, I might be willing to attempt this. But if it's even just a bit abstract to do, I think I might avoid it.

What exactly makes it dangerous? Is it necessary to touch bare wire or something like that at some point in the process?
Last edited by BBlack on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm

BBlack wrote:
sandyb wrote:

I understand completely now, and I see what sduck was saying as far as the cost of the Blacet vs. your life.

How complicated of a hook-up is it? If I were to read a good bit and figure out exactly what I was doing, and felt completely confident with it all, I might be willing to attempt this. But if it's even just a bit abstract to do, I think I might avoid it.

What exactly makes it dangerous? Is it necessary to touch bare wire or something like that at some point in the process?
Do you have room for a big 3 amp linear power-one. they are BIG. I have a bunch and I think I have an extra pre-wired that you could have. I have a nice inlet with fuse too and on/off switch. You'd have to make an enclosure for it.

I also have bare STG distro boards that I could cut you a deal on.

It's fun to build them yourself, but I figured I'd let you know about these.

PM if you are interested.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:31 pm

my lawyer counsels against encouraging folks to wire up their own 120v power supplies, due to liability lawsuits... but i personally find that power supply wiring is not rocket science, and have not yet electrocuted myself. i have gotten careless and reversed polarity connecting modules, blowing up both ps and module, so don't get cocky... but i think it's within reach of most folks smart enough to figure out modular synthesis. <noWarrentyExpressedOrImpliedDangerousVoltagesPresentProceedAtYourOwnRisk>

a couple of excellent illustrated guides are here:

http://www.dragonflyalley.com/construct ... 00-950.htm
http://www.dragonflyalley.com/construct ... People.htm
www.fluxmonkey.com

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I love Bill and Will's site. It's a treasure isn't?!

If you carefully study this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1200&highlight=power

and check out the sites fluxmonkey linked then you one might feel educated enough to attempt to build a power supply. I would totally never recommend doing it, but for historical reasons these links are good for those who, you know, like history :hihi:
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”