Color Coding of Knobs, Inputs and Outputs

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 am

AAG wrote:Have now spent hours trying to find where to buy panel nuts, but it seems impossible.
http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/?id_catego ... %3A2292%3B

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 am

:youkids: Silver and Black are colours!

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am

I just bung red ones on anything important, like filter cut off, orange for resonance, green for signal outputs, black for CV, this is so personal, but it's good like that, makes me remember things.
Last edited by mousegarden on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 pm

mousegarden wrote:I jus bung red ones on anything important, like filter cut off, orange for resonance, green for signal outputs, black for CV, this is so personal, but it's good like that, makes me remember things.
oh! can you post a pic of that? do you put it on your own diy-stuff or on commercial modules as well?

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:40 pm

moegl wrote:
mousegarden wrote:I jus bung red ones on anything important, like filter cut off, orange for resonance, green for signal outputs, black for CV, this is so personal, but it's good like that, makes me remember things.
oh! can you post a pic of that? do you put it on your own diy-stuff or on commercial modules as well?

:tu:

moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:25 pm

mousegarden wrote:
moegl wrote:
oh! the doepfers really shine when you give them some colors! nice work!

but, I thought the conversation had drifted towards jacks/sockets/panelnuts, so I was hoping for a full color coded eurosocket parade haha!
anyone experimented with this yet?

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:57 am

moegl wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
moegl wrote:
oh! the doepfers really shine when you give them some colors! nice work!

but, I thought the conversation had drifted towards jacks/sockets/panelnuts, so I was hoping for a full color coded eurosocket parade haha!
anyone experimented with this yet?

Those nuts look very sexy indeed...

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 am

The answer is simple. Go bananas! :nana:
(Sounds)--> :eek:

moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:57 am

BananaPlug wrote:The answer is simple. Go bananas! :nana:
I'm very intrigued by the bananas, but it looks like advanced diy to convert euro to banana.. nice work on the doepfer!

changing knobs and nuts are as much patience I have at this point. :)

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 am

looks like advanced diy to convert euro to banana..
It's increasingly difficult as things get smaller. I used to convert all my euro. I didn't have that much and the rest was banana. The last major one I did was Modcan dual delay.

Right now I'm putting together a row of euro and except for a couple old converted modules I'm just using adapters and cutting long banana cables in half and adding a mini.

Making up some of these.
(Sounds)--> :eek:

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm

The Modcan-A format uses this standard for the jacks:

Gray = signal input
White = control voltage input
Yellow = signal or CV output
Red = gate/trigger/logic/sync input or output
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:59 am

Having used a couple of different systems that utilise it, I've honestly never found the colour coding of inputs and outputs on modules that necessary.
Once you have spent a little bit of time with a module you know where and what everything is anyway and the colours become irrelevant.

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Color Coding of Knobs, Inputs and Outputs

Post by jeffb01 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread. I would like to color code my sockets (using bananuts). I was thinking the following:
All Outputs = Red
Audio / CV signal inputs = Yellow
Pitch (1v/Oct) input = Blue
Gates and Trigger inputs = Green

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. I understand that there are many cases where cv or audio will be going thru the 1v/octave input...

Thoughts? Yay or nay? issues? etc...

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 am

jeffb01 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 pm
I'm resurrecting this thread. I would like to color code my sockets (using bananuts). I was thinking the following:
All Outputs = Red

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. I understand that there are many cases where cv or audio will be going thru the 1v/octave input...

There's no reason not to. I did it to mine, color coded the knobs on both the 5U and Euro systems. You need to work out your own color coding that works for you. I don't bother with color coded patch cables, however .. I mean, who needs that hassle!!??
Attachments
100_0947.JPG
QX816A - Finalized knob colors and types - 1.jpg
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 am

jeffb01 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:51 pm
All Outputs = Red

Befaco uses Red for outputs. PAIA used red for CV outs. But both use Black for inputs. Black and red with white-silver is a classic look. For far more than synths.

Your overall look is going to be *mostly* red and yellow, with some blue and green bits here and there.

How does that look and feel to you? Patching for hours, days, weeks, years.

Suggest differentiating Gates from Trigs. Red for Trigs, Green for Gates.Edge sensing is red, level -and sometimes edge- sensing is green. To a color blind person these will look the same anyways! Quite a few color schemes already in use color Trigs red.

Having a special color for V/oct might work well. What color would you use for a jack where the knob fully open is v/oct, and otherwise variable? Is blue only for pure v/oct inputs? Or for v/oct outputs too?

