modern cv/gate recorder?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

modern cv/gate recorder?

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm

I recently restored an old Roland CSQ-600 and now that it's working correctly, it seems to be a very useful device when dealing with modulars and step sequencers. You can record into 4 different sections (150 steps max per section) then play them back and dynamically switch between the banks. Plus you can add rests and glide as you're recording.

If you hook it in-line (step sequencer/arpeggiator -> CSQ -> modular), you can noodle around until you get something you like, then record that into a bank, keep playing, switch to another bank, record that, etc. Very well thought out device from Roland back in the day.

Is there anything more modern out there that does something similar? The Koma Komplex sequencers have extra banks of cv available, but each bank is limited to 32 steps and it only records cv. Ideally a large amount of storage that records both cv and gate (to capture the gate on times and timing) and gives you the ability to switch between recorded sections.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Re: modern cv/gate recorder?

Post by jfloftin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:05 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm
I recently restored an old Roland CSQ-600 and now that it's working correctly, it seems to be a very useful device when dealing with modulars and step sequencers. You can record into 4 different sections (150 steps max per section) then play them back and dynamically switch between the banks. Plus you can add rests and glide as you're recording.

If you hook it in-line (step sequencer/arpeggiator -> CSQ -> modular), you can noodle around until you get something you like, then record that into a bank, keep playing, switch to another bank, record that, etc. Very well thought out device from Roland back in the day.

Is there anything more modern out there that does something similar? The Koma Komplex sequencers have extra banks of cv available, but each bank is limited to 32 steps and it only records cv. Ideally a large amount of storage that records both cv and gate (to capture the gate on times and timing) and gives you the ability to switch between recorded sections.
Good luck with this. There is the Analogue Systems RS-450 that is a CV and Gate recorder. It is not as extensive as the Roland CSQ-600 but if you go to their website, they have recomended patches that if set up would be ok for a single monophonic patch i.e. one voice. It is pricey at about $1,300...

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm

I guess the question then is - is there a market for something like this or do people approach using cv/gate, step sequencers as live tools and/or only record audio?

twentyfive2lyfe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twentyfive2lyfe » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:21 am

for the money it makes sense to me to just grab an MPC One/Live II or a Pyramid for extensive CV sequencing, but if I had unlimited funds to throw at it I would love a giant physical CV recorder/sequencer

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 am

I have started a thread for this in the past and I agree that there is a gap in eurorack with a more detailed CV/Gate Recorder.

I really like finding odd and interesting sequences with turing machines, random functions, etc.
It would be great to have a more detailed cv/gate recording device to save and organize the "found sequences" to use later.

Here is a future sort of way I plan to do this......
I currently have an MPC ONE (and Akai Force, which is back in the closet until they add multi midi)
The nice things about the new akais is they do a good job of recording into the midi input, where you can then easily edit and move notes around on the grid.
The yet to be released Erica Black Sequencer has CV and Gate recording. The key differences with this is that many modules have CV, but not cv AND gate recording options. The other really cool thing is that it has Midi In AND Out.

So..... You could record instances of CV/GATE and then not only send that out to other modules but also to external poly synths, MPC midi in, etc.

Anyway, yes, we need more options for this!
FS- Endorphin.es System with Buchla Panels, Analogue Solutions Generator, Ladik Sequencer Trio
WTB: Pittsburgh Modualar Voltage Lab

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am

The "Quad CV Recorder" by Flame may be the best multi-track CV recorder available. It is expensive, though, and the interface is quirky, but I cannot find anything better. There is definitely a hole in the market.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am

Doesn't ADDAC make a control voltage signal recorder? Seems like they do, or did.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
... I'm dyin' in a vat in the garage ...

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 pm

Antimatter Brainseed is a nice step-oriented option for single-track CV recording and playback modulation.

I believe one Disting could actually record two lanes in its "audio recorder" mode - for example, a 1v/oct sequence into the "left" input and the gate sequence into the "right input". it would be stored as a stereo .wav file that could be played back in any of the audio playback modes, and you could store many such recordings into the Disting and switch between them in the audio playback algorithms. this works because all Distings are DC-coupled and all the "audio"-oriented modes also work with sub-audio-rate signals.

a nice bonus of the Disting route is that you can edit those stored CV patterns on your computer through the .wav files that are stored to the SD card.

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 pm

I sequence on the DAW, but have been tempted to get some capability to have modulation looping in the rack. After understanding how Voltage Block works it seems like a tempting option, but would be much nicer to record modulations from my Koma Kommander for example, instead of the little fiddly faders. But I'm also surprised how limited the options are. It seems like Droid might become the best option, but since it would most likely be used for CV recording for me it would make more sense with a dedicated unit.

4-8 channels, speed controlled with clock and ramp/CV, variable resolution from a beat to audiorate and easy loop recording. With a proper button for each track to record, mute, edit etc.

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 pm

I am starting to Es-8 or es-9 can gate record (using vcvrack), then loop that right back into the euro rack.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 am

Thanks to all that have responded so far. Lots of products to take a closer look at and see what might work best.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am

jfloftin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:05 pm
There is the Analogue Systems RS-450 that is a CV and Gate recorder. It is not as extensive as the Roland CSQ-600 but if you go to their website, they have recomended patches that if set up would be ok for a single monophonic patch i.e. one voice. It is pricey at about $1,300...
The RS-450 records anything you feed it (it docent care about v/oct, it just records voltages) at 14kHz sample rate and 16 bits (it can record audio ar this rate). It records 4 channels of stuff. It records to a removable memory card (though not exactly front panel accessible). It has 10 memories with four channels per memory. It had a fish dedicated channel just for recording clocks and triggers. You can change sequences live during playback. It comes with a 4GB card which will record 40 minutes in the fastest realtime. It will also do step time recording. You can put in a larger card.

