When did you start with modulars?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ethnotronics
Wiggling with Experience

When did you start with modulars?

Post by ethnotronics » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:38 am

I got into modulars only recently, and was somewhat suprised how big this community is. Was wondering when you started into the modular world.
For me I'm into synths since, o damn, I forgot....
And into modulars since 2014.
I started because I wanted to mix and match oscillators and filters, and create more personalized instruments than prepatched synths. Also with the intention of designing and building my own modules. But I am going slowly here and I have not even built any DIY module yet. Thought I first need to undertand modulars a bit better.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: When did you start with modulars?

Post by sonicwarrior » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:33 am

Hmm, I thought we already had such a thread but couldn't find it.

I started in 2006 with some DIY 5U Curetronic modules. Got into Eurorack in 2007 AFAIR and started with an 'FX only' system. :hihi:

Edit: But I had a Clavia microModular before (1999 or so) and a Korg MS-10 (with a somewhat modular like patch panel) since 1992 which also was my first synthesizer.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

tetri5
Common Wiggler

Post by tetri5 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:21 pm

started in late 2014 with a pittsburgh modular system 10... im fuckin hooked, just need the money for more! Never owned a regular polysynth, not rlly interested at the moment.

Here's what im getting next, can't wait! http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/148294

Herman
Common Wiggler

Post by Herman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Started with modular around April of last year and in that short time it's expanded to over a 12u system already. It's addictive but fun and I'm more productive as a musician than I have been in a good while because of it so no regrets :yay:

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:37 pm

As long as I have been here.

EternalTurtle
Common Wiggler

Post by EternalTurtle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Hainbach wrote:As long as I have been here.
same

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ETP » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:44 pm

started making music (bass guitar) after watching a red hot chili peppers video 1992. bought my first synth (nord rack 2) around 2000. started modular 2013 i think..... now it´s more a modular sequencer than a synth :party:

taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:45 pm

about 14 years ago or so with an 18U doepfer system that i eventually sold for a nord modular.

then, i got the bug again 2 years ago because of the phonogene...

i sold that nord modular for a G2, but don't use the G2 much anymore, despite knowing what a great machine it is, simply because i don't like making sounds in front of a computer screen.

yawn_g
Common Wiggler

Post by yawn_g » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 pm

2014. Started electronic music and guitar when I was a teenager around 1990. Made music more serioulsy from 1999.

jenz
Voltage Controlled Corpse

Post by jenz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Into fixed architecture synths since 2001. Started to check the eurorack modular world in 2013 and started my rack in feb 2014...
My ears changed a lot since... I don't listen to music the same way... I feel like a kid when I have started playing drums in 1989...

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:51 pm

1999... with a Serge synthesizer I had access to and a first gen nord modular (if that counts, and I still use it).

I didn't even think I could afford my own system till euro started blowing up. I thought there were only the big-single manufacture systems (serge / buchla etc). Then last year when I had my own house I started my current system.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:03 pm

About 98-99'. I bought a stock Doepfer A-100p6 portable system (complete). Sold it, got into Frac for awhile, then 5U, then Euro, then......
Before buying the first Doepfer system I had some semi-modulars like a MS-20 and Roland 100m. It wasn't like it is now. To even see a modular was like catching a glimpse of a unicorn. It wasn't something you could just run out and buy willy nilly. We now live in the golden age of modular. Enjoy it while it lasts.

BrotherTheo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BrotherTheo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:07 pm

1976: Paia kits, then a friend with a Moog had the bad judgement to let me use it. Now I make my own, but I still build kits and do DIY. Some afflictions get in the blood and stay there.

--Brother THeo
Human, all too human...

www.circuitabbey.com

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:14 pm

reodjectz wrote:I didn't even think I could afford my own system till euro started blowing up. I thought there were only the big-single manufacture systems (serge / buchla etc). Then last year when I had my own house I started my current system.
Same story here. Have wanted a modular since I first found out about them, lusted after the System 100 and a 2600. Resigned myself to the fact that I'll never make enough money to buy one, even used. So I bought a couple analog synths to placate myself (SCI Pro–One and Arp Avatar), then got the opportunity to get a Korg MS-10 semi-modular.

That was the early 90s. Fast forward to 2011 and I discovered Doepfer and realized that through Eurorack, modular was affordable. Put together a system, was going to order a starter A-100 system with some extra modules on Saturday and that Friday was given bad financial news that completely scarpered that plan.

Fast forward to November of 2014 and my wife says that we're good financially and that I should maybe focus on the modular because we can finally do it. Gotta love that woman. So I decided on a pre-made system, all singing all dancing type of thing — and she talked me out of it. Told me the point of modular is to get the pieces I want and use the best of this manufacturer with the best of that manufacturer, etc. Over the course of that 5 mile walk, she completely convinced me to go 100% ala carte with my modules. And when I recently did a big freelance job, she made me order a Goike (which I was concerned about doing because of the price). Again, what a woman, I'm pretty fortunate to have tricked her into liking me.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:17 pm

2001 I bought my first synth (Doepfer A-100 Basic System). Went ip to 12U, then sold all of my studio to get out of a bad relationship.

Started building a modular again a bit more than a year ago.

