New DM studio collage - how many modules can you spot?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:31 am

Looks like 132 MU of 5U. The scene at 1:37 is my new desktop wallpaper.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 am

that didnt really do anything for me
song is pretty whatever and the glory shots of gear just makes me think "all that shit and this is what you're making?"
i mean more power to em, you're rich making music..its chill..but not my bag

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:53 pm

So I guess formica Danelectro guitars are also "in"? I saw one of them playing a Danelectro nearly identical to one I own. I say 'nearly' because I couldn't see the peghead to tell if it's a "Danelectro" Danelectro or a "Silvertone" Danelectro like my '64 that also has the amp/case as well as a big-assed ugly boat paddle of a peghead that's not on the "Danelectro" Danelectro.

In addition to the MU and Euro modular stuff, I was also noticing the EMS stuff and some other old stuff in the video. Oh! And there was actually some synth in the freakin' music! WOW!!! It apparently wasn't just knob-tweaking for the video cameras!

And, yes, I noticed both MU and Euro in the video! Peacefully coexisting together in harmony! No lines drawn in blood on the studio floor! No "My stuff is better than your stuff because ya-di-ya-di-ya-da!" No "Hey! Keep yer damned quarter-inch shit away from my eighth-inch shit!" You know, it's not the size of your patch cords or how big the box your shit is in but how you use it all that makes the real difference! Read. My. Lips. There is no such thing as mutually exclusive synth formats! Anyone telling you otherwise is attempting to sell you a steaming load of horse hockey.

Oh, Dear Lord, I am going to get sooooooooooo flamed now... I've read over this I don't know how many times, scared to hit the Submit button. But, go ahead! Just sear my ass to bone! I love the smell of my own burning flesh in the morning! But other than dem blinkenlichten clues, what sounds in the music are made by what modules in what synths? Of either kind? And how can you tell? And why is it just those modules and not necessarily combinations within the whole damned shootin' match? If I'm going to get quick-fried to a crackly crunch, at least provide a good logical reason for it! Especially when all I'm saying is that Depeche Mode made room for all of it in their studio, so why can't there be room for all of it in the rest of the world?

Anyway...

I liked DM (and Human League and Soft Cell and a bunch of other synth pop bands) back in the 80's and lost track of them as the 90's progressed. I wasn't all that into this song other than the visual aspect of all the synth goodies and cool guitars. If I'd heard the song on the radio, I probably would've switched it. Either they've changed, or I've changed. Probably both...

Of course, it doesn't really matter because I'm going to get cyber-murdered now anyway, never to be able to show my homely puss on MW again, because I dared to say that MU and Euro can live in the same world without Gozer and Zuul rearing their ugly heads. :hide:

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I like this Savage guy.

And whoever it was that mentioned the studio setting -- yeah!

Hanging out in a synth-laden glass & steel hi-rise overlooking Manhattan is my new waking dream sequence.

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Savage wrote:
I liked DM (and Human League and Soft Cell and a bunch of other synth pop bands) back in the 80's and lost track of them as the 90's progressed. I wasn't all that into this song other than the visual aspect of all the synth goodies and cool guitars. If I'd heard the song on the radio, I probably would've switched it. Either they've changed, or I've changed.
they've definitely changed. got too cocky and comfortable after Violator when they hit it big in the mainstream. that was their last good album. sadly it was all downhill from there. it's the same with Madonna. there's just something that success does to you that turns you deaf I guess. it's so sad. they were one of my favorite bands ever. :waah:

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 am

essex sound lab wrote:I like this Savage guy.

And whoever it was that mentioned the studio setting -- yeah!

Hanging out in a synth-laden glass & steel hi-rise overlooking Manhattan is my new waking dream sequence.
My wife and my mom are kind of fond of me, too. :hihi:

Even though I was attempting humor with a subject that can be volatile without the benefit of smiley faces, throughout history, people promoting peace and harmony often meet a bad end.

That is a nice studio! I really hadn't paid any attention to it until it was pointed out as I was totally involved with all of the gear. Is that their permanent studio, or did they have to haul all of that stuff there? Can you imagine being on the elevator with a Muzak version of "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background as you take a couple racks of modular synth up four or five dozen floors? A stranger with you on the elevator looks at all of that stuff, and you say, "Yeah, I know. And there's more on its way..."

I would certainly find the view inspirational, like overlooking a Grand Canyon made of concrete, glass, and steel. Whoa...

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 am

DM have lost it in terms of making interesting music, but their live shows are always great. My wife is a huge fan, so we go whenever they pass through and I thought they were really good.

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AntManBee » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 am

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:...there's just something that success does to you that turns you deaf I guess. it's so sad. they were one of my favorite bands ever.
When were they one of your favourite bands - before they were successful? The Some Bizarre album? DM were successful from the get-go and remained there for a very long time before their music went into decline.

