Users that strictly only use modulars and own no keyboards?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

darkriver
Common Wiggler

Users that strictly only use modulars and own no keyboards?

Post by darkriver » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:36 am

Was just curious how many, if any, users out there strictly only use modulars and don't own and use any keyboards?

Or do most if not all modular users also commonly own and use keyboard-synths as well?

Thought it was an interesting topic.

:mygod:

sundog
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sundog » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:48 am

No keyboard for me (apart from the occasion prod or stroke on Pressure Points).

Even when I had my Octave Kitten monosynth in my teenage days (we're going back a bit here) I preferred drones and rhythms. More recently I owned a keyboard Evolver and the keys were a complete waste of time for me.

I should add that I play the guitar and admire great keyboard players. Nothing against conventional technique or skilled musicianship. It's just that personally I find the power of synths and particularly modulars lies beyond the black and white notes.....YMMV

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:00 am

i was keyboardless for many years, didn't stop me making music!

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 am

sundog wrote: I should add that I play the guitar and admire great keyboard players. Nothing against conventional technique or skilled musicianship. It's just that personally I find the power of synths and particularly modulars lies beyond the black and white notes.....YMMV
I'm a guitar player too. My first synth (Synthi AKS) obviously has no keyboard. I agree wholeheartedly with sun...

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 am

I use a WX-7 wind controller, it's basically a Midi Clarinet, but with a few extra features and controllers.

I can't play keyboard (or guitar for that matter) but really enjoy the freedom to emulate other instruments or create any timbre I want with the modular and WX-7.

JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

Post by JRock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 am

I own keyboards, but I'm primarily a guitar/Bass player. Most of the time when I use My modular I do not have it hooked up to any sort of Keys or pads though. That's one of the reasons I was drawn to modulars... I feel like I've been writing the same song over and over for 19 years. The Modular helps me to break out of those same three notes. Now I only use 1 or 2 :hihi:

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:05 am

I have a midi controller keyboard but never use it with the modular. Pressure Points, a joystick and a ribbon controller are all I've needed to date.

hollowman
blind rhinoceros

Post by hollowman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:06 am

LoFi Junglist wrote:I use a WX-7 wind controller, it's basically a Midi Clarinet, but with a few extra features and controllers.

I can't play keyboard (or guitar for that matter) but really enjoy the freedom to emulate other instruments or create any timbre I want with the modular and WX-7.
awesome!
Beautiful broken machine.

hawklord2112 wrote:
then again my first two modules were a vca and PLL, wth do i know?

Nyabingi
Learning to Wiggle

No keys

Post by Nyabingi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 am

No keys for me, sequencers only :)

Hosaka
is board

Post by Hosaka » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am

Waiting for MiniBrute.... :love:
How can you call yourself a DJ if you don't even know how to babysit a bunch of kids?

JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

Post by JRock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:13 am

Here's a song I just wrote without using a conventional interface. The sequence pitch changes are patched in using ANDs, ORs, XORs and FlipFlops;)
http://soundcloud.com/jrock-1/roto-killer

Granted, I looped samples of the bars up on my MPC... but that was after the fact :hihi:

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:48 am

i dont own a keyboard - and the last keyboard i had i never used because i spend more time trying to play things note/timing/pressure perfect or editing the errors afterward that i dont get any useful work done if i do use one.

i do however use a lot of midi controllers - often 10 channels of note on/off, pitch, modulation and velocity in a single patch...

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 am

I have a respectable pile of keyboards... But I have no way to control my modular with them. I used to have a midi-cv interface but I committed myself to a year of keyboard less modular. Well it's been about a year and a half now and honestly I'm in no big hurry. Especially considering I have no adsr envelopes any more.
:hobbes:

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 am

never use keyboard with my modular.
every now and then I use my appendage but 99% of the time its knobs and patchcords

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 am

JRock wrote:The Modular helps me to break out of those same three notes. Now I only use 1 or 2 :hihi:
Very quote-worthy :party:

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 am

here i've no keyboard but i'm using launchpad with Numerology and a Padkontrol
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 am

JRock wrote:I own keyboards, but I'm primarily a guitar/Bass player. Most of the time when I use My modular I do not have it hooked up to any sort of Keys or pads though. That's one of the reasons I was drawn to modulars... I feel like I've been writing the same song over and over for 19 years. The Modular helps me to break out of those same three notes. Now I only use 1 or 2 :hihi:
I assume you kept the A. Did you drop the C or the G?

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 am

Currently, I do not have a keyboard, so technically I do not use keyboards. However, I do have plans to eventually pick up one (or three - MiniBrute, Akai MPK61, and the Synthesizers walnut one)

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 am

i dont "strctly" do anything but my most native modular environment involves no keyboards. when i use keyboard it is almost always to accompany the modular or sometimes sync to external boxes via trigs. but my modular has no keyboard.

JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

Post by JRock » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 am

albiedamned wrote:
I assume you kept the A. Did you drop the C or the G?
I told you I'm a guitar/Bass player! I have absolutely No Idea!!
:hihi:

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:45 am

No key's/synths for me.I actually ended up selling everything eventually in order to fund more modular .Sometimes i do miss having a poly in the rig though.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 am

My only working keyboard is currently in a bag sitting in a cupboard, waiting for the day when I get around to cleaning it. :doh: It's only 2.5 octaves, but I sometimes miss it. The rest of the time, I use MIDI files.

It's amazing how much can be done without a keyboard. I can even calibrate my VCOs with out one. (I use Csound to switch octaves.)
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Repeater
Phantom Powers

Post by Repeater » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:37 am

This is the only keyboard I use:

bouzoukijoe1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I have keyboards but I never use them with the modular. I think a lot of the fun of modular is programming phrases with LFOs and sequencers, so I hardly ever feel like I need to plug a keyboard in.

WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by WaveRider » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:19 pm

I have many controllers keyboards... but don't use any with the modular... but I sometimes play PP and René with my fingers...

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”