ardour/linux uses..usb interface options

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

ardour/linux uses..usb interface options

Post by vmgas » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:23 pm

currently have a cheap usb interface..looking to upgrade. suggestions? it seems like the options are a bit limited for interfaces on the linux front but i'm staying with linux and im a big supporter of ardour

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:31 pm

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_support

theres also a wiki page floating around somewhere that has a list of all tested audio interfaces and which drivers they work under but I am not seeing it atm

wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Post by wyrtti » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for that link! It eas enlightening!
Eschew obfuscation!

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 am

thanks for the link but i was also interested in some wigglers preferences on thier interfaces

widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by widdly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm currently using a Delta1010lt in my linux machine. It's a PCI card with 10 in/out. I run it with 2 x 64 sample buffers. The spdif doesn't work in the latest ALSA.

I've also used...

Behringer uca202. Works flawlessly with fairly low latency

Emagic 62m. I had to modify the source and rebuild ALSA to get this working. If you don't mind a but a work it is a cheap option since they are no longer supported in windows so they come up cheap second hand.

Presonus FireStudio works with very small buffers, but don't get one of these, there is a hardware that causes the firewire controller get fried very easily. It totally put me off Presonus.

Creative SBlive! - works nicely. There are some good utilities for patching, dsp and soundfonts but they are mostly not maintained anymore so you might need to do a bit of hacking and reading up to get all the extras.

I'm running fedora 18 with the planetccrma kernel.

Zealot Vague
Common Wiggler

Post by Zealot Vague » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm

I used a Roland UA25EX on a Ubuntu system for two years or so without any problems and I still use it with my laptop (which runs Arch) as a portable recording setup. Likely out of production by now but should be pretty cheap used.

igormpc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by igormpc » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 pm

my apogee one works ok with ubuntu... :tu:

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 am

I have an m-audio pro USB and it works but apparently it only has 12-bit resolution , not exactly what I was hoping for. Also when I do up sampling in PD I get some strange errors (such as midi having a large latency even though the CPU is not being overworked.). Other than that it was pretty cheap second hand for 2 in 4 out over USB so I'm happy enough.

Return to “Music Software”