cheap USB/ADAT adaptor => ES-3 via USB

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:06 am

:party:

jmagin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jmagin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Just got one of these and it works perfectly with my ES-3/ES-6 combo. :banana:

dusk
Common Wiggler

Post by dusk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:52 am

tsunamisucks wrote:
tsunamisucks wrote:
jpenca wrote:has anyone tried / can confirm whether this works with an iPad?
got mine today, will try it with ipad and get back here, asap
btw works great
sorry to bring up an old thread.. but how did you connect the ipad directly to the ES-3?

I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck module.. I want to send as much data as I can to the synth, and control (synth)/sequence (drums) using ableton/push2. Should I grab an ES-3 or an FH-1? The added audio via ASDAT is cool, and if the ES-3 is the best option, then I'll grab this ADAT connector.

Or, if I get the appropriate midi-box and the FH-1, can I also use the SilentWays software inside ableton to control gates/lfos/etc?

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:00 am

dusk wrote:Or, if I get the appropriate midi-box and the FH-1, can I also use the SilentWays software inside ableton to control gates/lfos/etc?
No Fh-1 doesn't do Silentway.

jowo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jowo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey guys,

i just got my es-3 and my USBStreamer. I'm sending pitch and gate out via Reaktor. Its working fine but after a minute or so it starts to glitch. I then go into the Audio-MIDI-Settings (OS X 10.10.5) and choose ADAT Clock for the USBStreamer, it switches back to internal Clock and the glitches are gone, but come again after a minute or so. Any idea what I could do?

Apreciate your help,

Cheers

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:14 am

Are you using an Aggregate driver? If so, which device is the clock master?

jowo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jowo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 am

yeah, it's an aggregate device, however the same thing happened with only the USBStreamer. In the aggregate device I tried both as Clock Master (NI Komplete Audio 6 and USBStreamer). I tried it yesterday on my MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan and it didn't occur when I set the USBStreamer as Master and set Drift Correction on the Komplete Audio to on. I'm gonna test some more today and will post my results. Thanks for your reply Os.

jowo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jowo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:06 am

Seems to be a problem with Yosemite, but I couldn't figure it out yet. On my MacBook with El Capitan everything seems to work fine, USBStreamer Standalone and as aggregate Device with the Komplete Audio 6. My Workaround for now is to run the USBStreamer on my Macbook and Sync to my Studio Computer with Ableton Link, which works great. I might consider upgrading my Studio Computer to El Capitan, but I'm not too keen on changing a running system :confused:

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:01 am

I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks for writing about this jowo, and os for your feedback. I'm on a PC, so my "aggregator" is ASIO4ALL. If there are other options for this on the PC, please let me know. The closest I can get to this:
jowo wrote:when I set the USBStreamer as Master and set Drift Correction on the Komplete Audio to on
is to set the USBStreamer clock to ADAT. It basically has two choices, ADAT, or internal.

The glitches still come, even with the ADAT clock, after a few minutes. So for any serious work, I am still not able to use the ES-3 (or the ES-6 for that matter). For now, my fallback is to use my good ol' MIDI interface module.

If anyone is successfully using the USBStreamer on a PC with ASIO4ALL, please comment. What are your settings in the USBStreamer?

(By the way, my audio interface is Saffire Pro 14, Firewire. Only "sync source" options are internal or SPDIF.)

jowo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jowo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 am

By now I'm assuming its a clocking problem when using as an aggregate device. however, I have just found a new workaround, which seems to work fine, but I'm gonna test for a while now. I run Reaktor 6 Standalone with USBStreamer as Interface and alongside Ableton Live with Komplete Audio 6 as Interface. I'm sending MIDI Clock via Reaktor Virtual MIDI from Ableton to Reaktor (not sure how to set this up on Windows). I'm offsetting the MIDI Clock by my overall latency and getting tight timing.

cheers

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

jowo wrote:By now I'm assuming its a clocking problem when using as an aggregate device.
I agree, aggregate device means disparate clocks that may fall out of sync (if not synced by a master clock)
I'm offsetting the MIDI Clock by my overall latency and getting tight timing.
How are you doing that jowo? My DAW is Bitwig. I can offset the MIDI clock by adjusting latency when I output MIDI to an external HW instrument. But Silent Way uses ADAT outputs and I don't yet know if there is a similar adjustment or compensation that can be made.

jowo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jowo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:04 am

How are you doing that jowo? My DAW is Bitwig. I can offset the MIDI clock by adjusting latency when I output MIDI to an external HW instrument. But Silent Way uses ADAT outputs and I don't yet know if there is a similar adjustment or compensation that can be made.
I'm offsetting the MIDI Clock which is sent to Reaktor 6 Standalone. Not sure how to do this with Silent Way, as it runs as a Plugin in your DAW. In Ableton there is such a thing called 'External Audio Effect' where you can compensate latency, maybe there is something similar in Bitwig?