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Bought a Mutable Instruments´ Volts in autumn 2013 because I knew I was going for a Braids. Got two Thomas Henry 555-VCO shortly after and a Turing Machine. Then it´s been several months until I continued achieving modules starting with Braids. Finally in September 2014 I initially turned on a working modular. So basically it took me about a year to get it going, researching quite a lot in between.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Nord Modular: 5 yrs ago?
Moogerfoogers and CV fun: 4 yrs ago?
Full blown modular Euro stylee: 2 yrs ago?

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 pm

got my first modular in 2009. it was a big, east coast themed Elektor Formant. wonderful sound but somewhat limited patchability. in 2011 it was Roland System 101 and 102, a semi modular.

finally i started working with euro system early 2014. first encounter with total flexibility and freedom. ive sold the Elektor since, got two cases of euro now and among other things it helped my System 100 came alive providing cv sources/utilities.

i also have nord modular since 2014 but i just didnt have time or willpower to deal with editors and computer for this after discovering euro. might have to give it a try one of these days. i really like that early VA sound.

ethnotronics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ethnotronics » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:27 pm

jenz wrote:Started to check the eurorack modular world in 2013 and started my rack in feb 2014...
My ears changed a lot since... I don't listen to music the same way...
Kind of feel the same... not only my tastes in music are changing, but also my goals in music making

ethnotronics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ethnotronics » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:29 pm

CF3 wrote:We now live in the golden age of modular. Enjoy it while it lasts.
so, you don't think modulars as we know them today are here to stay?

oliver69
Common Wiggler

Post by oliver69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:36 pm

When I purchased my old ms 20 in 07' - weren't enough holes to put all my patch leads in so guess I started to expand from there! 8-)

Polysix66
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polysix66 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 pm

I started off reeaaally slowly in late 2013. I wanted to have a big case and because they are so expensive I took the time to build a case myself. It took about a month to get my 12u 110hp case powered up. During the building process I bought my first five modules: richter osc II, uvcf, maths, vca matrix and ma mix. My system has been growing slowly and atm my case is half full. I think the best thing I did was I bought two big 110hp anodized aluminium blind plates, which I cut into smaller pieces and filled the empty spaces between modules. You know - because the holes are evil!

Pic:
Picture file

Skimmo
Common Wiggler

Post by Skimmo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:17 pm

My first modular was an ARP 2600 I bought in 1994 from an Englishman that sold synths in L.A I forget the name of his shop, but he would fax a list of synths and modules.

I was in the service overseas at the time, and I remember having to call him on the night shift to make the purchase, arrange shipping, etc.

I remember opening the box sometime after dinnertime on my day off. I looked up after some time and saw the morning sun coming through the window on the next day.

I've owned several "trophy synths" including an OSCar, a Jupiter 8, a MonoPoly, a Nord Lead when it was first released in the mid 90's, a MW2, even a Nord Modular. I can't remember them all, but the two modulars, the Arp 2600 and the MS 20 I recall vividly. The Nord Modular was fun, but it wasn't a modular, not by half.

Ish
Wiggling with Experience

Re: When did you start with modulars?

Post by Ish » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:26 pm

ethnotronics wrote:I got into modulars only recently, and was somewhat suprised how big this community is. Was wondering when you started into the modular world.
For me I'm into synths since, o damn, I forgot....
And into modulars since 2014.
I started because I wanted to mix and match oscillators and filters, and create more personalized instruments than prepatched synths. Also with the intention of designing and building my own modules. But I am going slowly here and I have not even built any DIY module yet. Thought I first need to undertand modulars a bit better.
Myself? I started with modulars when Clavia released the micro modular. At the time, I was well aware of modulars as a type of synth, but viewed them almost as this mythical thing entirely out of my price range. Yet, the micro gave an affordable entry into learning the basics (though who am I kidding, I mainly just patched X into Y and tried to get things that sounded pleasing).

I graduated to the Nord Modular Rack, continuing to call it my heart and soul, but eventually grew away from music in general. Along the way, I picked up a slew of cool hardwired gear (MS20, Juno 2, MS10, Mono/Poly, SH-101, Sequential Pro-1, etc), but never a full modular.

Fast forward nearly a decade since unofficially hanging up my studio, and I discover this amazing boutique modular universe. Euroracks were around in my time, but they were exclusively Doepfer. Imagine my surprise when a random Youtube video I stumbled across lead me to explore the current development market. Well, overnight, I threw myself into a goal that at one time seemed daft -- constructing a hardware modular.

To add insult to injury, I live in Portland (Oregon) where Muff Wiggler and Control Voltage are based (but have yet to visit either). Muff Wiggler, especially, is housed next to what used to be my neighborhood coffee stop just a few years back (I've moved neighborhoods, so their timing couldn't have been worse.. just kidding :) ).

The funny thing is, I found this community before ever realizing that 1) Muff Wiggler was **the** community for modular discussions and 2) they were based anywhere in my City, let alone State or even country!

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:36 pm

2000 - Got a demo of VAZ Modular in some magazine (FM or CM). Learned the basics from it, but didn't purchase it.

2003 - Bought a Nord Micromodular on clearance.

2004 - Bought Audiomulch when it was still in beta.

2005 - Started my first hardware modular, a dotcom entry level system.

2007 - Bought a Nord G2 on clearance.

2011 - Started an eurorack system.

2013 - Bought VAZ Modular :)

2014 - Upgraded Audiomulch to v2.x

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”