Do you organize your modules in any specific way?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Do you organize your modules in any specific way?

Post by estin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:19 pm

I was wondering if you guys bother organizing your modules in a way that makes certain common patch points easiest. I went through turmoil a few weeks ago when ordering my dotcom system and still unsure about the layout I decided on. Then I just kinda realized "its a modular, there is going to be a rats nest of cords going every which way" I think I've let it go. :deadbanana:
Last edited by estin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:21 pm

I prefer to organise mine septifically
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Fixed the title. That is what I get for posting while watching netflix in another tab.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm

i like to think of each 2 or 3 rows as a "subsystem", and try choose modules for each subsystem that can function as a standalone instrument...

in the eurorack format, there is also the temptation of grouping modules together by manufacturer, which i sometimes do, since it looks nice in some people's opinions and modules from any particular are more likely to play well together than otherwise. but since you are into a format (.com) where all front panels look similar, regardless of the manufacturer, this won't be an issue.

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

legionhwp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by legionhwp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm

I definitely organize my modules for work flow results. Now WHAT that work flow is does tend to change quite a bit and overall depends on the size of the modular I am working with and if it's multiple vertical levels rather than just horizontal. I read left to right so that's how my visual brain works too. I usually start with a sequencer and LFOs on the far left then sound sources (noise,vcos) then processors (filter, wave shapers) then an envelope/VcA/mixer setup of some sort.

If you think about a Serge animal panel is pretty much exactly like that So I would guess I'm not the only one who sees things like that.

Things get a bit more complicated if it's a very wide or multi level modular but in general I like to keep mixers towards the right end of a group of modules or under them so I can patch my mess up and mix (or sub mix) it live. My biggest modular is in modcanA format using sixpak blocks so I do have subsets of vco/vcf/env/vca/mixer all over the please which repeat. I also might line up a block of processors together or logic/trigger/gate modules, etc. I also tend to override my "rules" for modules that I think compliment each other particularly well (like a deep VCO and phaser, or prickly waveshaper output into a delay). I might throw in Lfos everywhere since you can never have enough close modulation sources :)

I've actually often wondered if people who read right to left see things in a different way than those who read left to right and if that would affect modular use. (seriously, I wonder about these things). Do we have any Left to right reading modular wigglers who can chime in?

[edit] I mean "do we have any RIGHT to LEFT reading wigglers..." Thanks to everyone who figured out what I meant anyway :tu:
Last edited by legionhwp on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making the Extraordinary from the Ordinary
Creative Electronic Instruments and Art:
Http://DAEDSound.com

Streaming and Downloadable Organic Electronic Music From the Past 20 Years:

Http://DavidTalento.Bandcamp.com

cat6batch
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cat6batch » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 pm

legionhwp wrote:...depends on the size of the modular I am working with and if it's multiple vertical levels rather than just horizontal...
This is definitely what you want to look at first. Your flow wont be left to right if your working with 10-12ru of 19" modular.

In one of my Euro cases with 9u of 112hp I had my 3 rows setup like so;

Top row: CV processing: MIDI-CV, EG's, VCA's, Mixers...
Middle: Sound sources and processing, so VCO's, filters, noise sources and LFO's (LFO's could have gone in the top row I guess...)
Bottom: Sequencers, touch input, switching etc (the most hands on stuff)

Even if you just get a rough idea of how you want it you'll feel it out pretty quickly and figure out how you would like it. Either way, you are always going to have a mess of cables unless you get a Microkorg :hihi:

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 am

legionhwp wrote:I've actually often wondered if people who read right to left see things in a different way than those who read left to right and if that would affect modular use. (seriously, I wonder about these things). Do we have any Left to right reading modular wigglers who can chime in?

Pu em skcuf yllatot ti dna tfel ot thgir daer I

:hihi:

:doh:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

cat6batch
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cat6batch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 am

legionhwp wrote: I've actually often wondered if people who read right to left see things in a different way than those who read left to right and if that would affect modular use. (seriously, I wonder about these things). Do we have any Left to right reading modular wigglers who can chime in?

