VCV Rack: Open-source virtual modular synthesizer

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

midiguru
Wiggling with Experience

Windows MIDI?

Post by midiguru » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 am

I'm getting serious about VCV. Amazing system!

Serious question, however: What is "Windows MIDI"? Every other music app I own (running Windows 7 Pro 64) accesses the MIDI from my trusty Axiom-61 keyboard with no fuss, but none of those other programs even has "Windows MIDI" as a choice for MIDI input.

I'd love it if someone could tell me how to get MIDI messages from the Axiom into VCV. Right now I'm looking at Impromptu Modular's Write-Seq, and it obviously expects to be loaded from the MIDI input module.

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 am

Windows MIDI is the same API used by most other DAWs. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -reference
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

midiguru
Wiggling with Experience

Post by midiguru » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:57 am

Vortico wrote:Windows MIDI is the same API used by most other DAWs. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -reference
Quite likely true. I should have been more explicit in my question. The MIDI-1 module, when set to Windows MIDI - All Channels, fails to receive MIDI notes from my keyboard. Nothing happens. I know this because when I attach its CV output to an oscillator input and play the keyboard, the pitch of the oscillator doesn't change and the CV out jack doesn't light up. Nor does the Gate jack when I attach it to an envelope generator.

Clearly the MIDI-1 module is not receiving MIDI messages. How would I troubleshoot this?

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

What's the exact device name you've selected in MIDI-1?

midiguru
Wiggling with Experience

Post by midiguru » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

Vortico wrote:What's the exact device name you've selected in MIDI-1?
Ah, well, there you go. Simple user error. I hadn't selected a device. Sorry for the confusion.

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 pm

VCV has released Spectra, a 16-band spectral designer with two filter bank models. It is modeled on the 296r Spectral Processor but also includes an ideal digital model for more transparent character.

Spectral processors popularized vocoding in the field of audio synthesis, so Spectra makes it easy to modulate all 16 bands with an additional "auxiliary" input which simulates a second set of filter banks modulating each band level.

It can be used as a multimode filter as well, with the CV-controllable Master Filter section.

Available at https://vcvrack.com/Spectra.html for $30. VCV Spectra is one of five plugins that directly supports development of VCV Rack.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Now all I want is for someone to model the Moog inductor based Fixed Filter Bank and I'd be all set.

doepferiano
Wiggling with Experience

Phasor Harmonic VCO with keyframes

Post by doepferiano » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Phasor Harmonic VCO with keyframes
in nysthi package

[video][/video]
Last edited by doepferiano on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm

So I didn't read this whole thread... sorry... but...
I learned how to link midi from Ableton... how do I get sound back into ableton?
SunSpots

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:04 pm

So all the info I asked earlier is answered. Very simple stuff.

VCV is freaking AMAZING... THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this instrument. It's insane man... really crazy. I'm amazed by all the developers who have come out to make some of the best modules out there. REALLY COOL. I'm hooked!
SunSpots

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEJk0-xqZ8

VCV Rack is a bomb, I had a nice time with wiggling this DIY synth with VCV Rack rhytms and FXs. Enjoy

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:12 pm

VCV Rack changed the way I approach electronic music, a complete paradigm shift. I feel like I have a vague sense of what people who go modular get out of it now, in fact I've been enjoy VCV Rack so much I've finally realized I can't go back and am planning my first case build as we speak.

I've been using it for several months now and after the .6 upgrade things got very serious. It's incredible. There seems to be new modules every day. It's given a great, and free in road to try out modular.

It's sooooo 'f'ing good.

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Has anyone tried the new Geodisks modules?

The both look amazing and sound great too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:53 am

Burst! is a great module just check it out. Link on the Aepelzens Modules in the description.
[video][/video]

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:47 pm

VCV has a booth at Knobcon 2018 near Chicago, IL. We will be hosting Show-Off-Your-Patch all weekend. If you visit the booth and want your patch to be featured, send your .vcv file to knobcon2018@vcvrack.com in advance so I can transfer it to the demo computer.

undress
Learning to Wiggle

Post by undress » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Does anybody have problems with this app being a resource sucker?

In macOS it rises to 60-70 % CPU and 300 to 400+ energy impact. Within a minute all the fans are running at max and the whole chassis runs hot.

Thanks for any help. BTW, I love this app.

lysander
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lysander » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 am

I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro and after profiling it it seems like about 2/3 of the time is spent in the opengl rendering.
My graphics card is an Intel Iris 640 and I guess these must suck.
Unfortunately this results in pops and crackle in the audio even on moderately complex patches that should be fine for the sound.
Making the window very small helps but obviously that’s not paractical.
Will dig a bit more but I’m not sure there’s a quick fix :(

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am

Yeah, I went out and bought a GTX 1050 so I don't have to worry about all the GPU resources it consumes.

lysander
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lysander » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:34 am

Yeah, if I had more time I would have looked into improving the performance and / or trying to switch to Vulkan + MoltenVK or Metal for rendering on mac.
Unfortunately supporting SVG makes this quite tricky so I will have to wait for Andrew to tackle this and might sell my laptop and get another one so I can focus on using it and writing modules.
Honestly this thing is so awesome that I think it will be worth the expenditure.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm

lysander wrote: Honestly this thing is so awesome that I think it will be worth the expenditure.
For the price of a cheap Euro oscillator module I got that video card which made it work completely perfectly on a 5 year old i7-3770. It takes up about 10% of the CPU most of the time.

It's the best modular synth I've used in 17 years playing with analog and digital ones. If I had to pay $1k to upgrade to make it useable, I would probably do it. Still less expensive than investing in even a small analog modular. And easier to use, IMHO.

lysander
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lysander » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:58 pm

I completely agree.

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm

[video][/video]

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 am

sorry for the lazyness. . .can the VCV rack be user to send CV out from ES-3 like Bitwig modulators if I'm using RME UFX?

Spyart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spyart » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 am

[video][/video]

tewnty_two
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tewnty_two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:36 pm

SynthBaron wrote:
lysander wrote: Honestly this thing is so awesome that I think it will be worth the expenditure.
For the price of a cheap Euro oscillator module I got that video card which made it work completely perfectly on a 5 year old i7-3770. It takes up about 10% of the CPU most of the time.

It's the best modular synth I've used in 17 years playing with analog and digital ones. If I had to pay $1k to upgrade to make it useable, I would probably do it. Still less expensive than investing in even a small analog modular. And easier to use, IMHO.
So the graphics are the hogg?
What % were you running before upgrading the graphics card?

Return to “Music Software”