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks jowo. I plan to do some experimenting this weekend.

Bitwig has a device called Hardware FX, which sounds similar to Live's External Audio Effect. And, it has latency adjustment. I will try that first. Also, my "aggregator", in the PC, is ASIO4ALL. It has a few adjustments I will try as well. This can't be this hard, I think I'm just missing something fundamental here.

Thanks again for this helpful discussion!

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:06 am

Hi jowo, just wanted to throw out this update. I made good progress this weekend with the latency settings. It's not foolproof yet, but a lot closer.

I updated the driver for the USB Streamer, and have it set to standard latency and auto buffers. Saffire Pro is set to short latency and buffers at 256. Since I'm on a PC, I'm using ASIO4ALL as the aggregator. Saffire and Streamer are both set to 256 in ASIO4ALL, no latency compensation for either, and 4 kernel buffers for the Streamer.

In Bitwig, I'm now using the HW FX device for outputting to the modular, with latency set to either 2.67ms(128) or 4.00ms(192). That last setting is the "not foolproof yet". Most of the time, latency at 128 is working fine, but if the occasional crackle happens, I am trying bumping it to 192.

Thanks again for all your help. By the way, did you say you are adjusting latency in Reaktor or in Live? If in Live with the External Audio Effect, what setting are you able to achieve?

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:26 am

Where can I get one of these in the UK?
Thanks!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 am

I doubt you can. You can order direct from minidsp.com

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 am

OK that's great, thanks OS

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:17 am

Just received a Streamer Box.
Works perfectly with my macbook/ES-3 but...I do music with my PC!

Win7 doesn't recognize my USB Streamer...
never had a single pb with win 7, but this time, I can't figure it out. Did several installations... what's going on? :bang:

Anyone can help?
I e-mailed MiniDsp service and will let you know. Maybe it will help some :)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 am

Windows doesn't support USB 2.0 class compliant audio devices. You'll have to install a driver, if there is one.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:22 am

There is one driver but still... :help: :ripbanana:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:16 am

For those who have a pb with Windows....

YOU HAVE TO DISABLE DRIVER SIGNING CHECK!!!

Here is! Now your UsbStreamer B will appear...

You're welcome! :guinness: :party:

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Hi everyone, first post. Tried to start a new thread but I don't have a high enough post count, so here we are. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having.

I recently purchased an ES-3 and USBStreamer. I noticed that I was getting weird CV output from the ES-3 via the USBStreamer and silent way, so I tried sending a regular audio drum loop from my DAW to ES-3 and out to my mixer to see if that was working. The mixer output sounds like really harsh static, although I can faintly hear the drum loop underneath.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the USBStreamer, the ES-3, my DAW or what, and I don't really know how to troubleshoot either since I don't have any other ADAT equipment. Any ideas?

resynthesize
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resynthesize » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Despite spending a solid hour screwing with this before posting, I of course figured out the issue 10 minutes after I finally posted. The ADAT optical link cable was a bit loose on the USBStreamer. It doesn't seem to lock in place very firmly on either end, but I jammed it in harder and now everything appears to be working perfectly!

For future reference, I'm aggregating the USBStreamer with an Apogee Duet 2 on a mac. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using the Duet as the clock source for the aggregate device.

On the plus side, I have 2 posts now, so I can start new threads, woo!

sagetone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sagetone » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Congrats on 2 posts resynthesize! :)

I was getting ready to respond and then read your second post. So good job on finding the problem. I was going to ask what were all of your settings in the miniDSP control panel, and then start from there.

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 pm

i hope its within rules to spam my brand new unused miniDSP unit here.. i decided to go ES-8 route, so..

it was never connected, used or anything. just like it came from Hong Kong.

viewtopic.php?p=1852977#1852977

thanks

best regards
Tom

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

Return to “Expert Sleepers”