VCV Rack: Open-source virtual modular synthesizer

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

doepferiano
Wiggling with Experience

Seven Seas Wavetable VCO

Post by doepferiano » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 am

bidimensional morpher

swarm mode

[video][/video]

doepferiano
Wiggling with Experience

distortions

Post by doepferiano » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

Magister Fuzz
[video][/video]

Rodent V2
[video][/video]

RXG100 Channel B
[video][/video]

SmashMaster
[video][/video]

jrindo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jrindo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

Is there a way to send live audio into vcv?

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:58 pm

jrindo
Use the Audio module from Core. It has 8 ports for routing audio from your device into Rack.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

jhindsight
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jhindsight » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:27 am

Vortico wrote:jrindo
Use the Audio module from Core. It has 8 ports for routing audio from your device into Rack.
Thanks i'll have a play with it tonight

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am

Interested in updating my GPU for VCV Rack performance improvements. Currently using Intel HD 4600 (integrated 4790k). Looking at 1060 3gb, which appears to be the sweet spot for price/performance ratio.

Does the GPU handle any audio processing tasks? If so, I might opt for a stronger GPU.

Thank you!

(apologies if this has been answered on Facebook, I don't have a personal user account to access that information)
5,159 custom drum samples for electronic music
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

202 Instruments for Ableton Live/Push (128s), NI Kontakt, and Logic EXS24
41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains
http://www.drivenmachinedrums.com

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 am

Entrainer wrote:Interested in updating my GPU for VCV Rack performance improvements. Currently using Intel HD 4600 (integrated 4790k). Looking at 1060 3gb, which appears to be the sweet spot for price/performance ratio.

Does the GPU handle any audio processing tasks? If so, I might opt for a stronger GPU.

Thank you!

(apologies if this has been answered on Facebook, I don't have a personal user account to access that information)
i have a 1080, no audio performance boost, but it is nice seeing wires and interface at quadhd without any performance hit. I would btw focus on super fast cpu, all the audio math seems to run on one core so a super fast 4ghz four core "gaming" processor is best.

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am

Dilibob wrote:i have a 1080, no audio performance boost, but it is nice seeing wires and interface at quadhd without any performance hit. I would btw focus on super fast cpu, all the audio math seems to run on one core so a super fast 4ghz four core "gaming" processor is best.
Nice, sounds good then, thank you. The i7 4790k, while not the latest and greatest, still can reach 4.5GHZ on a single core. I'm not sure if a more modern CPU will give me much of a boost. Might wait it out one or two more years before upgrading the CPU. I'm seeing increased core and thread counts but not much increase in single core power.
made from 4 modular systems, drum modules, and some nice analog outboard processing

41 Kits for NI Maschine, FXPansion Geist, Ableton Drum Racks, and Octatrack Sample Chains

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Entrainer wrote:
Dilibob wrote:i have a 1080, no audio performance boost, but it is nice seeing wires and interface at quadhd without any performance hit. I would btw focus on super fast cpu, all the audio math seems to run on one core so a super fast 4ghz four core "gaming" processor is best.
Nice, sounds good then, thank you. The i7 4790k, while not the latest and greatest, still can reach 4.5GHZ on a single core. I'm not sure if a more modern CPU will give me much of a boost. Might wait it out one or two more years before upgrading the CPU. I'm seeing increased core and thread counts but not much increase in single core power.
vcv uses depending on complile instructions the vector opperatuons for sse and avx. I believe your CPU has both instruction sets but not the newest avx (but I don't think any of the modules use the most recent avx so no worries for you).

Entrainer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Entrainer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Dilibob wrote: vcv uses depending on complile instructions the vector opperatuons for sse and avx. I believe your CPU has both instruction sets but not the newest avx (but I don't think any of the modules use the most recent avx so no worries for you).
Thank you. Yes, it has AVX2 but not AVX-512.

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Just some performance updates for those doing more serious work on vcv.