Ranxerox
All the gear, no idea

Post by Ranxerox » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 am

I have two cabinets, roughly arranged so that cv/gate sources and modifiers are in the left one, and more audio-related ones are in the right. Also so that the most often-connected modules aren't too far apart.

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:15 pm

My little 9U modular lives on my left hand side so the modules I tweak the most (i.e. with my left hand) live in the left side of my case. In my case (pardon the pun) those are my filters and envelopes. In fact my modular, really a 2-oscillator mono synth, is laid out back-to-front when compared to conventional synths:

FILTERS--OSCILLATORS--MIXER
VCA--ENVELOPES--LFOS
Dripfeed

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I start with "freakin awesome" at the top left, and move clockwise through "dubstep woop woop" to "wtf does this thing do?".
I find this the most intuitive path. YMMV.

ideovideov
Common Wiggler

Post by ideovideov » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:02 am

i like having more performance based cv modules / cv modules i touch a lot :hyper: to be grouped. i have them all in my monster base. also got a row of filters. vcos on top row.. not as organized as you would think tho.. i have ADD

bwhittington
Terrifying Brain Secret

Post by bwhittington » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 am

I've put a great deal of time and thought into organizing my layout to suit my use, but it is less important when your system is new and presumably still small. Just put them in a semi-logical order to you and know that you are going to be moving modules a number of times as you learn how and where you can best make use of them.

Congrats on your new system!

Cheers,
Brian

PYJAMAGROOVE
Wiggling with Experience

Post by PYJAMAGROOVE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:57 am

Shouldn't Maths go in the middle of any system? :despair:

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:29 am

For a 5U 22-MU cabinet:

(left to right)

1 MU 2 Ch. MIDI to CV converter
2 MU Dual LFO/VCA
2 MU VCO
1 MU ADSR EG
2 MU VCF
1 MU ADSR EG
1 MU VCA
1 MU Multiples
2 MU VCO
1 MU ADSR EG
2 MU VCF
1 MU ADSR EG
1 MU VCA
(odd row) 1 MU Ring mod
(odd row) 1 MU Noise generator
(odd row) 1 MU Quad VCA/Panner
(even row) 1 MU Multiples
(even row) 2 MU 4 Ch. Mixer/Processor

2 "voice" rows so far
Knobcon 7 - 2018 Photo Album
While website and store updates are in progress, access the Grove Audio Synth Store
Tesla Science Center http://www.teslasciencecenter.org

dml
Common Wiggler

Post by dml » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:05 am

When I started my first MU cabinet, I based it closely on the Moog Model 15 - That's still, basically, the core of my system. The second cabinet (to the right) houses the sequencer, additional oscillators, etc. I'm considering, for sometime in the future, a portable system based on the ARP 2600. I like the left to right workflow.

Best,

dml

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

I organise my modules by height. :nutter:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Generally I have oscillators and LFOs on one row, filters on another row, and "everything else" (MIDI, dividers, envelopes, VCAs) on the third row, with a mult and a mixer on the right side of each row. I've got some modules recently that don't really fit, I might have an even more esoteric "everything else" rack eventually.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Alphabetically, of course. Is there any other reasonable way to do it?

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:11 am

fac wrote:Alphabetically, of course. Is there any other reasonable way to do it?
Oh yes, lots of other reasonable ways! I've already mentioned how I do it, so I'll just add: by module depth, knob size, layers of dust/etc, font size, weight, accumulated cat hairs, PCB colour, and smell. Anyone who sorts their modules by taste is just sick.

I'm joking, of course. The only two reasonable ways to sort your modules are, like books, alphabetically and by height. So it's just you and me vs the rest of Muffs! :hide:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 am

....what about sorting by power consumption?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:26 am

By price?

better still, by Muffs' fetish value?

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:53 am

I sort mine by whether Mercury was in retrograde or not at time of purchase.

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 am

By date purchased?
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 am

By color?

Oh hell, that won't work too well for MU. :doh: