Mac OS 9

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Mac OS 9

Post by rkiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 pm

I recently purchased a ye old i book mac.
It's a G3 (Clamshell) running 9.2 I think.
I was looking for anything cool weird wild or music creating.

I found super colder a visual synth programer? I believe.
http://www.audiosynth.com/

I also found this create website and tools.
https://lowendmac.com/2006/free-and-low ... erpc-macs/

What tools do you use?
Whats cool to do with old mac's?
Anything I should beware of?

Many thanks.
rkiwi.
RKiwi making music since I can't recall.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm

lots of great stuff.... lots of wonderful stuff onn 68k/ppc!

i saw john wiese play a show in 2007? he was still using a mac running os 9 at the center of his setup (i think max/msp but no idea tbh).

aphex twin famously used metasynth on windowlicker and that program is an absolute trip.

there are tons of max msp programs & synths that only work on os 9 and older and thus have been forgotten but are still archived somewhere

tons of stuff out there but if you look hard enough you will continue to find more classic mac music tools than i could ever remember....

you'll need oms if you ever want to do anything midi based with it ;)

flippantminister
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Post by flippantminister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 pm

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1246-thonk_0-2

Loved this program. took forever to render the file and who knows if it's worth a shit once you do, but it was so much fun. I'd start it running before i went to bed and check out the results the next morning.

Several other weird Max patches i got a lot of use out of back in the late 90s. I'm sure there's still a lot of cool stuff out there for it. If i had more time & more patience I'd set up my own OS9 machine.

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:29 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:lots of great stuff.... lots of wonderful stuff onn 68k/ppc!

i saw john wiese play a show in 2007? he was still using a mac running os 9 at the center of his setup (i think max/msp but no idea tbh).

aphex twin famously used metasynth on windowlicker and that program is an absolute trip.

there are tons of max msp programs & synths that only work on os 9 and older and thus have been forgotten but are still archived somewhere

tons of stuff out there but if you look hard enough you will continue to find more classic mac music tools than i could ever remember....

you'll need oms if you ever want to do anything midi based with it ;)
yeah theres allot thats possible from what I herd theres even a mini display port so HDMI / projectors and allsorts.
I havent herd of metasyth or windowlicker. and what is an oms?

and yes theres tons but i dont know where to start so I thought id start here to see what people dig up.
:banana:
flippantminister wrote:https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1246-thonk_0-2

Loved this program. took forever to render the file and who knows if it's worth a shit once you do, but it was so much fun. I'd start it running before i went to bed and check out the results the next morning.

Several other weird Max patches i got a lot of use out of back in the late 90s. I'm sure there's still a lot of cool stuff out there for it. If i had more time & more patience I'd set up my own OS9 machine.
OS9 is legit amazing would recommend but quite a bit of time tbh (To Be Honest) I am setting aside a good 4 weeks.
I might make master post once i get more comfortable with the OS and etc.
thanks for the link :nana:

flippantminister
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Post by flippantminister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 pm

rkiwi wrote:OS9 is legit amazing would recommend but quite a bit of time tbh (To Be Honest) I am setting aside a good 4 weeks.
Yeah time is the thing I'm short on these days... wish I had realized how valuable it was back in my 20s :hihi:

watching this thread, I'll be curious to see what you come up with!

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 pm

flippantminister wrote:
Yeah time is the thing I'm short on these days... wish I had realized how valuable it was back in my 20s :hihi:
:sadbanana: :deadbanana: :bananaguitar: :deadbanana: :nana: :ripbanana: :deadbanana: :sadbanana:
>Wake Up, Catches on Fire, Rockout, Catches on Fire,Rock On, Sleep,Catches on Fire, Repeat

Im 25 now sadly long story short I have a bit of time and I know how valuable it is.

also I don't know if I will update this post as much but I am new here I don't know the rules about editing old posts yet just using this to research to start with.
EG within 7 days no more edits and locks you out?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 pm

I still have an OS9 machine just to run some editors and other assorted apps like Passport Alchemy

Definitely register here:

http://www.macos9lives.com/smforum/

They have pretty much everything you could want music wise.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:01 am

Macintosh Garden is another good source for software, although it's a bit of a mess.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am

Gibson released Opcode StudioVision free before they pulled the plug on Opcode down as a company.

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 am

CF3 wrote:I still have an OS9 machine just to run some editors and other assorted apps like Passport Alchemy

Definitely register here:

http://www.macos9lives.com/smforum/

They have pretty much everything you could want music wise.
commodorejohn wrote:Macintosh Garden is another good source for software, although it's a bit of a mess.
I found both of those websites in my research it seems quite nice. still need to dig around them as their one of those this might take awhile :woah: :woah:
ndkent wrote:Gibson released Opcode StudioVision free before they pulled the plug on Opcode down as a company.
>2004
I don't remember this but software as I am a 94 baby but thats weird they pulled the plug on it when a few years latter apple made garage band and all those good goodies of os x and now more.

OMN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OMN » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Some Curtis Roads sofware such as Cloud Generator, Pulsar Synthesis should be available only on OS9, but no idea how to find them now..

