Cat-Proof Patch Cable Storage

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Cat-Proof Patch Cable Storage

Post by dragulasbruder » Sun May 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi-

Love my little critter but he's a real active one and a major pain when I'm trying to play (tries to grab cables off my desk, if not straight out of my hand). The hanging-spaghetti method is 100% nope. Anyone have any clever solutions to keeping cables relatively organized (at least moreso than my current haystack of unravelled rainbows) that doesn't appear like a brightly colored multifarious cat toy?

I use 3.5mm patch cables FWIW, but interested to hear back from anyone in any format. I've considered getting a tackle box or sewing kit or something, but the dimensions never seem right.

Thanks!
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Cat-Proof Patch Cable Storage

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:39 pm

.. he wants more attention from you .. he knows if he messes with your stuff you'll pay attention to him. maybe take time to play with him more when you're not at your synth? or something? maybe? :)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:39 pm
maybe take time to play with him more when you're not at your synth?
Wasn't looking for parenting tips, thanks. Plenty of other forums for that. Spaghetti-juggling usually starts when he gets the idea that mealtime is soon, but not now--it's definitely to get attention.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun May 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Hang them higher?
Or, if space allows, stretch them out on narrow shelves. Add a lip to the front of each shelf.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 pm

I'll suggest some medium sized plastic tupperware style storage boxes, with easily removable lids. Depending on your degree of anal compulsion you could get a bunch - one for each length of patch cords or some similar method of organization. Or just get one or two large-ish ones and throw them all in there. Target sells some nice ones that have lids you can fasten closed, but if you flip up the closer thingies the top can stay on but be easily removable.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 pm

You could get a cat toy that is even more enticing perhaps, a better distracting vice? I'd say keep your cables out of reach as well until the phase passes. Patch with the door closed.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 pm

For storage I use an old briefcase as well as cable holders, I also use a whole bunch of cable ties. These are the twisty gear ties you can pick up from Home Depot or here:

These are really sweet at patch management too so that I'm not reaching through the nest to play the knobs.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun May 24, 2020 9:41 pm

I'd get a flat & long case and modify that into a patch cable locker.

Depending on the max length of your cables something like a poker chip case, tool case, guitar case or gun case. All can be had quite cheaply. Remove or modify original innards and attach cable holder profile to the inside. Put upright next to your case when patching. Don't forget to put rubber bands over the profile to prevent the cables from falling out before closing the case.

Examples of some affordable guitar cases:

Perhaps not this one as your cat will probably love clawing the tweed.

P.s. Cable holder inspiration can be found here: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=150113

P.p.s. After knocking over a glass of drink and nearly frying my laptop in my home office/studio my cats aren't allowed to go in there any more. After a couple of weeks of sitting in front of a closed door they gave up trying to get in.
Gaun Yersel!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Excellent suggestion about the vertically opened free standing guitar cases, Voltcontrol!

If a lower thin aluminum panel is added, it can keep the cat from grabbing the danglies Make it with bent flanges so it can pivot partially -or fully- open to make dropping the lower ends of the cord into it more easily.. If you don't have metalworking skills and tools, just use a flat sheet of thin ply or metal and fasten hardware store angle to the sides and make two holes near the bottom. Then these can hold the pivot screws into the guitar case sides.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:38 pm

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 pm
You could get a cat toy that is even more enticing perhaps, a better distracting vice? I'd say keep your cables out of reach as well until the phase passes. Patch with the door closed.
He's not looking for parenting tips! Can't you read? There's other forums for that! Geezis!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Regarding the rejected "parenting tips" .... about 80% to 90% of problems with pets are actually problems with owners. You can go ahead, spend money on cases and other stop gaps. None of that is going to change a single thing. This is about behavioral modification. You can lock up your cables but that won't change anything when you're at your synth with the cables out. You already said he gets in your way (paraphrased) when playing ... that behavior won't stop by putting your cable in a case. If you learn to do some behavioral modification (the cat's and maybe even your own somewhat) you'll have more luck at dealing with his pranking you for attention. I'll leave the rest of the research to yourself. Y'know ... ~no parenting tips~ and all that ... yeeeaaaa ... so have fun!

Meanwhile, perhaps try placing a pillowcase over your hanging cables from the bottom up, and tying off the pillowcase at the top with a short length of string ... this will gather up the cables might make them ~no fun~ to bat around ... or at least less fun than an easier thing to fuss with to get your attention. Untie the string and set the pillowcase aside when playing. That might due until you do your research on changing feline behavior.

:)

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am

Ever come across a Cat Trainer? Yeah, I thought so.
Gaun Yersel!

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 pm

This may not work, depending on how determined your cat is, but I often just drape a bunch of longer cables around my neck while patching, and have a small pile of shorter ones on the table next to me. Easy access for you and hopefully out of the way of claws. You could keep surplus cables in a sealed container (but definitely not an open cardboard box) until you need them.

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am
Sure. Seen “My Cat from Hell”? Used to run on Animal Planet.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 am

you could try one of those anti-squirrel things they use on trees and bird feeders?

like a cheap aluminium pie plate, hung under the patch cables so the cat can't reach them?

although cats can jump pretty high....hmm. maybe string a plastic shower curtain around your cable hanger instead?

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 am

Pelsea wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:19 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
I hadn't. I've seen a picture of that trainer character now that you've mentioned the programme. I'll keep it at that.
Gaun Yersel!

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 am

sduck wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 pm
I'll suggest some medium sized plastic tupperware style storage boxes, with easily removable lids.
Did it. Ordered a 3-tier craft box with reconfigurable plastic partitions. $10--if it doesn't work it can hold adapters.

Thanks!

For now I've been using some empty takeout containers (like flat bowl kind), they work totally fine, he keeps out of them. He only really messes with the gear when I'm using it, he thinks I'm trying to instigate playtime when the cables start wiggling.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 am

Pelsea wrote:
For which -nearly- every problem ended up solved with a secure, wide view highest-point-in-room 'catperch'

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed May 27, 2020 8:41 am

KSS wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 am
Pelsea wrote:
For which -nearly- every problem ended up solved with a secure, wide view highest-point-in-room 'catperch'
Which is fine, as long as you pretend that it isn't intended for the cat, otherwise they'll have none of it, often :hihi:

Flexyflier
Common Wiggler

Post by Flexyflier » Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am

Just use a water bottle for watering plants.....when he grabs one give Him a little shot of water......he will soon learn...
"Drowning...................not waving!"

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 am
Pelsea wrote:
Voltcontrol wrote:
I hadn't. I've seen a picture of that trainer character now that you've mentioned the programme. I'll keep it at that.
Don't piss on Jackson Galaxy.
BandCamp Instagram
"peoples moist elbow cruxes, sodden with phlegm" - Joe.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

JayEm wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 am
Pelsea wrote:
Voltcontrol wrote:
Don't piss on Jackson Galaxy.
That sounds disgusting.
Gaun Yersel!

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Sounds to me like the cat is functioning as expected.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Jackson G sees the value of using a guitar case around cats. :sb: I still say go for the guitar case!

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm

I got some of those clothes hanger hooks that go over the top of a door. Keeps the cables up off the floor.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”