Disting Feature Requests

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Re: Sample player “Songwriter Mode”

Post by drewfx1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Fugubot wrote:Please consider: songwriters often use a loop to start writing a new composition. If Disting sent a clock tick at the start of the loop each time it plays, then the tempo could be set by dividing that clock output. This would greatly help integrating the modular with composer needs. Drum loops that are set to 137 bpm would establish tempo simply by looping at normal speed and sending out a clock tick when the loop starts. Thanks for your consideration.
Doesn't the "triggers" setting already have this covered?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Indeed, exactly that feature is already there.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:47 pm

I want to do this...

So not sure if I can do it already... I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Shift Register only instead of quantizing to notes to tempo, I input the notes and having it quantize the notes pitch plus random looping octaves, which you can adjust the randomness similar to the way the shift register works.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I'd love to see Disting include a tracking generator similar to the ones found in the Oberheim Matrix-12 / Xpander synths. A simple one with one in, one out, and 5 control points. As you can see in this discussion, this simple and incredibly useful utility function isn't found in any commercially available Eurorack modules: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2985192#2985192

matcsat
Common Wiggler

Post by matcsat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi,
Videographics wrote:I'd love to see Disting include a tracking generator similar to the ones found in the Oberheim Matrix-12 / Xpander synths. A simple one with one in, one out, and 5 control points. As you can see in this discussion, this simple and incredibly useful utility function isn't found in any commercially available Eurorack modules: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2985192#2985192
i asked something similar recently:
matcsat wrote:is there a chances for an algorithm that emulate the Buchla 256e control voltage processor ?
The screen would be a bless for the breackpoint part of the operation.
The encoder and knob with pushbutton capability also fitt well with this purpouse.
The crossfader section is not important.

Here a quick explanation of the Buchla 256e.

And a video a little more detailed:[video][/video]
The answer was positive:
os wrote:...@matcsat It's certainly possible. Curious that the 256e has exactly the same screen LED layout as the disting!
I'd never heard of "tracking generator", but i immediately recognized its functionality, which i very much like, and having more than one control points is even better.

Is it right to think that a "tracking generator" is the same thing as a "transfer function" ?

Marco.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm

matcsat wrote:The answer was positive:
os wrote:...@matcsat It's certainly possible. Curious that the 256e has exactly the same screen LED layout as the disting!
I'd never heard of "tracking generator", but i immediately recognized its functionality, which i very much like, and having more than one control points is even better.
Great to hear os is open to the idea! AFAIK issue with the 256e is that it only has one adjustable breakpoint (for a total of 3 points) and everything is linear. Ideally, you'd have at least 4 or 5 points with some smoothing between them. (Frames can do lots of control points, with a choice of response curves for each one!)

I imagine a Disting implementation of a simple tracking generator would have 5 control points evenly spread across a specified range. The control points would be tied to fixed input voltages evenly divided across that range, and the resulting response curve would be smoothed somewhat.

Parameter 0 could control the effective input/output range: -5v to +5v, 0 to +5v, or 0 to 10v.
Parameters 1 through 5 could set the five control point output values in the range -32 to +32 ( min to max). The nominal default values for the control points could be -32, -16, 0, 16, and 32. You'd then tweak each control point up or down as needed to modify the output.

X could be signal in
Y cv in could control the level of the center point
Z could skew points 2, 3 and 4 toward points 1 or 5.*

A could be signal out
B could be an inverted signal out

*Alternate ideas for Z control or additional parameters:
• Control over the spread of control points 2 & 4.
• Control over the amount of response curve smoothing.

It might be too much to do this with 7 control points but, if you did, each point could have a value from -30 to +30 and the nominal default values for linear output would be -30, -20, -10, 0, 10, 20, and 30. (Very convenient.)
matcsat wrote:Is it right to think that a "tracking generator" is the same thing as a "transfer function" ?
I think of them as different. Tracking generators might ultimately use transfer functions to define their response curves, but I think of all tracking generators as having multiple controllable breakpoints. By comparison, you might have other modules that employ transfer functions to define simple curves with only two endpoints, or ones that employ complex transfer functions controlled in some way other than with control points across the voltage range; I'd call those something other than tracking generators.

matcsat
Common Wiggler

Post by matcsat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi,
Videographics wrote: I think of them as different. Tracking generators might ultimately use transfer functions to define their response curves, but I think of all tracking generators as having multiple controllable breakpoints. By comparison, you might have other modules that employ transfer functions to define simple curves with only two endpoints, or ones that employ complex transfer functions controlled in some way other than with control points across the voltage range; I'd call those something other than tracking generators.
Thanks for the answer.

A little OT:

Out of curiosity: the level scale in the DX7 is a tracking generator with only one breackpoint (like the 256e) or a transfer function of (from ?) the keyboard ?

Marco.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm

matcsat wrote:A little OT:
Sorry for the OT. (Trying to make it easier for os to add it.)
matcsat wrote:Out of curiosity: the level scale in the DX7 is a tracking generator with only one breackpoint (like the 256e) or a transfer function of (from ?) the keyboard ?
I would consider the DX-7 level scaling a tracking generator. It's limited because it only works on operator levels based on the note being played, and it has only one breakpoint with a level fixed at the center of the range. But the position of the breakpoint is adjustable, and you can control the levels of the other points along with the curvature on either side of the midpoint. It's pretty flexible. There's one for each operator, so you have six for every note. You could say a TX-816 technically has 768 tracking generators in the box, but that's getting silly.

