Ableton 10

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

imcmahon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by imcmahon » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am

I installed the beta tonight, and screwed around a couple hours with it.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. My favorite new feature is 'capture', being able to just screw around playing stuff while exploring sound design, and then easily be able to see what you played and crop it down to the juicy bits, is really helpful for getting ideas recorded that I normally tend to lose. It brings a lot of nice new stuff to the Push, like a graphical representation of the midi clip that's playing, new visuals for effects like compressors that show where the reduction is happening relative to the waveform right on the push display, etc.

I recorded this track with seven Roland boutique modules, TR-08, TR-09, TB-03, JX-03, JP-08, D-05, and SE-02. I built instrument racks for several of them and hacked together max devices that expose all the parameters on the synths as macro controls which show up on the push, so now I can do stuff like tweak drum tuning/snap/decay etc right on the push, including the parameters in the drum machines that don't have dedicated knobs, like compression. I wrote one for the TB and the JX that has every front panel control for on the fly tweaking. All seven synths are cabled up and on their own inputs, and it was rendered directly from hardware to stereo wav. The only thing Ableton recorded was midi and parameter automation.

I tried to make a video to cut together showing off both live 10 and my boutique madness, but turns out video is hard, so here's the final product anyway :)

http://soundcloud.com/facetiousian/down ... utique-jam

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm

So far I love the beta. Took a little adjusting my muscle memory when it comes to chopping up clips in arrange view but more than worth it.

I love stretching audio clips in arrange view but a tiny bit bummed the same can't be done with MIDI clips.

Being able to see multiple MIDI clips overlaid at the same time is so so useful.
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am

One of my fave news is double clicking the arrange page to create a MIDI clip. No need to drag one from session view, which I never use.

rjungemann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rjungemann » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 am

jonne74 wrote:One of my fave news is double clicking the arrange page to create a MIDI clip. No need to drag one from session view, which I never use.
Ooh nice! I usually do cmd-shift-m but double-clicking is really convenient!
My modular (ModularGrid). Check out my new synth-pop album, Umbram.

imcmahon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by imcmahon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 am

Tried another video session and had a bit more success

[video][/video]

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:19 pm

rjungemann wrote:
jonne74 wrote:One of my fave news is double clicking the arrange page to create a MIDI clip. No need to drag one from session view, which I never use.
Ooh nice! I usually do cmd-shift-m but double-clicking is really convenient!
I've had Live since summer 2013, when Suite 9 was new'ish and I didn't know that. Or I didn't bother to look it up, I should say.

electr0andy
Common Wiggler

the price

Post by electr0andy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:16 pm

I have been using Live since I first d/l the cracked copy back in early 2000's. There was this moment when compared to the other software of the time I had the realisation that here is something worth paying for. Since this, I have taken all options by saving up my cash (M4L, push, push2, suite). Fanboi for sure

So why pay the extra $£€ for a new copy?

I think like this (and for modular/analogue/hardware too):

Each time I spend an hour using, how much is the cost? Maybe in the space of a year I will use ableton for hundreds of, maybe '000s of hrs.

So I do not defend the pricing really, I just think that here is a part of my life where I pay a small amount for a huge sense of satisfaction and joy. pennies per hour really. Hell I could be watching TV instead!!!!

Thank you developers at Ableton and synth builders worldwide. I love your work and I will continue to pay for it despite the odd frustration. Hope you enjoy the money and it allows you to develop more cool stuff

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:30 am

Capture mode alone makes me want this. I can't tell you the number of times I wish I had hit the record button before noodling around... Great feature.

The rest I could take or leave, but I really want to know the recorder is always running. Is that worth a couple hundred bucks to upgrade? I don't know... I could just start pressing the damn record button in 9 before I do anything :D

But I don't. I never do.

nomadjames
Common Wiggler

Post by nomadjames » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:57 am

Haven't even had a chance to give it a go yet. Lame. My life is lame.

