Algorithms to Build Synths, Any standard Resources Please?

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

abhirama
Learning to Wiggle

Algorithms to Build Synths, Any standard Resources Please?

Post by abhirama » Thu May 18, 2017 6:23 am

Hi All,

I am little more than a beginner in making synths in reaktor. I wanted to get some nice sites where some layouts or some ways of hooking up things we get where in we can do some nice sound design. I was looking for something like a bible where i can learn nice modular approaches for getting some nice sounds. 8-)

I want to make my own pads and leads so that time is not spent in searching for presets. and many other advantages.

Thanks,
Abhirama.

Ramases
Common Wiggler

Post by Ramases » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Try this series of 63 articles from Sound on Sound magazine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160403115 ... ecrets.htm

kf6gpe
Common Wiggler

Post by kf6gpe » Thu May 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Whoa. Ramases, thanks for the link. Should be some good bedtime reading there!

harshvan123
1-Post Wiggler

Post by harshvan123 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 am

Thanks for the link

Listen to Positive Self Hypnosis Audios for Peaceful Life
Last edited by harshvan123 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

abhirama
Learning to Wiggle

Nice

Post by abhirama » Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 am

Some thing like fordebeats would be great. I dont see many algorightms there. Still something like a book a full series of manuals for some 20-30 instruments covering all kinds of synthesis like modal, fm, am, ring mod and others. Thanks

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

Ron Berry has translated his analog physical models to Reaktor.

http://www.ron-berry.co.uk/page17.html

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Nice

Post by ignatius » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 pm

abhirama wrote:
Some thing like fordebeats would be great. I dont see many algorightms there. Still something like a book a full series of manuals for some 20-30 instruments covering all kinds of synthesis like modal, fm, am, ring mod and others. Thanks
frodebeats etc are all just starting places.. explanations on how to get going implementing those techniques in your synthesizer of choice.

there's always the computer music tutorial

there's a lot at the rob hordyck link ... mostly centered around the G2 but there's explanations on lot's of synthesis types and components and uses.

as for straight up algorithms to implement in code...i have no idea.. see.. the computer music tutorial and similar family of texts on available on amazon.

the max/msp books are probably useful too.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Seconding Curtis Roads' Computer Music Tutorial. It's as complete a description of the major synthesis types as any you'll find, with a shitload of detail and practical information, to boot.

It's kind of like Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's Charcuterie, in that no one I've lent the fucking book to has ever given it back.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am

If you're actually looking for algorithms in code you should download all the Mutable Instruments source codes which are open source. I haven't programmed much since college where I studied computer science but Olivier is a top tier programmer and his code is really well put together.

abhirama
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abhirama » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for your all of your answers.

I have checked all the links above and they will defintely add to my knowledge. Still i am pretty much excited about the below. Thanks. :yay:
syncretism wrote:Seconding Curtis Roads' Computer Music Tutorial. It's as complete a description of the major synthesis types as any you'll find, with a shitload of detail and practical information, to boot.

It's kind of like Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's Charcuterie, in that no one I've lent the fucking book to has ever given it back.

abhirama
Learning to Wiggle

Should try

Post by abhirama » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 am

I will also check this!
bobbylandry wrote:If you're actually looking for algorithms in code you should download all the Mutable Instruments source codes which are open source. I haven't programmed much since college where I studied computer science but Olivier is a top tier programmer and his code is really well put together.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am

Native Instruments has some very good tutorials on their site too that are worth checking out, if you haven't already.
harshvan123 wrote:Thanks for the link
Oh great, even more spam on the way..

Return to “Music Software”