SEQ with a ZERO stage possible in Random Mode?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

SEQ with a ZERO stage possible in Random Mode?

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:48 pm

Was going through my SEQ complement and realized one didn't have Random mode. For various technical reasons, to add it means it would sometimes put out a 0 and no stage would be selected. So there would be no CV or Gate/Trig out for that CLK beat.

Is this all bad? Or could it be a good thing?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: SEQ with a ZERO stage possible in Random Mode?

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Hmm. If you're using it to generate a randomly selected set of notes in a 12-tone scale, and zero volts doesn't equate to the root pitch and falls somewhere between the notes, that would be unmusical. Or if it's just not a musically useful interval when used along with the other eight steps, that could also sound 'off'. Like if all eight steps were tuned to fairly high values, the occasionally occurring much lower note from the randomly selected zero step may sound out of place.

Regarding the missing gate/trig, if you want to ensure you get a trig on every beat and avoid a 'missing' gate when the random selects zero, you could address that just by using whatever the initial clock source is for triggering all the downstream stuff instead of using the gate/trig outs of the seq.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 pm

silence is golden
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:47 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 pm
Regarding the missing gate/trig, if you want to ensure you get a trig on every beat and avoid a 'missing' gate when the random selects zero, you could address that
I was thinking more along the llines of sduck's reply. That the first part of your reply -unquoted here- wouldn't matter since there'd be no gate or trigger to allow the 0th stage to have any effect.

Kind of like a 960, but instead of it going to the 'rest' stage at one end, it just went there randomly. Random rests.

I imagine that's something that's somewhat formed -or informed?- by the way the Triadex Muse lets you replace all occurances of the lowest available note with a rest instead? <--Since I'd been working on that recently.

This SEQ weasn't intended to have that, but it seems like it might be a nice 'auto' respite from the sometimes monotonous strict and regular clocking it seems analog SEQs are often seen doing..
Piqued my interest when I came across it in the modules review and so I thought more about it. To the point it seems like it might be useful as a general patching device or technique? It does often -but not always- improve the output of a MUSE.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”