BTW, Arturia put a beautiful implementation of a tracking generator into the DX-7 V softsynth as a 'modern' alternative to the original DX-7 level scaling with unlimited points and unlimited control over the position, level, and slope of every one. If you play some notes, it'll also show you how different notes are being affected by the different parts of each curve as you're configuring it:

matcsat
Common Wiggler

Post by matcsat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi,

thanks again, very informative.

(as OT i meant my question :) )

Marco.

Sr_Velasco
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sr_Velasco » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 am

Hi all,

I would like to suggest a little improve when controlling Disting mk4 via MIDI.

It would be nice if the display would focus automatically in the algorithm parameter when it receive his correspond MIDI CC (CC#1 to CC#6). Without the need of pressing Z button to search that parameter manually.

If this is not possible a new MIDI CC for the Z push button would be nice.

Cheers

merkury
Learning to Wiggle

Audio Feature Request

Post by merkury » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 am

I know there are already several audio algorithms, but one that is missing is this:

Z = Start Position
X = Retrigger
Y = Clock Input

The entire sample should still be fit inside the clocks, but the start position could be adjusted.

I have been trying to cut up / loop pieces of drum beats and this is something I decided is missing.

Let me know if it is possible and if you can make it happen I will gladly buy a second module!

Thanks!

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 am

I’d love to see Disting feature a Differentiator function as discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=2996011#2996011

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 am

I’d also love to see a time-compensated glide function — basically a low pass filter designed to work on control voltages as discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=2995998#2995998

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:31 pm

A basic pitch or frequency shifter would be nice.

foalma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foalma » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 am

I don't know whether it's already been requested but

Offset of the melody on F5 and F6 shift registers like in the quantizer modes, if possible +/- 24 semitones.
It would make it very handy for use over midi where transposition is impossible on some synths. at the moment I have a few synths stuck to C.

Would blow open the whole turing machine on anything that has midi idea I've been doing recently.

Thanks

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am

So a simple post-quantisation transpose for F6? And I guess just a voltage offset for F5?

foalma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by foalma » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 am

os wrote:So a simple post-quantisation transpose for F6? And I guess just a voltage offset for F5?
Exactly that, yes. Would be such an amazing addition, and I imagine pretty straight forward, seriously love your work Os and how much you listen to the community.

Cheers

dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler

Post by dragulasbruder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:39 am

pipe dream/highdea here:

I was very pleased to see the VC Logic processor mode introduced in 4.9--this is the tipping point to me joining the mk4 squad. A riff on this that I think some people might get a kick out of is a combination logic + clock divider mode.

X is Signal 1
Y is Signal 2
Z is Clock Division

P1 is logical operation, OR/XOR/AND and their inversions
P2 is divider set, EVEN, ODD, 2^x, PRIME, FIBONACCI?
P3-5 are comparison threshold/hysteresis for X and Y as in Logic mode.

A is divider out
B is either the inverse of A or the undivided logical operation -- maybe switching between these could be on P6?

I know I don't even have my hands on a mk4 yet but I bet this would be a really useful function for people to have around, especially those of us with very small systems.

Thanks for doing what y'all do!
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:44 am

Not quite clear on that mode would do. Is the output of the logical operation being treated as a clock, which is then divided?

Can you give examples of when that would be useful?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 am

Videographics wrote:I’d also love to see a time-compensated glide function — basically a low pass filter designed to work on control voltages as discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=2995998#2995998
As far as I can see this is exactly what the disting's Slew Rate Limiter algorithm offers (and has since mk1).

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm

hey os! this thread is deep - anyone asked for a wavetable look up distortion/shaper yet? (ala piston honda, geiger counter, etc) or did i miss it in some other mode? :hmm:

would be rad to have one of these and be able to load in our own wavetable selection.

Videographics
Common Wiggler

Post by Videographics » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:52 pm

os wrote:
Videographics wrote:I’d also love to see a time-compensated glide function — basically a low pass filter designed to work on control voltages as discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=2995998#2995998
As far as I can see this is exactly what the disting's Slew Rate Limiter algorithm offers (and has since mk1).
Ah yes, I’m aware B2 is a great slew limiter with a log out which effectively provides one form of time-compensated glide. What I’m interested in is a selection of different curves that would all be time-compensated. You would set the time between notes (not the rate) and then choose between linear and a range of other curves that would all take the same amount of time to get to the destination voltage but in different ways. B2 could simply be enhanced to offer these alternatives for the B output.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't *think* this is currently possible (I could be wrong), but I'd LOVE an algorithm that would allow knob recorder to output VC (like A1 can) but in a clocked/looped kind of way! So you could record a knob movement and have it loop over X amount of clock inputs or something.

What do you think? :)

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:59 am

depaffect wrote:I don't *think* this is currently possible (I could be wrong), but I'd LOVE an algorithm that would allow knob recorder to output VC (like A1 can) but in a clocked/looped kind of way! So you could record a knob movement and have it loop over X amount of clock inputs or something.

What do you think? :)
Sounds kind of like a step sequencer with a bit of slewing added. No?

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 am

Not really...

Return to “Expert Sleepers”