Sequencer help.

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kendall Station
Wiggling with Experience

Sequencer help.

Post by Kendall Station » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm wondering why the outputs of my sequencer don't make any sound when plugged into my guitar!!!???

haha just kidding. happy new year right?

seriously though. I'm looking for a good step sequencer, my ideal would be something 3x8/16, been looking at dotcom stuff, but what I cant seem to find is something that could have a separate clock input for each row. also would like to be able to chain them and gate on/off switches or separate outputs are good.

I suppose I could even go for three independent 8 steppers, I run Frac, but could use synth.com etc...

any ideas?

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Sequencer help.

Post by ach_gott » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Kendall Station wrote:seriously though. I'm looking for a good step sequencer, my ideal would be something 3x8/16, been looking at dotcom stuff, but what I cant seem to find is something that could have a separate clock input for each row. also would like to be able to chain them and gate on/off switches or separate outputs are good.

I suppose I could even go for three independent 8 steppers, I run Frac, but could use synth.com etc...

any ideas?
Sounds like the m569 would fit the bill.

Kendall Station
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kendall Station » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:51 pm

oh dear now isn't that a pretty thing? I assume the 'shift inputs' work as external clock ins? one step shift per gate?

also how are these guys on delivery time etc?

this is very pretty.

but ouch on the price tag

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

yeah - you're after a feature which is quite rare in the analog sequencer world. As far as I know, the moon is the only one (?) - frustratingly I have one sitting right here, but the case/power hasn't arrived for it yet.

If the price depresses you, you might consider getting a couple of the cheaper ones....looks like you don't already have a eurorack, so there'd be a case to consider, but 2 a-155/154 combos would be quite powerful. Then again, you're approaching the price of the moon if you get a case.

Another approach to consider (though you lose the immediacy of the analog thing) is one of the midi step sequencers with a midi to cv interface. For instance, a Schrittmacher would serve this purpose very well...but 2 disclaimers - the price + interface is up there again, and technically it's the same clock for all of the rows, but you have tremendous flexibility in the way that the events are individually timed per sequence.

As I think out loud here (sorry) - I'd say that all in all, given your goal (a quite worthy one), you get there more directly with the Moon m569, and there are lots of supplementary modules that you can add to it as time goes by.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeuupp! The M569 will slit you up a treat! (in a good way! :tu:)

Moon has several demo videos on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/moonmodular

Here are a couple of my own videos that have one or more rows on my M569 running at different clock rates:

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

Of course, if you have a lot of space, for about the same price you could probably get three DotCom Q119s and the DotCom quantizer and you'd have a pretty fun setup also. It would of course have certain functional advantages and disadvantages compared to the Moon M569.

fireclown
Ultra Wiggler

Post by fireclown » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm

doepfer 155, 156, a divider and an analogue solutions SQ8.
Im really happy with the SQ8 I finally got my hands on.
It makes all the other sequencers dance through the transposition input on the 156. Big bang for the buck, just like the 155.

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ach_gott » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Kendall Station wrote:also how are these guys on delivery time etc?
Everyone else answered your other questions, so I'll answer the remaining. If you order from Noisebug (and if they're in stock), they ship next day.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:35 pm

ach_gott wrote:
Kendall Station wrote:also how are these guys on delivery time etc?
Everyone else answered your other questions, so I'll answer the remaining. If you order from Noisebug (and if they're in stock), they ship next day.
Whoops, I forgot to address this too. Yes, as ach_gott sez, if you are in the USA (or North America in general I guess) Noise Bug is MUCH faster than ordering direct from Moon. But, Moon really does a great job on direct order fulfillment, like approximately 3 weeks internationally over seas from when the order/payment is recieved. I think they used to never advertize stuff until it was in stock too but, I think they made an exception with the new quantizer since the competition was heating up in that area (regarding the new DotCom quantizer etc)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”