I don't know what you are expecting here but there isn't a single musician or group with a long career whose music hasn't sloped off in quality over time. No one can sustain the level of their best work forever, be it Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, the Beach Boys...etc etc

What this video says to me is that unlimited funds and the acquisition of massive amounts of gear is not the road to creativity or inspiration, and that much of the greatest music has been made with fairly limited means, often before the musicians could afford good equipment.

Owning so much modular along with those vintage synths looks more like the result of boredom purchasing or desperation as there's very little liklihood that more than a small amount of it will be used meaningfully and much of it is probably superfluous. It reminds me of Moby's room full of unused drum machines.

Personally I think that DM would make much better music if Martin, Dave & Fletch went into a small studio with Daniel Miller with a few vintage synths, a guitar and some drum machines and relied on inventiveness and resourcefulness instead of walls of gear.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 am

hey.... at 2:27, check out the large object outside the window at the right side of the screen.... now THAT is a big modular synth.

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Well, I just listened to this again and I have to say, I like this piece. I think the vocal has a real blues grit to it. The track is mostly electronic (not sure about the percussion, some sounds electronic and some natural and the heavily effected guitar). They didn't muddy up the sound with reverb. Not like your average Pig and Dan or Orbital where they haven't escaped from the reverbatorium. When the buzz saw baseline line drops out in the bridges (choruses?) it feels like the air gets sucked out of my headphones (or maybe my head).

I listened to a couple of the VCMG tracks too (Album: SSSS - Single Blip, Spock). Again, a real driving EDM track without the mud.
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, given that the original topic of the thread was how many modules one could spot, here is my list of what I found. Keep in mind that I saw a lot more stuff that I wasn't sure about. The montage goes by so quickly, and sometimes so blurry, it's hard to tell what some of the stuff is. There is gear in there that some of you could probably identify just by the position of the knobs and jacks, but I'm only listing stuff that I'm pretty sure about. If I have a serious question about something, or if it's something I think people would really like to see, I list the time it can be seen in the video.

Cwejman AI-2 Audio Interface
Cwejman MX-4S 4-Channel VC Stereo Mixer
Cwejman PH-4 4-Phase Modulator
Cwejman S-1 (White Face)
Cwejman S-1 (Green Face) (?) (1:03)
Cwejman VCEQ-3 3-Band VC Parametric Equalizer
Cyndustries Euro-Format Saw Animator
Cyndustries Euro-Format Zeroscillator
Cyndustries MU-Format Zeroscillator
Another Cydustries Euro-Format Zeroscillator (previous had a Saw Animator next to it, this one has an A-111 beside it)
Division 6 Multiplicity XV
Doepfer A-101-2 Low Pass Gate
Doepfer A-111-1 VCO
Doepfer A-143-1 Complex Envelope Generator/LFO
Doepfer A-143-2 Quad ADSR
Doepfer A-147 VC LFO
Doepfer A-155 Analog/Trigger Sequencer (0:47)
Doepfer A-163 VC Frequency Divider
Dotcom Q106 VCO
Dotcom Q107 SVF
Dotcom Q108 VCA
Dotcom Q109 EG
Dotcom Q110 Noise
Dotcom Q111 Pan/Fade
Dotcom Q112 4-Channel Mixer
Dotcom Q113 8-Channel Mixer
Dotcom Q117 Sample and Hold
Dotcom Q124 Multiples
Dotcom Q125 Signal Processor
Dotcom Q147 Distributor
Dotcom Q150 Ladder Filter
Elby (?) Synthacon Filter (1:39)
EMS Synthi-A (2:20)
Harvestman 1986 Zorlon Cannon
Harvestman 2012 Malgorithm
Harvestman Tyme Safari
Korg MS-20 (0:58)
Makenoise DMMG
Moon M511ac Quad VC Gate Delay
Moon M565 Quad Quantizer
Moon M565E Quantizer Controller
Moon M568 Quad Sequential Trigger Sequencer
Moon M569 Sequential Voltage Controller
Oberheim SEM
Pittsburgh Dual Index
Pittsburgh Mod
Pittsburgh Oscillator
Pittsburgh VC-Bend
Serge (?) Complex Transient Generator (at 0:41)
Serge VCS
Wiard Anti-Oscillator

There is a Tiptop module at 0:44 that someone else could probably identify. I also included the EMS Synthi-A and Korg MS-20, even though they're not really modules. (Note that at 2:20, the Synthi-A has the left internal speaker mic'ed.) I counted the Cwejman S-1 twice because I know I saw a white-face, but I'm pretty sure there is a green-face in there, too. I also counted all of the ZO's - an MU-format and two Euro-formats, as the Euro-formats each had different modules beside of them. There was also an unknown grand piano in the corner at 2:55. There is some kind of synth keyboard that seems to have been played a lot, and it looks like it has "EXAGONE" on the back of it, but I don't know what it is.

