it's time to discuss cynthia

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Reese P. Dubin wrote:Matrix is EVERYTHING that is wrong with the synth world, and the world at large.

Hype hype hype and making $ off of other people creativity.
I couldn't agree more... unfortunately. :roll:

SYN7HOR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SYN7HOR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:This is a good example of why I'll never take advertisements here at the forum, it makes for an uneven/unfair playing field and causes ethical dilemmas.
Good call. Surely one of the ingredients to the awesomeness that is this site. Really the best forum I've ever frequented. Thank you.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 pm

John Noble wrote:
More seriously, I've worked in a lot of different fields and have yet to encounter one where people consistently act in a "professional and mature fashion."
While that is obviously true, I've been involved with 'boutique' instruments since the late 80's, mostly drums and cymbals, and have never encountered so much bad business practice as I've witnessed in the modular synth world.
Happily, the dreamers are very much in the minority, while the majority of one and two man module makers consistently deliver what they promise (IMHO).

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 pm

infradead wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:This is a good example of why I'll never take advertisements here at the forum, it makes for an uneven/unfair playing field and causes ethical dilemmas. I'd rather lose money than have to be "that guy".

Although now with all these newcomer dealers there's stupid ugliness I'm having to deal with, like the guy who is telling people I'd agreed to run advertisements for him, or the other guy who is trying to manipulate me to position his business. Fuck all that, I'm so glad this is just a hobby for me and I earn my pay cheque in a field where people actually behave in a mature and professional fashion.
Ha don't let the bastards grind you down.

Donation on the way to pay for beer and donuts!
I'm sending in a donation for Muff as well. He puts up with the lot of us on a regular basis, and now he's been seduced by the evil Cynthia's Web issues. That boy NEEDS a beer. Or two. Or 10. :guinness:

Go Muff!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm

infradead wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:This is a good example of why I'll never take advertisements here at the forum, it makes for an uneven/unfair playing field and causes ethical dilemmas. I'd rather lose money than have to be "that guy".

Although now with all these newcomer dealers there's stupid ugliness I'm having to deal with, like the guy who is telling people I'd agreed to run advertisements for him, or the other guy who is trying to manipulate me to position his business. Fuck all that, I'm so glad this is just a hobby for me and I earn my pay cheque in a field where people actually behave in a mature and professional fashion.
Ha don't let the bastards grind you down.

Donation on the way to pay for beer and donuts!
[video][/video]
Donation for beer enroute. We're not trying to turn you into some sort of alcoholic modular synth primmadonna, we really like you. And beer. :guinness:
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm

chrisso wrote:
John Noble wrote:
More seriously, I've worked in a lot of different fields and have yet to encounter one where people consistently act in a "professional and mature fashion."
While that is obviously true, I've been involved with 'boutique' instruments since the late 80's, mostly drums and cymbals, and have never encountered so much bad business practice as I've witnessed in the modular synth world.
All I can say is that one Silicon Valley executive and VC dude I worked for is in federal prison for a couple of decades, while another I worked for in the electric utility industry is under investigation by NY AG's office, the SEC, and an alphabet soup of others. Another executive I worked for, a London School of Economics alum who co-founded a well-known dotcom that went public in a big way, tried to screw me for crass political reasons (he lost). Yet another Ivy League boy wonder who is now a VP at one of the biggest Internet companies there is tried to screw me out of vested stock options at another company when he was CFO there (he lost too). The list goes on, and I've lived a rather tranquil life.

One man bands do not have the means to practice business as badly as it is commonly practiced in corporate America and beyond.
Go make some music.
http://prettyhowtown.net

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Ouch, although I see a running theme there ^^

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:48 pm

email from Cynthia 26 June
HI Ross, Thank you for the photographs, we were all kind of stunned.

Fortunately only one new Buchla format ZOe shipped (yours of course) and as soon as I started working on the next one here I noticed the panel level and eccentric knob issues.
(the pot shafts are oddly undersized and I contacted a supplier about an immediate replacement today. )

Five of us here tonight were stunned at the Tiny-Jax compatibility issue and know that an immediate solution must be found. Most likely another run of boards pronto with the Tiny-Jax
I didn't realize it was that big an issue and your emailed pictures have sent us scrambling for the proper solution.

The one picture with the nut under the panel made me sick, I cannot imagine how we missed that except that yes, were were rushing to make the dead-line that you created.

All along I have strived to get so many details right, and now this! You have y assurance that this will be solved swiftly and properly regardless of cost to the company.

Perhaps you would grant us a few days to solve this most swiftly and intelligently. We've all been talking tonight about this after getting your email and have several ideas.

As you see we do have a finalized Zeroscillator in Surface Mount, that promise has been fulfilled.
Unfortunately with the too skinny jacks you weren't able to enjoy the proper Buchla signal levels this time.

Anyway, no excuses, that first one off the assembly line has several issues.

If you would be so kind as to recognize that we have made many improvements and still have not quite got it right
we would be happy to ship you another unit with the new jacks the moment we can build one, and know we'd damn well get it right this final time?
(We're really working hard for this, we really want to do it right and with your order or without, we are going to do this right and only wish you that would hang in with us while we quickly figure out the best solution).

My apologies Ross for rushing that out the door and not sending our best work, I don't really know how we missed those important details/

Cynthia

John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 pm

chrisso wrote:Ouch, although I see a running theme there ^^
The theme is "real life." :party:

Don't get me started on the hipster kids running the marketing for a major American soft drink company or their media partners over at one of the big cable networks. "Thieves" isn't the right word because they're not actually trying to steal from you--they're just too clueless and disorganized to pay what they promised.

Then there's the restaurant business ....