AS RS-450 CV REcorder.png
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:09 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am
jfloftin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:05 pm
There is the Analogue Systems RS-450 that is a CV and Gate recorder. It is not as extensive as the Roland CSQ-600 but if you go to their website, they have recomended patches that if set up would be ok for a single monophonic patch i.e. one voice. It is pricey at about $1,300...
The RS-450 records anything you feed it (it docent care about v/oct, it just records voltages) at 14kHz sample rate and 16 bits (it can record audio ar this rate). It records 4 channels of stuff. It records to a removable memory card (though not exactly front panel accessible). It has 10 memories with four channels per memory. It had a fish dedicated channel just for recording clocks and triggers. You can change sequences live during playback. It comes with a 4GB card which will record 40 minutes in the fastest realtime. It will also do step time recording. You can put in a larger card.

AS RS-450 CV REcorder.png
Hey James, do you have one of these? There are basically no demos of this thing on YouTube or other platforms, just one from years ago made by Big City Music and it is kind of a lame demo in my opinion. If you do have one, do a demo, it would be welcome.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm

The RS was the first thing I looked at, but it only does cv, and I have stuff that can just record cv. I was hoping for a full cv+gate recorder to preserve the gate lengths, timing changes, etc.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm
The RS was the first thing I looked at, but it only does cv, and I have stuff that can just record cv. I was hoping for a full cv+gate recorder to preserve the gate lengths, timing changes, etc.
Think of it this way. The RS-450 has 4 CV channels. Those channels don't care if the signal is CV, gate, or audio. So if you needed separate CV/gate inputs, use one input for the CV signal and another input for the gate signal. In that case, you can think of the RS-450 has having two CV/gate channels or one gate channel and 3 CV channels, etc.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:55 am

Can Planar 2 record external CV?? Worth a look.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am

revtor wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:55 am
Can Planar 2 record external CV?? Worth a look.
no, only the joystick's movements

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:33 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 pm
From the webpage - "Any pulse of 'high' voltage received at the CLOCK IN when the RS-450 is armed or recording is echoed to the CLOCK OUT as a +12V pulse of the correct duration, irrespective of the shape of the original voltage.

Note: You can record Triggers and Gates into CHANNELS 1 to 4, but these are then replayed exactly as presented. CLOCK IN and CLOCK OUT differ from the conventional channels by reshaping the pulses (or other received voltages) into 'square' Gates."

So four channels of CV and one of Gates.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:47 am

jfloftin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:09 pm
Hey James, do you have one of these? There are basically no demos of this thing on YouTube or other platforms, just one from years ago made by Big City Music and it is kind of a lame demo in my opinion. If you do have one, do a demo, it would be welcome.
Gotta say I don't have one. At $1299.95 here in the states, it is a bit too much of an investment for me right now. The only analogue sound producing stuff left in my setup, stuff that could use this as a sequencer, is one 6U x 84HP cabinet with AS VCOs and filters in it and currently I have 5 MIDI>CV converters and a Planar II so it is pretty much covered. It was to be my Synthi "work alike" but my money has gone elsewhere. I imagine the cost of this unit keeps a lot of the typical YouTube folk from having one for a demo. Always on my wish list. Sure looks great on paper though. If it is anything like the Synthi Sequencers (I have experience with the KS), it would be fun to use for sure. At that price though, a dedicated Expert Sleeper setup might do as well.

This is the only video I have found, and it is pretty uninspiring. Looks like a batch of step mode recordings being switched between, and only one channel.

-James

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat, although I have more cv/gate stuff available to sequence. The price plus the fact I've got a modest 5U system and no Eurorack means an even larger investment.

As I work through the stuff that's here in more detail, the reality is that recording both cv and gate ends up being not as useful if you want something else to be the master clock. In my case, I do not want the CSQ to be the master clock since it's fairly limited in what it can drive. What I've been doing is using one part of a Koma Komplex as a gate generator and then using the built in mod points to change up gate length, muted steps, etc and then driving a DotCom Gate math module with that to then control the timings for each sequence in the chain.

umm, that reads more complicated than it is in practice. A couple cables and a Moon 564 switch to change between cv sequences and it's good to go.

swannodette
Learning to Wiggle

Post by swannodette » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 pm

I use the ES-9 and ES-8 to record CV/gates into Logic. Once in Logic you have access to all the usual tools - editing, crossfading. Just works.

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:34 pm

swannodette wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:12 pm
I use the ES-9 and ES-8 to record CV/gates into Logic. Once in Logic you have access to all the usual tools - editing, crossfading. Just works.
I've heard good things about the Expert Sleeper stuff.
Unfortunately, that would require me purchasing, configuring, and using a DAW for recording.

I haven't had a strong enough desire to make that jump yet.

metamorphmuses
Learning to Wiggle

Post by metamorphmuses » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:29 am

Rossum Assimil8or has 8 channels that can be used to record CV, saved and recalled, and then be triggered with an external sequencer.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”