Did you abandon another instrument for Synth/modular/etc ?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

raj007
Learning to Wiggle

Did you abandon another instrument for Synth/modular/etc ?

Post by raj007 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

As I become more and more immersed into this synth world, I wondered how many of you came from another instrument initially and once you started playing with synths, be it a lone device, or modular...did you abandon that instrument? Either entirely or mostly?

I don't plan to give up guitar at this point, but I've hardly touched it since getting my Microbrute ...

Already drooling to expand haha.

petersandbach
Wiggling with Experience

Post by petersandbach » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:00 pm

I don't play much guitar at all any more. Having said that my very first instrument was piano so at least I'm back to keyboards!

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm

I've really turned my back on software, VSTs, and even my MIDI synths...
.filthy bastards :twisted:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:37 pm

No. Still play guitar. But I've ditched a lot of the effects pedals because I can get the weird noises from synths.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Bought a real nice 2004 Telecaster 5 years ago right as I got heavily into analog synths/pedals. It was my first electric guitar and I was psyched. Have not played it but a handful of times. And my drums have been in the cases too! Pretty much abandonment. No regrets...
Last edited by thevegasnerve on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:53 pm

petersandbach wrote:I don't play much guitar at all any more. Having said that my very first instrument was piano so at least I'm back to keyboards!
This. Haha, full circle. Also have an electronic drum set in cardboard boxes since moving almost 2 years ago. That's mainly because I don't have anywhere to set it up.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:30 pm

No it goes in circles for me. Ill write guitar based music and have a 'real' band for a few years, get bored of being part of that 'scene', then Ill start making electronic stuff. When I get bored of that, back to the guitar, and the cycle starts all over.

raj007
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raj007 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 pm

When I was 15 years old (now 32), I saw Blink 182 as my first concert...and immediately wanted to learn bass/guitar. And I did. I felt something at that show, where just listening to the music wasn't enough...I wanted to play it, create it.

I went through a long hiatus w guitar (college, marriage, baby) but came back over a year ago and it's been amazing.

Last month, I got turned on to listen to Alessandro Cortini's Forse series--disclaimer, I was ignorant as to what synths could do, always pictured house/techno stuff--and those albums made me feel something I hadn't felt since I was that 15 year old kid. I bought a Microbrute pretty much immediately and have been reading/watching synth 24/7 since then.

When I sit to try and create, tweak, learn with synth, I am not thinking about "good" or "bad"...it feels so freeing ...not sure the last time I felt that way about guitar, if ever...

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 am

I strated on piano and still play it, in fact, I'm playing it more than my synths these days, that's probably got something to do with the fact that I don't have to spend ages patching and programming it.

Tronman
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Tronman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am

The only thing I've abandoned is most software VSTi. Still playing mostly guitar and some keyboards along with a smidgen of modular.
Last edited by Tronman on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetly Electronics - the one and only authentic Mellotron company: http://www.mellotronics.com/

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Another one who has found himself using less and less software (VSTs) and more modular. Modular just feels more "organic" and immediate

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 pm

If I owned a piano I would play it, and probably even use it to try out ideas from time to time, as the electronic setup just isn't yet as physically responsive. Otherwise no, the more I can make the studio like an instrument the better, everything else gets to be a distraction.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Went modular and completely left software. Was a MAX/MSP user before and never looked back. Computer is a glorified tape machine at this point
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

cheliosheart
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cheliosheart » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:29 pm

I was a guitar guy for 15+ years, but I never bothered trying to great with it - I might have been just interested in effects pedals. I was in a punk band in high school but later I got into drum machines intending just to have something to jam to. In parallel, I was learning DAWs/computer software. Then some time after I started to abandon software for hardware (Elektron machines) still with the intention of playing guitar against electronic music.

At some point I became more and more disinterested in guitar-centric music and got way more into synthesis. I went the modular route (Eurorack) almost immediately after I discovered what a vactrol is.

I've definitely abandoned 6-string guitars for sometime now. I did buy a tenor-baritone guitar last year, but I've become so obsessed with modular synths lately that I rarely mess around with it.
>IG< • >MG< • >BC<

Wendy Veen
Common Wiggler

Post by Wendy Veen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 am

I spent two years hammering into a Maschine prior to getting into modular, working on sample-based composition, one project in particular that almost killed me.