Hunter Thompson's description of the music business comes to mind. :eek:

Unless Muff is working for our new robot overlords (which I for one welcome), I find it hard to believe it's any different from modular synths, used car sales, pharmaceuticals (GlaxoSmithKline, heh), or the US Secret Service.

The road to hell in the current drama was no doubt paved with good intentions. It's important to remember that everyone, almost without exception, thinks they are the good guy and can give you a lengthy explanation why that is true.
Go make some music.

Mongo1
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mongo1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Five of us here tonight were stunned at the Tiny-Jax compatibility issue and know that an immediate solution must be found. Most likely another run of boards pronto with the Tiny-Jax
I didn't realize it was that big an issue and your emailed pictures have sent us scrambling for the proper solution.

The one picture with the nut under the panel made me sick, I cannot imagine how we missed that except that yes, were were rushing to make the dead-line that you created.
I am shocked - SHOCKED to find that there is gambling going on in this establishment.

Who the hell does she think she's kidding?

Gary
I'd never belong to a club that would have ME as a member. Except for Muffwiggler.com

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't mind when people are cynical, they usually have very good reasons for it.

And I'm not overly surprised when people make gross generalizations, again there are usually good reasons.

However I really don't like when people's cynicism and generalizations are foisted upon me by proxy.

John it sounds lke you've been working for companies run in America by Americans that have the sole goal of creating profit for key stakeholders.

I work for a Swedish company that's run by a Canadian that has the primary goal of making people safe and saving lives.

My experience doesn't mirror yours. Unless you've walked in my shoes it's unfair for you to speak for me. And you're basically saying that I was lying in my previous post. Why? Is life everywhere just like yours? Are all people just like the Ivy League/Silicon Valley people you know? Be fair.

I'm a bit touchy about people putting words in my mouth at the moment as this week a number of people have been trying to do just that to me and I don't like it at all. No offense is intended dude.

I'm about to shut down for a 16-hour flight. Thank-you everyone for your kind support! I am going to spend these donations on beer when I get home. I missed Canada Day and my family because I was working on the other side of the world to keep people safe. I'm ready for beer. Thanks guys :love:

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:09 pm

amnesia wrote:email from Cynthia 26 June

Perhaps you would grant us a few days to solve this most swiftly and intelligently. We've all been talking tonight about this after getting your email and have several ideas.
we would be happy to ship you another unit with the new jacks the moment we can build one, and know we'd damn well get it right this final time?

Cynthia
Honestly, if it were me, my immediate answer would be "refund within 24 hours".
You've gone the extra mile (and then some), the other party hasn't.
End of story, time to move on.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm

me i'd just want my money back over getting a module at this point

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:26 pm

I have stated to Cynthia that I wanted the refund into my paypal account by 1 July 2012 and nothing has been paid, so now its small claims.

Worst company in the world, never any truth to anything they say. Yet Cynthia still sells items on ebay so she has money.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Email her again, in case she had some feint hope you'd go for a replacement module.
Getting a refund in Paypal is imminently preferable to going to court. So I would pester her with an email a day, until your court date.

John Noble
Pining for the fjords

Post by John Noble » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm

"... run in America by Americans ..."

:deadbanana:
Go make some music.

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:33 pm

chrisso wrote:Email her again, in case she had some feint hope you'd go for a replacement module.
Getting a refund in Paypal is imminently preferable to going to court. So I would pester her with an email a day, until your court date.
Paypal are only good for 45 days this has been 14 months now.
Banks are only good for 3 months.

I can email until I am blue in the face, she will not reply.

emc2
is banned
is banned

Post by emc2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:gross generalizations
Muff Wiggler wrote:it sounds lke you've been working for companies run in America by Americans that have the sole goal of creating profit for key stakeholders.

I work for a Swedish company that's run by a Canadian that has the primary goal of making people safe and saving lives.
Muff Wiggler wrote:Be fair.

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:24 pm

I just read that email from Cynthia to Ross. I'm writing this in the personal context of being a trained expert in behavior, psychopathology, and related areas, I get the very strong sense that Cynthia will have a difficult time making this right. The nature of that message and just following this thread and knowing about the details posted gives me the feeling that Cynthia has a limited ability to truly rectify this without a significant amount of assistance.

I can only imagine all of your frustrations. I hope you get your money back.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 pm

decaying.sine wrote:I'm writing this in the personal context of being a trained expert in behavior, psychopathology, and related areas
Interesting.

By the way, your module is in the post.... :hide:

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 pm

chrisso wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:I'm writing this in the personal context of being a trained expert in behavior, psychopathology, and related areas
Interesting.

By the way, your module is in the post.... :hide:

:drinking:
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 pm

email from Cynthia 26 June wrote: ... I cannot imagine how we missed that except that yes, were were rushing to make the dead-line that you created.
It was important for her to establish that the screwed up module was all your fault for rushing her.

divisionbyzero
Veteran Wiggler

Post by divisionbyzero » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 pm

nikmis wrote:
email from Cynthia 26 June wrote: ... I cannot imagine how we missed that except that yes, were were rushing to make the dead-line that you created.
It was important for her to establish that the screwed up module was all your fault for rushing her.
that's exactly how i read it. of course this says otherwise:

divisionbyzero
Veteran Wiggler

Post by divisionbyzero » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 pm

i also don't believe she didn't scrutinize the very first ZOe to ship out in two years.

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 pm

divisionbyzero wrote:i also don't believe she didn't scrutinize the very first ZOe to ship out in two years.
[video][/video]

maybe its a ninja module that not so much slipped by, but broke free...
We make guitar pedals: whimsymachines.com :party:

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”