Did you abandon another instrument for Synth/modular/etc ?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:05 pm

I played guitar before getting into euro. Slowed down my playing for a few years. Got into Buchla. Still didn't play guitar much. Got a couple very nice amps and into pedals again. I barely touched the Buchla for about a year.

Now I touch both about the same. Guitar if it's not a long noise making session as I like it's immediacy. Buchla if I want to be less active and more in a listener role.

The key is to stop chasing the dragon that the joneses keep getting new ones. Once the novelty of the newness of stuff goes away, that's when I really started playing the synth and the guitar as an AI+me duo.

dirtydingusmagee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dirtydingusmagee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:02 pm

I too pretend that I am a guitar player.

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 am

I'm a "bandleader" on guitar and vocals which is a great counterpoint to modular, however, I used to go into my studio and crank out a demo or basic tracks once a week and was really prolific for a while till the modular obsession rook hold. My tape decks and recording studio stuff ihas been put on hold for a few years now.
:waah:

folpon
Common Wiggler

Post by folpon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

When I was about seven years old, Enrique Iglesias -- then a struggling wannabe -- offered to barter spanish guitar lessons in lieu of paying rent in the apartment building my mother and father were managing in Los Angeles. He gave me a dinky little classical guitar, which I loved from the start and played endlessly for years and years, and still have.

Sometime after college I was living in Chicago and a bandmate had to return home to New York to tend to his sick mother, and he left behind his small collection of Moogs. I had always eyed them from afar, but never felt confident enough to really explore them until I found myself alone with them -- resting quietly in my living room. I remember the first time I touched a key on the Prodigy and heard the beautiful sound that came out. I spent that whole summer tweaking knobs. Then one day he wrote me an email asking if I could ship all his belongings back to New York, because he was staying there for good.

I got into modular about six months ago or so. I don't really remember how or why. I found myself with a small 104hp make noise rack and I couldn't understand a thing. I didn't know you had to feed the oscillator pitch information -- I just turned the knob and heard the sound go upppppppp.... and downnnnnn... And it sat there.

One day I was doing a craigslist deal, buying some guitar pedals, and just as I was walking into the dealer's studio I noticed that someone was walking out of it -- a friend of my girlfriend's from college whom I had never known to be musical at all. But he was holding a set of TipTop rails with some modules in it! We discussed synthesis a little and one day he brought his modular over and showed me what Maths does. And something clicked. I suddenly 'got it' and felt that same hypnotic fascination I had experienced with my bandmate's Prodigy. And now I am expanding my rack, and am even building my first 208r (thanks roman! :))

So anyway... Sorry for the long post. But my answer is sort of no and sort of yes -- I wish I could focus more on synthesis, because I find it so exciting! But because it's so new, I can't leave behind my obligations to the funny little indie rock guitar bands I play for yet. For now I trundle on with guitar, but I am excited to bring my modular out and try new kinds of bands, making new kinds of music. :) :bananaguitar:

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 am

My guitars has gotten way less love recently because of my high maintenance modular system. We all have an open relationship deal, so it's no sweat really.

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 am

I finally sold my American Fender Fat Tele last year... I just wasn't playing it any more! Kinda sad about it, but only when it comes to mind which isn't that often, I always enjoyed hammering on and playing with effects parameters way more than the guitar itself so it was a natural progression...

I still have my bass and it comes out occasionally, I play it like a guitar though, chords, so not sure what that says.

Other instruments that are still around and I play regularly are various percussion instruments and didgeridoo - I find it very meditative and the rhythm of the circular breathing seems to do me good!

I've also lost interest in computer software as time has passed and the modular has grown, so much more fun working with signals directly!

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 am

Well I used to be a bass player.
I still remember when I told my bass playing we were going to the country. I left it standing on a train platform with a confused look on it's face. Carrying the bass guitar it had been played on in a threadbare, rusting case.
It kept turning around silently saying my name. Searching for a glimpse of me in the crowd.
But I was already back to my modular. Patching.

slowpilgrim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slowpilgrim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Drums, guitar... Nothing abandoned. This is a lifelong journey into sound, I don't feel particularly bad about not picking up those instruments anymore. I think the important thing it to keep following your interest and not look backwards too much. I've learned far more about sound and art through synthesis than I ever did jamming out new riffs.

Computer music and synthesis offer such a whole new level of possibilities that I think it's unfair to compare to conventional instruments. Having said that, I'd like to integrate my old instruments more into my current workflow. I can fully imagine myself doing a complete U-turn in about 20 years and rejecting all things electronic for only acoustic naturalness.