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm

OS 9 was the Golden Apple. Back then using a computer was actually fun..

I still remember the shock when I used OS X for the first time, and seeing my own fucking computer tell me "you do not have permission to do this"

It' s only gotten worse since.

Rot in Hell, Jobs.

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Curtis Roads' software is available here:
https://www.curtisroads.net/software

Thonk is great fun.

As is Soundhack by Tom Erbe:
http://www.soundhack.com/freeware/the-boneyard/

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:19 pm

OMN wrote:Some Curtis Roads sofware such as Cloud Generator, Pulsar Synthesis should be available only on OS9, but no idea how to find them now..
I did see a cloud generator not sure about it...ah yes its been linked now
Be Sandy? wrote:Curtis Roads' software is available here:
https://www.curtisroads.net/software

Thonk is great fun.

As is Soundhack by Tom Erbe:
http://www.soundhack.com/freeware/the-boneyard/
Panason wrote:OS 9 was the Golden Apple. Back then using a computer was actually fun..

I still remember the shock when I used OS X for the first time, and seeing my own fucking computer tell me "you do not have permission to do this"

It' s only gotten worse since.

Rot in Hell, Jobs.
I only used OS 9 for such a small time in my memory I remember more of OS X but I must say its interesting how close OS9 is to macOS Catalina: 10.15

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:10 am

Well not really because OS X is based on BSD/ Unix which is fundamentally designed for networks and so we have this constant security theater situation ...

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 am

I have an iMac G3 running 9.2. I haven't used it much for music production though, outside running an old version of Reason. If anything, I use it for games.

I do like the aesthetics of the GUI, it has a certain charm to it. I wouldn't use it as my day to day OS though, it can't even do proper multitasking!

OSX is vastly superior to it, but I wish I could theme it...

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 pm

I have a powerbook G4, runs like a champ still. I use it occasionally, running
adobe cs, protools, reason etc... It's the only thing keeping my mbox2 from
going in the trash bin...

Runs OSX Tiger and OS9 actually...

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:02 am

I've also been back on OS9 recently (old sampler!), both on my Pismo and via Sheepshaver emulation.

Some things I miss (collapsable windows, small apps) but I'm not sure I'd want to go back full time.

For anyone who has done it, is it worth installing QEMU for 9.2.2. (Sheepshaver only goes to 9.0.4.)? QEMU seems like a more difficult install and doesn't have a convenient exchange folder between old and new worlds.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

9.2.2 is nice, but hardly necessary. No major feature updates, just miscellaneous fixes.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 am

Panason wrote:It' s only gotten worse since.

Rot in Hell, Jobs.
+1

It was often said that Bill Gates contribution to 20th century personal computing was to lower user expectations. Jobs did the same for the 21st century. People who genuinely "think different" don't have to be told to do so by someone who doesn't.

Users have been so easily fooled by eye candy that they don't realise what has been taken away.

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:23 am

http://laut8leise.de/_vst-mac/list_vst_9.html

i always preferred the os9 versions of these:
http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

+ the original GRM tools
+ NI-SPEKTRAL DELAY
+ original Pluggo
+ Bias Peak

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Panason wrote:Well not really because OS X is based on BSD/ Unix which is fundamentally designed for networks and so we have this constant security theater situation ...
Ironically it's one of the few OSes that is the closest we can get to a modern Unix, to the point it can natively compile cross-platform Unix applications without issue. Not even Linux can do that. There has been so many UI/UX improvements with it over the years, especially with its built in automation, that I exclusively use it at work. It's still shit in file management and 3D applications though, and I don't see the benefit of it when it comes to audio/video applications.

I hate how limited and borked their computers are too. I can't upgrade RAM anymore? Fuck off! Main reason why I do all my music work on my custom PC at home - sheer CPU grunt and loads of RAM.

OS9 in comparison can't even multitask properly. It was never very reliable either. It may look nice, and I have fond memories of it, but it's not... a good OS. The fact it took OSX to give it proper multitasking is embarrassing. Amiga OS/Workbench could do full multitasking back in 1985!

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Navs wrote: For anyone who has done it, is it worth installing QEMU for 9.2.2. (Sheepshaver only goes to 9.0.4.)? QEMU seems like a more difficult install and doesn't have a convenient exchange folder between old and new worlds.
Not really unless you HAVE to have OS 9.1 or 9.2. Depends on what you plan on using it for too, they both function about the same. I spent the time getting both setup for Sound Diver/Sampler use but nope, neither one can pass USB through last I tried. Games are usually pretty good though. VirtualBox does USB and everything else connected to my Mac, but no Mac OS unfortunately, so WinXP for SD still here..

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:54 am

Thanks commodorejohn and Monotremata. You've saved me some grief, I think :)

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 am

I have a couple of OS9 machines around just to keep my Korg OASYS-PCI cards running. I run them using VNC from my main edit computer (a PC).

OT, I also have a Motorola Mac-Mini on OS X connected just to keep my Varios running, connected the same way.

And an Atari ST emulator for Dr. T’s KCS.

Antique computing.

Return to “Music Software”