Got beat on a drum machine though.
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." -- Hunter S. Thompson

https://soundcloud.com/nomadjames
https://twitter.com/nomadjames
http://www.nomadjames.com

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:52 am

anyone else have a bug where UNDO doesn't work?
sometimes this happens to me and seems to be fixed by restarting the program, but often comes back.

supersuper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by supersuper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 am

My ableton protip:

Don’t buy every upgrade you can skip a version and move up to the next version for the same price.

Bought live 8 didn’t buy live 9 until a week before 10 came out at a 20% discount and a free upgrade to 10. I avoided paying a hefty upgrade cost for over 6 years.

vingtdieux
Common Wiggler

Post by vingtdieux » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 am

Capture Kapture ?

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 am

supersuper wrote:My ableton protip:

Don’t buy every upgrade you can skip a version and move up to the next version for the same price.

Bought live 8 didn’t buy live 9 until a week before 10 came out at a 20% discount and a free upgrade to 10. I avoided paying a hefty upgrade cost for over 6 years.
That's my strategy for Bitwig. I'll buy it when version 10 is released. Who knows, I might never buy it. Either way, it's win-win and think of all the money I'll save.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Can any Live 10 users report on any possible improvements with CPU loads and also any possible improvement to jitter?

Heathfinnie

Post by Heathfinnie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm

supersuper wrote:My ableton protip:

Yes, but then had no benefits of live 9 at all either

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 am

Installed it a few nights ago, and there have been some MAJOR improvements to the workflow. In particular, they finally got the scrolling and zooming issue resolved in a way that makes sense. It may seem like a minor detail, but I assure you that it's not. No matter how well you know your hotkeys, and set up your templates, or organize your libraries, clumsy navigation has always been something stealing precious moments from your workflow in an insidious and unavoidable manner, until now.

The new instrument, and effects as well as the ability to capture performances and the improvements upon old features are pretty awesome. Well done, Ableton! Max 8 seems a bit more powerful as well.

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 am

Did the update from 9 to 10. Though it was a bit pricey... But not.

The CPU/GPU handling is like night and day.
I've got no clue as to what they did with their code, but the fans of my computer are not going crazy anymore, and it gives an impression of loading/doing things faster on the same projects.
If you're on a macbook with 2 graphic cards, it stays on the integrated one, and doesn't switch automatically to the noisy one.

=> zooming system improvement is so great.
=> Navigation in folders is way clearer.
=> Arrange directly in the arrange window, and editing several clips at the time is brilliant (not that it wasn't available for a decade in logic...).
=> all the minor improvements I'm discovering as I go by.

Well worth the monies. Got to pay them developers.

EDIT: grammar
Last edited by jules on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter: "who needs all this??!!??"
tak poo-poom

hex
Common Wiggler

Post by hex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 am

Is automation of grain size in simpler possible in 10?

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 am

Grain size automation:
=> Not directly from the automation lanes.
=> Not mappable from a drum rack.

Maybe there's a work around, but I can't see it.
Something tells me it would be CPU intensive/latency inducing if you where to recalculate grain size continuously when samples are playing.
Dieter: "who needs all this??!!??"
tak poo-poom

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 am

Happy so far. Particularly happy with the little things - direct export to mp3/FLAC, groups in groups, aliases for audio inputs/outputs, etc.

Richie Jape
Common Wiggler

Post by Richie Jape » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:38 am

the humble utilty plug in upgrade is also really cool ..

being able to have the bass in mono on a stereo channel is very handy ...

weekdayworrier
Common Wiggler

Post by weekdayworrier » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 am

I've been dying to install 10 but was working on the last couple of songs for my band's record--didn't want to screw things up mid-stream. Just finished and I think this is the weekend I finally get to play around with 10!

Audiodog
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiodog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm

I just heard the new wavetable synth for the first time in a real world setting. It rocks!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Still haven't had time to dig deep into Live 10, but from my brief use I've noticed it freezes whenever I get a text through messages on my Mac Pro. Ha, weird. I need to look into how to disable messages honestly, because I really have no use for it in the studio. Ha, but thought I'd share.

Howes
Common Wiggler

Post by Howes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am

I'm not really interested in the new instruments or effects but keen to know if this version is more stable and optimised than 9

Return to “Music Software”