Some years ago did a red white blue banana jack synth. White because inputs have no 'color'. Blue outputs -since 'color' was added -and i had far more blue jacks than red, and only wanted the three colors. Red trigs -for reasons already shared.

I can see how having a 4th color for pure V/oct might have made it easier to use. Would've broken the In/Out/Timing and RW & B overall plan.

One theme I've been developing for years across several projects uses resistor code colors to define module type. Mostly for Docs now, but was originally for a little synth with modules having colored side plates intended for young children. Grew out of the colored lids of Altoids mints and the old ARP educational tabletop modules.

Started with VCO-LFOs being red. But after seeing the look once a total system was put together, went back and changed VCO-LFOs to blue. Too much red didn't work for me. Didn't think far enough ahead. Was thinking linear from Case=black=0 to Power =Brown=1, then sound sources are next so Red of course!

Is not the same, is not coding for jacks. But shows why I brought up the overall look you'll have in your planned colors. If a sea of red and yellow floats your boat, go for it!

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:53 am
There's no reason not to. I did it to mine...[/quote]

very nice. Looks great.
KSS wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 am
Befaco uses Red for outputs. PAIA used red for CV outs. But both use Black for inputs. Black and red with white-silver is a classic look. For far more than synths.
That is a nice look, but not an option as my main components are black, and one of the reasons I'm doing this is to see where I need/what to patch to against black in my dimly lit studio...

and you bring up a lot of good points. I think more red and blue now, but I have to make some tough decisions. oh, boy.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 am

That's why I liked white inputs for the red, white and blue 'Flag' synth. Easy to see when patching in nearly any light.
Only yellow is better against a black background for human eyes. Yellow/black is highest color contrast for human eyes. Lime green is another high contrast color. Which is why both are seen in emergency vehicles and notifications.

Have a look at Modcan A format.

jeffb01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeffb01 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Okay. I did it. I ran out of red jacks so it's not totally done. I updated my color code to:
Outputs: Red
Inputs:
end stage (modulating a knob, etc): Blue
Thru input (input of a vca or attenuator, etc): Yellow
Pitch input: Purple
Gates, triggers, and clocks: Green

I'm not 100% committed to this code, but it will do for now. Pitch was the hardest to decide. I used it whenever it was labeled as such, but sometime it was a function generator that can be used as an osc, but I never will. So I will maybe change those down the road.

thoughts?

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 am

I came up with my own jack and knob color scheme for a Serge project. I didn't like Serge's scheme that had inputs and outputs the same color and tried (with limitations) to distinguish bipolar from unipolar signals.

https://pugix.com/synth/randomsource-4u-serge-project/
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:23 pm

I use color coding to mark the sections of quad modules. I put a spot* of brown, red, orange or yellow** paint on the appropriate knobs and occasionally next to jacks. Since I also use that color scheme to identify patch cords for each voice, I can put patches together quickly and seldom grab the wrong knob. I use acrylic paint, which is easy to remove.

*Not too neatly, I'm afraid.
**DIY 'ers will instantly recognize those colors.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by jorg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:03 am

6.4 Billion wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:42 pm
If your system is all Doepfer, you might consider replacing them with banana jacks. Will be more involved, but you might like them better.
That's bananas. Why would somebody want to eliminate shielding from all their patch cables, and also make their system incompatible with normal Euro? :doh: :deadbanana:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm

To make it more compatible with their Banana FRAC -or Bugbrand- system.

edit: Or 4U LW, CLee, Serge, RS, Nodcan, Fenix, Synton Kilpatrick or any other banana format. Euro is not the only thing going.

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:07 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm
To make it more compatible with their Banana FRAC -or Bugbrand- system.

edit: Or 4U LW, CLee, Serge, RS, Nodcan, Fenix, Synton Kilpatrick or any other banana format. Euro is not the only thing going.
Wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade the obsolete systems to use real shielded cables?

Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:11 pm

Bananuts from befaco?
----------------------

Flounderguts

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:57 pm

jorg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:07 pm
Wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade the obsolete systems to use real shielded cables?
No. Not at all. The first and largest reason is that "real shielded cables" are not nearly as "real" or available -or useful- as one might at first think.

As Graham Hinton has pointed out on numerous occasions, the supposed "shield" or "screen" is most often not shield at all! Our typical modular formats put signal 0v there instead. And that can -and does- lead to all kinds of problems when systems grow in size.

Problems that often don't exist in single wire patched systems.

As for upgrading the obsolete systems? I'd hardly call a Serge or Fenix -or any of the other formats I listed- "obsolete"! And I'd certainly change the jacks on a Doepfer before even considering doing those on a Serge.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”