I recently got 5 instances of vcvrack running perfectly at the same time. Using pop os (ubuntu variant) with a I7-7700k, using an es-8&es-6 (so have 8 in/out on the audio modular rack). It's easy to keep all the processes locked by sending a gate out on a "management" vcvrack process (that sends out all the clocks to the other processes on something like output 8 and and the rest read from input 8).
As way as example ...

Process1: sends a gate on on input "8"
processes 2-n: each process reads from output "8" which kicks of what ever complex task they are doing, then send that back on input's 1-7.

Currently IO over 8 input/outputs still isnt stable, I have tried the new audio 16 module from RCM, so sticking with 8/8 it's very stable. With 8/8 I'm at 128 block size with 2.7 ms latency of process one to the processes 2-n. The processes 2-n are all in parrallel so are completly in sync when they return thier signals. The audio 8/8 also merges the signals to the es-8, so there is no complexity. I btw start with selecting the es-8, then click that over to the standard 8/8 (I avoid any noise clicks that way). Another nice thing is the gnome shell process seems to be offloading all the graphics cpu onto a single core which the "vcvrack" processes are not on. I also run everything at 48khz.

Super happy with how vcvrack is progressing from a performance stability perspective, thanks to the developers and testers for all the work. Huge gains from version 5 (which I kind of had given up on doing performance testing on).

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:07 pm

[video][/video]

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Here's a first look at VCV Host, an upcoming module for loading VST plugins in VCV Rack.

This is the first complete patch using CV modulation of a VST in VCV Host. The open-source DX7 emulator "Dexed" is loaded and exposes many parameters such as operator level, tuning, and release time to VCV Rack control voltages. These are controlled by Fundamental LFOs and Audible Instruments Random Sampler. There is no MIDI involved. This VST instrument plugin is being "played" with 1V/oct CV and gate signals, just like Eurorack oscillators.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 pm

JESUS! Wow!

All I need now is an OSC input module and I can ditch the Euro Hardware (I kid, I kid!).

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:29 am

[video][/video]

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Now a first look at Host-FX, included in the VCV Host plugin, for hosting VST effect plugins with stereo audio in/out.

VCV Host is still being tested with dozens of VST vendors. This time with three instances of Propellerhead Europa, modulated with Befaco Rampage and VCV Pulse Matrix.

oerba
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oerba » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm not able to login into vcvrack on a windows pc. I have it running on osx, and another windows machine but no luck on this one.

Nothing in log.txt.
When I put my user/pass in and click login, the password field clears, and nothing else happens, no errors display.

I tried copying my token to settings.json from the osx install but that fails when I go to update plugins.

Any ideas?

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:05 pm

[video][/video]

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Announcement: All VCV plugins are discounted by $5 until December 1.
This includes Scalar, Spectra, Parametra, Router, Console, and Pulse Matrix.

https://vcvrack.com/

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:51 pm

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:31 am

Not able to login (from my mac) either. Is it working for others? Can't login even if I make a new account.
oerba wrote:I'm not able to login into vcvrack on a windows pc. I have it running on osx, and another windows machine but no luck on this one.

Nothing in log.txt.
When I put my user/pass in and click login, the password field clears, and nothing else happens, no errors display.

I tried copying my token to settings.json from the osx install but that fails when I go to update plugins.

Any ideas?

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am

Rack is probably blocked from accessing the internet on your computers. Make sure you've checked your firewalls, antivirus, blocking programs, and your internet connection itself.

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:53 am

The app logs in fine, it's the website that won't let me log in, I'd like to add some new plugins like Scalar and Host.
Vortico wrote:Rack is probably blocked from accessing the internet on your computers. Make sure you've checked your firewalls, antivirus, blocking programs, and your internet connection itself.

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am

Can you elaborate on "won't let me log in"? You can email contact@vcvrack.com.

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 am

just hates Chrome apparently, Safari works fine.

Return to “Music Software”