I kept trying to make it fun and it took me WAY to long to admit that it wasn't.

I got into modular about six months ago and have never looked back. In fact, I really all but abandoned Logic and VSTs, using it almost strictly as a recording bed.

I JUST got a Keystep last week, which has been my first foray into non-modular in a while.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Bass guitar was my main instrument for years.
I certainly play it less since I got into modular synths.
But tha might partly be due to just not being that interested in playing in bands anymore and not making music with my modular that I'd use a bass on.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I was a guitar player, but was always very untraditional and was at my best when I was creating layered recordings in a DAW. I would be spend a lot of time creating bizarre signal chains, bringing in an manipulating samples, etc. I then moved into Max MSP, which I still use for certain projects, but it was the modular that made me give up on guitar. I work on the modular every day, it has gotten to the point where, I am really efficient at using it for most things, probably because I just enjoy it and use it more. As a teenager I used to lie in bed thinking of different scales and excorcises on the guitar as I fell asleep, now I imagine different ways to patch things. I've said it before, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of discovering a way to recreate a module I've been lusting over with the components I already have.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I played the trumpet in school and I always loved the "lead" aspect of it and the technical playing style. I decided to play bass later, and I dropped it in favor of synths and never looked back.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Have definitely lost interest in guitar. What sucks is that I know I will never have the time or patience to ever become really decent at another instrument.

AMack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AMack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm lucky enough to be able to support myself with steady jobs in music performance and education, so by default I play drums and keys every day, and guitar most days. But I will say that since getting turned on to modular, my practice time has been split a lot differently and guitar has really taken a back seat. Making music is just so different in the modular environment and it really has me in that 'thrill of discovery' headspace on the regular! :sb:

Savage
Cogito Pro Mundus

Post by Savage » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:36 am

No! The more the merrier! I started on piano at 10, went to acoustic and electric guitar, and added instruments from there. I seriously got into modular synthesis around 2005, but I've maintained practice on all of them since then. If you go by the general Hornbostel-Sachs classification of musical instruments, I play about twenty, and by specific classification about forty-something, and I have at least one of each. I played sitar forty years ago on someone else's instrument, and my wife gave me one for Christmas this year, so I've returned to it. Every instrument has something to offer, especially when I'm recording. So I try to stay practiced on all of them. Right now, I have a classical guitar, an electric guitar, a flute, a violin, and my sitar sitting out in my living room ready to grab for a bit of practice, and there are a dozen or so more (more guitars, banjo, dobro, steel guitar, hammer dulcimer, saxophone, clarinet, bass, etc.) in my music room along with my synth and keyboards. I spent almost all day yesterday on the modular, but I practiced electric guitar and violin at daybreak. (It helps to have a very understanding wife.) I typically play what I'm in the mood for or if I have some instruments in mind for a recording. It can be difficult and time-consuming to stay practiced on all of them, but it's worth it for the sounds in a recording. It also opens up opportunities for jam sessions in various musical genres, but I don't get out so much anymore.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

curtisgodino
Learning to Wiggle

No but it is definitely taking up my time

Post by curtisgodino » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 pm

No, but since all my gear is in a studio now and not my house it is fun to keep my ms20 at home to fiddle with while i cant play other instruments. But I have found myself spending much more time with the snyth recently.

DubRules
Common Wiggler

Post by DubRules » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:56 pm

I still play guitar daily. That is one endeavour I will keep up until I die. Plus you cant really take the modular camping..

TAKNU
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TAKNU » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:02 am

DJ'd for a long time (turntables, cdj's), went digital once (traktor) but hated the laptop/pc attached. So back to mainly CDJ's.

Same happended for producing, went digital (hated it, frustrating, it sucked, terrible, stupid mouse, stupid screen) and used a lot of controllers. Ditched it for synths and modular stuff, never touched the laptop again!!
I even 'produce' way more than I DJ's nowadays, so much cooler to be the live Underworld guy than the David Guetta knob pressing fuck. :banana: (but I'll never leave my DJM :mrgreen: , although it is now coupled with my Soundcraft for the modular/drumcomputer/synth stuff)

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 pm

I keep pretending I'm a guitar player but have played about 3 hours in 4 years since being into synths.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”