So it goes :)

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Did you abandon another instrument for Synth/modular/etc

Post by chaosick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:37 am

raj007 wrote:As I become more and more immersed into this synth world, I wondered how many of you came from another instrument initially and once you started playing with synths, be it a lone device, or modular...did you abandon that instrument? Either entirely or mostly?

I don't plan to give up guitar at this point, but I've hardly touched it since getting my Microbrute ...

Already drooling to expand haha.
I had already played guitar for 15 years before ever owning a synthesizer. Since then, I spend a lot more time on my modular, but it's partially because I've already logged at least 7000 hours on my guitar, so I'm "catching up" on other instruments, as far as I'm concerned. It still remains an integral part of my compositional process and recordings--almost all my songs are a blend of modular synth and guitar, now. Unlike almost every single person who has a guitar background and got into synths (as far as I can tell), I have always played ACOUSTIC guitar, and specifically, jazz and flamenco, being inspired by guys like Paco de Lucia and John McLaughlin from an early age, so there is approximate 0% overlap between my guitar playing and my electronics in terms of the immediate physical forms (e.g. no electronics, no amps, etc. with acoustic guitar), but there is a TON of overlap in terms of my overall thinking of dynamics, modulation (I think jazz and flamenco are both extremely "modular" music genres), etc.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 am

Savage wrote:No! The more the merrier! I started on piano at 10, went to acoustic and electric guitar, and added instruments from there. I seriously got into modular synthesis around 2005, but I've maintained practice on all of them since then. If you go by the general Hornbostel-Sachs classification of musical instruments, I play about twenty, and by specific classification about forty-something, and I have at least one of each. I played sitar forty years ago on someone else's instrument, and my wife gave me one for Christmas this year, so I've returned to it. Every instrument has something to offer, especially when I'm recording. So I try to stay practiced on all of them. Right now, I have a classical guitar, an electric guitar, a flute, a violin, and my sitar sitting out in my living room ready to grab for a bit of practice, and there are a dozen or so more (more guitars, banjo, dobro, steel guitar, hammer dulcimer, saxophone, clarinet, bass, etc.) in my music room along with my synth and keyboards. I spent almost all day yesterday on the modular, but I practiced electric guitar and violin at daybreak. (It helps to have a very understanding wife.) I typically play what I'm in the mood for or if I have some instruments in mind for a recording. It can be difficult and time-consuming to stay practiced on all of them, but it's worth it for the sounds in a recording. It also opens up opportunities for jam sessions in various musical genres, but I don't get out so much anymore.
Good on ya! Sounds like I would like to jam with you. I studied a little tabla a long time ago and still listen to a lot of Hindustani, and to a lesser extent, Carnatic music. They are among the deepest traditions on Earth, IMO.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 am

Jturbide wrote:I'm only 23 and my fretting wrist is already kinda fucked from skateboarding/hockey/martial arts... I'm currently waiting for my first modules to come and already see myself not playing much guitar from now on..
I feel pretty sad about it so I will try to play as much as I can for as long as I can but yeah..
Fellow guitarist and martial artist 10 years older than you: take good care of your joints, they only have more problems as you age :)
Good posture is essential, relax any muscles you don't use, learn acupressure/get acupuncture.
Keep doing both, they're life long pursuits.

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 pm

I stopped playing instruments in my first years with synths, but I don't recommend it. Consider it a teenage mistake (long time ago). Takes away from musicality when programming. Agree with the previous post, it's a lifelong pursuit.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Seriously?

This is a HIGHLY personal choice, saying it's a teenage mistake is erm... a teenage mistake!!!

:sadbanana:

I highly recommend making your own personal choices and ignoring vacuous statements like this hehe :cloud:

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Baddcr wrote:Seriously?

This is a HIGHLY personal choice, saying it's a teenage mistake is erm... a teenage mistake!!!

:sadbanana:

I highly recommend making your own personal choices and ignoring vacuous statements like this hehe :cloud:
*I* don't *recommend* it (but I'm not even remotely trying to dictate anyone) and consider MY temporary quitting MY teenage mistake. Please stop reading stuff into my message. Get the context.

But even if I had said that, voicing *your* opinion in a pretty unfriendly way diminishes the value of your criticism and throws it back unto yourself.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Huh... :despair:

I totally understood that, not sure why you think I'm being unfriendly, I was suggesting that thinking your teenage mistake was a teenage mistake and commenting on my own comment... sorry if it came across differently somehow!

:)

addendum
Common Wiggler

Post by addendum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Ah. Good you clarified that. These days I would properly refer to my current mistakes as midlife crisis mistakes, even if they were teenage-like ;-)

Seriously; I know some people think manual instrument skills tend to, but should not be allowed to bring preconceived notions into programming synths. That's fine, just not my opinion.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Cool :)

My assertion is that it is all valid, doubly so for the 'mistakes' ;)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”