Patching the Ekdahl Polygamist

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Patching the Ekdahl Polygamist

Post by numan7 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:25 pm

:party: I have a Polygamist - my favorite recently-and-sadly-discontinued semi-modular synthesizer - and i honestly :love: how it sounds when it is patched and played in certain ways that I would like to share with other wigglers who were lucky enough to obtain one while they were still in production, and decided not to trade or sell it for something else (or managed to find someone who did)....

- Right now I have it set up under control of an Arp Odyssey. The Odyssey's rear-panel Gate and CV outputs are patched into the Polygamist's Master Gate and CV inputs. I'm finding that the Polygamist's VCOs track the same, as far as I can hear, across the range of the Odyssey's keyboard control (6 or 7 octaves).

- I'm patching the Odyssey's ADSR envelope output (my Odyssey has patch-points, as you can see below) into Polygamist's VCA2 amplitude mod input with the ADSR triggering set to LFO-repeat / KYBD-repeat (so that it creates rhythmic patterns when you hold down a key). I also have the Odyssey's final-VCA output patched into the Polygamist's VCF Mixer-1 ext/noise input.

- And I have been going back and forth between patching the Odyssey's sample/hold output into Polygamist's VCF cutoff-modulation and sub-pitch#2-mod inputs (as well as modulating the Odyssey's VCF cutoff w/cutoff at 0%, resonance at around 50% ADSR mod-amt at 75% and S/H mod-amt at 100%)... vs. patching the Polygamists sample/hold output into the same inputs (seeing how close I can get them to sound to one another, i suppose)... This is with the Odyssey's s/h output patched:

The sound is just lovely and massive -- both rhythmic and melodic -- these two synthesizers are just so superb together!!

And the Polygamist's Pitch-Multiplying Oscillator is truly special, especially with sample/hold modulating one of its sub-pitches -- [/i]I rather hope that Ekdahl releases that one as an independent module some day! :hail:

I'll try to upload some samples of what i'm describing one of these coming weeks (once i have a new recording computer set up)...

--

:goo: And so how are *you* patching your Ekdahl Polygamist?

:popcorn:

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

numan7

Post by numan7 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

:roll: A couple of more points to add to the above description (are):

- Polygamist's PMO sub-pitch#2 out is patched to its Tilt Oscillator's tilt-modulation input w/tilt set at ~45% and tilt-mod-amt at ~60%... It is barely dialed on VCF-mixer2 (balance between Triangle and Pulse is ~40%, and balance between mix 1 and mix 2 is ~20%); but it does add a nice layer of 'sizzle' to the overall timbre, I find. :flamey::bacon::flamey:

- Polygamist's LFO3 square-output is patched to LFO1's gate input... which adds links more control to LFO3's knob, which I set so the the Tilt Oscillator's pwm sounds decent (at ~40% pulse width and ~10% PW mod-amt, for example).

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

numan7

Post by numan7 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 pm

:deadbanana: a-and lastly (but not leastly):

- Polygamist PMO sub-pitch#1 out is patched into the Odyssey's VCF mixer (where it is being mixed with the Odyssey's sawtooth waves) - this way the s/h modulation is acting on the PMO partials as well as both cutoff frequencies of the Odyssey and Polygamist VCFs they are passing through... this sound is very deep and complex compared to only modulating one parameter with s/h.

cheers

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 pm

It does sound really good esp for how little it costs. Miss mine
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

rampy
Common Wiggler

Post by rampy » Sun May 11, 2014 8:55 pm

I was bummed to see that these went out of production...
Can't wait to hear yr demos.

Smokey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Smokey » Mon May 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for this post Numan7. I've had my Polygamist for exactly one week now and have spent a good 20 hours with it. The first dozen hours were spent just figuring out the normalized signal path, learning the VCA & repeating ADSR, and having fun with the ribbon controller. I got lost several times in some deep, deep drones. Very expressive!

I've hooked it up to the Analog Four and have spent the past weekend sequencing it and playing it from a MIDI keyboard. Wow! So much fun and so many amazing sounds! It tracks very well too. Inexpensive for such a high quality instrument. I'd really expect it to be the cost of a Serge panel.

I have no patching tips yet but I just ordered some stackables from AH that I am excited to try out on the Polygamist.

I'll try your patch suggestions. Thanks again!

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon May 12, 2014 7:19 pm

how about some vids!

AUDJAG666
Common Wiggler

Post by AUDJAG666 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:12 pm

barto
Gate night this Saturday. You can play w mine!

numan7

Post by numan7 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:37 am

:party: so did you get to try out AUDJAG666's Polygamist, barto (and if so, how did you have it patched, how'd it sound, etc)?

