Classic software lost to the ether of new computing

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Any update on this?

gruebleengourd wrote:
dpcoffin wrote: I'm assuming that it wouldn't take much in the way of a Windows-running processor to be a dedicated MIDI source for my existing Mac-based Universe, running pretty much only your new version, something like a very low-end but modern PC laptop, maybe?
Thanks!
I am aiming for a beta release, surely before the end of the year, hopefully a good deal sooner. All the basics are there now, refining some GUI and building up a few more environments.

About the power requirements... I have not gone 'lite' with the design. I've tried to make everything as real time as possible and it's actually pretty hungry for threads. I'd recommend at least a 4 core processor and an nvidia gpu (both for the graphics and for compute). The gpu is not essential for just midi, but the program does far more than that.

Pretty much I've taken as a base KCS and extended it in every way I could, while allowing one to use it in the same fashion as KCS.

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 pm

Retro AS-1.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Oldstench
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Oldstench » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:48 pm

I was an early adopter of Seer Systems Reality. It was a PITA to get running, a PITA to use with Cubase, and a PITA to program, but had some amazing features for the time.

You could do FM with samples, it had physical modelling, multiple crazy filter topologies, etc.

For the time it was incredible.
Humanity has doomed itself.

lyfordrome
1-Post Wiggler

pluggo and 32 lives

Post by lyfordrome » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:01 am

PLUGGO!!!!!

I finally got them up and running again on OS 10.12.6 in Logic Pro X using 32 Lives - !!!! PLUGGO LIVES! (unless you upgrade to Mojave...) :bang:

https://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives/

Kapybara
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Classic software lost to the ether of new computing

Post by Kapybara » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 pm

I really miss a unique little piece of Mac software called "b1257+12". I still keep an old OS9 machine around just so I can run it. If you're out there Netochka Nezvanova, please code a modern version!

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:43 pm

Audio Ease Riverrun. A great and simple granular sampler.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Kapybara wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:26 pm
I really miss a unique little piece of Mac software called "b1257+12". I still keep an old OS9 machine around just so I can run it. If you're out there Netochka Nezvanova, please code a modern version!
It says that was made in max/msp, so it shouldn't be too tricky to update, right?

I vaguely remember it, and here's some info I found on google: https://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia ... anova.html

LDS
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LDS » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 am

I still have an old G4 kicking around to run Turbosynth. Such a great program! I have heard a lot about Digidesign Softsynth, but never found an installer to give it a try.

Art
Common Wiggler

Post by Art » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 am

JES wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:43 pm
Audio Ease Riverrun. A great and simple granular sampler.
Really miss this. I still hang on to the old Powerbook just to run this one!

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am

Spectrum 2; a software emulation of the Norton Lactronic. :eek:

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 am

Digidesign Softsynth is a great but really ancient piece of software. It was supplied on floppies that require a old style 400k/800k floppy drive on the old powermacs or Mac classics. More modern Macs cannot even read those floppies. Digidesign also issued an Atari ST version of this software and indeed I keep a couple of old Ataris to run Softsynth, Steinberg Avalon, Dr T KCS and Dr T Tunesmith. Worth keeping an Atari just for those 4.

LDS wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 am
I still have an old G4 kicking around to run Turbosynth. Such a great program! I have heard a lot about Digidesign Softsynth, but never found an installer to give it a try.

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm

Kapybara wrote:
Any chance you could share that?

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:53 am

I just installed Cakewalk Kinetic (2004) in my new laptop. It works wonderfully. I might also install Sonar and use it for MIDI sequencing, but I haven't decided which version. I have 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7. I think I'll go with 2.2, which was very stable and fast. I don't really need or want any fancy features.

I also plan to install Audiomulch, VAZ Modular and VAZ+. Both Mulch and VAZ Mod were first released in 1998 and stopped being updated years ago. The VAZ website is gone.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:13 pm

I recently started putting together a list of older software I used to use.
Some are out there and will not be easy to find again and any archives I have are in deep storage.

Cellular Automata
Phonogramme
ThOnk
Lemur
Sound Effects
Soundhack
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Corrupt wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Kapybara wrote:
oh yeah, this was fun. I remember all the chaos they used to on the Max list.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Not an old program but fuck it’s annoying,

I had an HD fail in my ‘09 MacBook Pro, and I lost my Adobe CS apps, it took me forever to hijack them fuckers.
And now I cant find them anywhere...
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 pm

I have my Atari 1040 STE and I would kill for a copy of Cubase and a dongle.. I miss what Atari Cubase could do for midi... I want to set it up as a master sequencer for my system!

Also I miss Recycle.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by SynthBaron » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 am

chaocrator wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 am
At least the ancient Mac version is posted here:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/bitheadz-unity-ds-1

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 am

Corrupt wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Kapybara wrote:
I shared mine with fellow wiggler CJ miller, since I couldn't use it with osx. seriously. And now he's gone.

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:19 pm

A few things I miss.

Korg Oasys PCI - Wish there were current drivers and software for them. You can still find PCs with PCI slots so that's not a problem.
M and Cube Base - Use to run those on an Atari 1040. Not a Mac person so not going there.
Cool Edit Pro

peh
Common Wiggler

Post by peh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 am

Soundraider

American Thighs
BringYourOwnAutoplayRule

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by gruebleengourd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:57 pm

seychmar wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 pm
Any update on this?

gruebleengourd wrote:
dpcoffin wrote: I'm assuming that it wouldn't take much in the way of a Windows-running processor to be a dedicated MIDI source for my existing Mac-based Universe, running pretty much only your new version, something like a very low-end but modern PC laptop, maybe?
Thanks!
I am aiming for a beta release, surely before the end of the year, hopefully a good deal sooner. All the basics are there now, refining some GUI and building up a few more environments.

About the power requirements... I have not gone 'lite' with the design. I've tried to make everything as real time as possible and it's actually pretty hungry for threads. I'd recommend at least a 4 core processor and an nvidia gpu (both for the graphics and for compute). The gpu is not essential for just midi, but the program does far more than that.

Pretty much I've taken as a base KCS and extended it in every way I could, while allowing one to use it in the same fashion as KCS.

I'm finishing up some more advanced GUI stuff. All the graphics and user interface is built from low level libraries (SDL2) which will help with porting it later to *hopefully* at some point a No operating system. I've got a little bit left to do to get the all the functionality I want in the UI, but the core sequencer and programming environment is working well. I've also got a bit more serialization work to do, as this is a much more complex working environment under the hood than most sequencers. Consider sequencing arbitrary function calls, a common lisp like macro system for building with any of the programs components. Think concurrent multi sequencers with access to shared states -- meta sequencing capabilities, "real time" (between clock) PVG... I'm trying to take the improvisational programmable sequencer as far as possible.

As for support -- I'm looking to release first on windows, and then possibly play around with some kind of ARM devboard version. I will not be releasing for macos, ios, android or linux.
Last edited by gruebleengourd on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:59 pm

emmaker wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:19 pm
A few things I miss.

Korg Oasys PCI - Wish there were current drivers and software for them. You can still find PCs with PCI slots so that's not a problem.
Realistically, the best solution is just to find yourself a $40 G4 tower. I don't think you would ever get it to work in a modern PCI slot (which is adapted pci-e) on a modern OS.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:46 am

gruebleengourd wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:59 pm
emmaker wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:19 pm
A few things I miss.

Realistically, the best solution is just to find yourself a $40 G4 tower. I don't think you would ever get it to work in a modern PCI slot (which is adapted pci-e) on a modern OS.
It's kind of painful trying to use MacOS 9 in 2020. At least Windows from that era doesn't feel terrible.

Return to “Music Software”