So, counting the Korg and the EMS (and not counting the guitars or the grand piano since the OP asked about modules), I found 51 if I got them correctly. I am certain someone out there can find even more...

mattias
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattias » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Savage wrote:Well, given that the original topic of the thread was how many modules one could spot, here is my list of what I found. [...] I am certain someone out there can find even more...
I found less, but identified the module Martin Gore is reaching out to with his right hand several times (0:29, 2:39 and at 2:48) in the video: It is a Curetronic Stonehenge.

xclark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xclark » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:10 pm

AntManBee wrote:No one can sustain the level of their best work forever, be it Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin...
wait a second... did you just suggest that quality of the Beatles music diminished over their career?
AntManBee wrote:Personally I think that DM would make much better music if Martin, Dave & Fletch went into a small studio with Daniel Miller with a few vintage synths, a guitar and some drum machines and relied on inventiveness and resourcefulness instead of walls of gear.
that's actually a really great idea. I would love to see a number of bands do something like this. the only similar thing I can think of is Aphex Twin's Analord series, which I understand is him programming old synths and drum machines. highly recommended.

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:17 pm

I saw a close up of one of my favorites, the Intellijel Doctor Octature.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:39 pm

xclark wrote:
AntManBee wrote:No one can sustain the level of their best work forever, be it Elvis, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin...
wait a second... did you just suggest that quality of the Beatles music diminished over their career?
Abbey Road is a terrible album.
wtb: silence

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Something about this track and video reminds me of Pop era U2.

That room looks like one I've been in a few times. Then I realized that's not NYC...

I'm not very familiar with the DM cannon. Having listened to this 3 or so times watching the gear float by I have to say this is a pretty good song. Production is top notch, the sounds are great, mix is great, lyrics are pretty decent, and the song form makes sense. Weather or not it's your style you can't deny they know what they're doing.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm

From the view, I'd guess that place is in West Chelsea, about a block or two from the Hudson River. Surrounded by art galleries.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:21 am

my impression of this video is that they have too much superfluous gear. I saw them making music on an Iphone and I wanted to break my fucking keyboard into a million pieces. @ 0:51 and @ 1:47. although it is very possible that they go to bars and walk around, the video gives you the impression that they are far removed from the poverty and culture that once was NYC. my gut feeling is that one of their studio assistants picks out the modules and installs them into racks while they play with the iphones and order sushi from someone that delivers. they make music in this isolation chamber and probably have a hard time finding genuine inspiration. any why oh why does he need to pull out the Iphone right when the music gets intense? like this is his secret weapon for super awesome beats. I lol'ed. they probably did not edit the video themselves so it could be someone else's fault.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 am

sascha.victoria wrote:Then I realized that's not NYC...
oh really? I made a mistake then. where are they?

vozs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vozs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:13 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote: my gut feeling is that one of their studio assistants picks out the modules and installs them into racks while they play with the iphones and order sushi from someone that delivers.
The sadest thing i heard in years, they actually have an assistant
doing the most fun part of all! A sign of having to much money!
:ripbanana:

I heard Kraftwerk has shelved all the Sony Vaios and now is
just standing still with a Iphone in hand! Even RollingStones
in wheelchairs is more entertaining then that!
:zombie:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:45 pm

daverj wrote:From the view, I'd guess that place is in West Chelsea, about a block or two from the Hudson River. Surrounded by art galleries.
Oh, if that is Chelsea I do know that room. They're prolly renting it out.

deastman
Stuck in the 80's

Post by deastman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 am

I was warned about the vocals not being that great before watching the video. When the first couple of lines started, I thought "Oh no..." But then the song started to grow on me. Depeche Mode has historically been at their weakest when they try to do blues/gospel: Condemnation, John the Revelator, and others... There is something about Dave's archetypal synthpop baritone British accent trying to pull off a soulful blues performance which just doesn't quite work. Having said that, I think this was his strongest performance ever when attempting that style. I found it a little jarring when they jump completely out of the blues in the chorus section, but not necessarily in a bad way.

The music is pretty much what I've come to expect from them after the past couple of albums. I always think of the scene in Trainspotting where they're discussing Iggy Pop and the decline of his musical output. This new DM music isn't bad, but it isn't Violator, Black Celebration, or even "Everything Counts". Its a totally different band, and I don't think that can be entirely blamed on Alan's departure.

I think I'll probably grow to love this song after hearing it another 10 times or so. Then again, I could probably be brainwashed into loving a lot of terrible songs after hearing them enough times.

As for the modular content of the video, I'm personally glad to see Martin heading in this direction, continuing the trend from his Ebay vintage synth spending spree on the last album. My first thought was "Finally... Its about time he actually took an interest in synthesizers!"

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”