:hmm: i *might* make a video or two using the camera-mic audio for soundtrack (my recording interface, which i much prefer using, is down for the time being)... we'll see.

cheers

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:25 pm

in stock at AH and being made!!!!

numan7

Post by numan7 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:35 am

:party: more polygamists - hooray!!

:hmm: i've been thinking about using the pitch-multiplying oscillator in its lower ranges as a modulator for various functions in my modular system. maybe i'll post some examples of that, i come up with anything interesting, one of these weeks...

in the meantime, all are welcome to share their polygamous patch ideas!! :cat:

cheers

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:27 am

I had a first run Polygamist and I found that I couldn't totally patch it like I envisioned. At the time I had a small amount of Euro too, and, for example, I was hoping that I could run an LFO from the Polygamist to a filter in my Euro and essentially have the LFO not affecting the Polygamist. It didn't seem to work how I thought it would.
I absolutely miss the Polygamist and wish I could afford one of these last ones but I have moved forward with Serge and Modcan and thus am broke when it comes to gear money.

Helmey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Helmey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm one of the lucky last purveyors of the Polygamist so my playing time has been limited so far - I only picked it up from Sean on Tuesday - but I've been having a blast trying to tame the beast all week...I'm still getting used to the signal path. I've created standalone patches and patched into it with my Eurorack gear, but no MIDI control yet. I'll get to that eventually [kicking and screaming].

The sub oscillators are amazing and fun to patch as modulators, especially into the VCO1 Tilt and into the filter. The knobs have an interesting and very wide scale from low to high, it seems like they are exponential, and the audio rate goes from LFO to VCO very quickly. This means at the low end these VCO's have some ridiculously long cycle times and are awesome for very slow modulations and drones. At the high end, all the modulators can be used as oscillators for FM synthesis as well as for massive drones. I like to turn off one layer of the ribbon and play the other against the drone. The VCOs also make it fun to wiggle the knobs for glitchy results - it doesn't take much knob movement to hear a big difference.

It's also cool to patch the LFOs into the mixer and use the mixer volume for each channel to combine modulation sources into one destination. Riding each the two mixer channels independently creates a lot of variety in the output of the mixer and leads to interesting and unexpected results. The LFOs work together like the VCOs, and it takes some time to get used to. Fortunately there are plenty of LFO output patch points for distributing elsewhere, so things can get kinda crazy....

The Polygamist tracks and responds perfectly to any of my Eurorack gear that I've tried to connect, though I have only used it as a destination for the most relevant modules and not a source for adding to my Eurorack patches. I'm sure it will turn out to be a great addition to my 9U. It works great with my Metropolis, and the ribbon allows for patterns to be pitch shifted on the fly very easily. The Metropolis glide feature works great, and my slew module works great too. I'm going to try my PP&Brains and Frames next. I'm hoping Frames will help store some VCO voltages to make is easy to recall at least a part of a patch during a performance.

I love playing this thing more than any other instrument in my room full of fun electronic instruments! It was my biggest musical impulse buy ever; but I never expected to see them for sale and had to move quickly or be SOL forever. I'm not regretting it for a moment. The Polygamist is extremely unique in many ways, and will definitely be with me for a long time.

Thanks Karl for all your efforts to realize this amazing invention. I hope you will find a way to make more Polygamists to share with your fellow musicians and users of your gear - the world needs more. I'm sure the decision to halt production was a very difficult one; quality manufacturing in small quantities can be really not fun. And guys, if you see one for sale - especially if Karl produces more - just buy it. Don't think about it, just do whatever you have to do. You'll be very happy you did. And if you don't like it, let me know and I'll take it off your hands. :mrgreen:

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:24 am

This thing has an amazing phat analog sound. I've owned a lot of synths over the years and this is one of my absolute favorites for sure. Also, I'm loving the fact that it has many added functions (buffered mults, 3 LFOs, cv to midi, quantizer, etc, etc) it really does add alot to my smaller eurorack system.

I would like to join Helmey in saying thank you Karl Ekdahl for making such an inspiring and fun instrument :hail:

robbiemacman
Learning to Wiggle

Maybe selling Polygamist (220v version)

Post by robbiemacman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:46 pm

I 'maybe' selling my Polygamist for various non musical reasons.... As far as I know it is one of the only ones with a custom made 220v internal power supply that Karl at Knas built.... Message me if you are interested in maybe acquiring a beautiful instrument to make inspiring music with if I do sell.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”