Ableton 10

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

The Space Disco
Wiggling with Experience

Ableton 10

Post by The Space Disco » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 am

Imagine team Ableton ending super booth by showing it like one hour before closing... dope right!

How often do you think of Ableton 10?

Once a week, once every month, maybe every six month, once a year, never?

Why the delay?

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:12 pm

It was 4 years between 8 and 9, so they're technically not far off schedule. But maybe they're waiting for Link to be more broadly adopted before launching a new version?

My more immediate hope is that they put videos from Loop 2016 up on their youtube channel soon. Many of the 2015 videos were excellent.

Nielsen
Common Wiggler

Post by Nielsen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Ableton Live have a lot of room for improvements. So I really hope the update isn't far away.

But - fair enough - the 9.x updates were pretty neat and brought a lot of good stuff on the table.

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 am

I think about Ableton 10 every night. I put my jammies on and pray by my bedside facing Berlin.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 am

I think Live 9.7 Suite with M4L is an amazing music production environment and i really don't have any big issues apart from the missing MPE-support, which constantly requires me to use Reaper as a Rewire-Slave with Live. But honestly, I don't even have high hopes for that in live 10, as Ableton has always been really bad with midi historically.

So what I'd be interested in: What are the big things you guys are missing that make you so eager to get Live 10? Of course, a shiny new version with some cool new features is always nice to have, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything big :despair:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ableton 10

Post by ignatius » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 pm

The Space Disco wrote:Imagine team Ableton ending super booth by showing it like one hour before closing... dope right!

How often do you think of Ableton 10?

Once a week, once every month, maybe every six month, once a year, never?

Why the delay?
if i were you i'd just refuse to make music until Live 10 comes out.. obviously no one can expect proper production to happen in Live 9.

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Mpe is probably the only thing I really feel is a right pain to be without!

Slic
Common Wiggler

Post by Slic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm

I switched from Live to Bitwig 2, as far as I am concerned I cant think of anything I am missing now, Bitwig does everything I wanted from Live 10 (and more with the new CV stuff, a match made in heaven for modular users)

The Space Disco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Space Disco » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:10 pm

That's what I'm saying, Ableton needs to bite back, just as hard as Bitwig bited Ableton... the empire strikes back...

They will win if they refuse the subscription issue.

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

I'd never heard of Ableton 10 until now. I'll report back in a few weeks with how frequent my Ableton 10 thoughts are.

iamerror
Common Wiggler

Post by iamerror » Fri May 05, 2017 4:57 pm

I just want a proper browser with a search function. But for all the rest: Just leave it as it is.

Orwell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orwell » Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 pm

ISO iPad ableton lite, designed for touch screens and mobile. Integrates wirelessly with the bigger ableton 10.
Amazing it still hasn't been offered. It's 2017!
James Joyce was a synthesizer, trying to bring in as much as he could. I am an analyzer, trying to leave out as much as I can.
Samuel Beckett

gotthavok
Common Wiggler

Post by gotthavok » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 am

as far as i'm aware, Bitwig outpaced Ableton long ago in functionality

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am

gotthavok wrote:as far as i'm aware, Bitwig outpaced Ableton long ago in functionality
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Seriously though, does Bitwig natively support Sysex? Or did they copy the weird behavior of not supporting sysex and mmc too?

As far as Live 10 goes.... Hadn't even crossed my mind until this thread. I'm not really wanting for anything (besides sysex support, native support for sample accurate clock and better midi timing generally... all of which I will probably never see in my life time). They need to improve some of the "under the hood" stuff, but that's not really sexy and doesn't sell units.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm

gotthavok wrote:as far as i'm aware, Bitwig outpaced Ableton long ago in functionality
Except for the minor detail that they don't support Audiounits.
My latest release, including vinyl!

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 pm

I've also switched to bitwig. Enjoying it very much and upgraded to 2.1.
Ableton still has some advantages over bitwig, like the sampler and timestretching, but nothing that draws me back to ableton again right now.
The way how you can use all kinds of modulators on anything and put vsts in a feedback path of a delay for instance is brilliant.

I think ableton should seriously update their gui to something more inspiring.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Mitchk1989
*Probably* not a cyborg.

Post by Mitchk1989 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm

I just want a10 to include MPE and good multitouch support so I can finally go 100% in the box with a seaboard rise and a multitouch monitor.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Mon May 29, 2017 8:30 am

Well...

More interesting is to think of Ableton "Push Pro" - hardware solution which works standalone and in a controller mode, has a touch screen for everything incl. audio editing, has multiple audio / midi / cv ins and outs. Of course, such a hardware should have limitations compared to the software version (limited track / instrument amount in a project, only native effects, etc... ).

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

I love Ableton. At this point, it's all about small things for me. Would love to be able to group groups, hide tracks, additional macros knobs are always welcome, etc...
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

widdly
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by widdly » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:03 pm

I'd love tightly integrated sysex. I'm thinking the external instrument and external effect plugins having presets that included routing settings and sysex. Then you could drag in a specific ext. inst. preset and have the midi and audio patched, the external midi device load the correct patch via the sysex and be ready to play.

With sysex routed in/out of Max4Live, the community could develop plugin editors for hardware easily as well.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:22 am

billyk419 wrote:I love Ableton. At this point, it's all about small things for me. Would love to be able to group groups, hide tracks, additional macros knobs are always welcome, etc...
My top three list of small things that I desperately want:

Undo / Redo for changing Loop Start / End and offset
Key command for Lock Envelopes
Key commands for vertical zoom of individual tracks / automation lanes

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 pm

In my opinion Ableton needs to address the modularness of Live... going above and beyond what is being done in bitwig with its modulators. Sure there is Max4Live but it is still not as elegant/intuitive as what is offered in Bitwig... they should bake it into Live it's self so there is no need to load Max for that purpose. I can think of more things I would like to see an improvement on, but as far as creative mindshare, the modular approach is where things have been headed for awhile...

Maybe they should buy Propellerheads or create some sort of strategic partnership... to what end, I don't know, but Live and Reason work amazing together, like peanut butter and chocolate
I AM THAT I AM

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 am

my guesses for Ableton 10 are:

MPE - and perhaps some Specific plug ins to use Roli Products.

CV devices - similar to Bitwig.

M4L hard baked in - on all versions except intro.

Essentially biting back all the good stuff from Bitwig, then baking in all the cycling74 stuff to make M4L standard.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Kummer wrote:In my opinion Ableton needs to address the modularness of Live... going above and beyond what is being done in bitwig with its modulators. Sure there is Max4Live but it is still not as elegant/intuitive as what is offered in Bitwig... they should bake it into Live it's self so there is no need to load Max for that purpose. I can think of more things I would like to see an improvement on, but as far as creative mindshare, the modular approach is where things have been headed for awhile...

Maybe they should buy Propellerheads or create some sort of strategic partnership... to what end, I don't know, but Live and Reason work amazing together, like peanut butter and chocolate
I'm thinking that's the exact idea they have...hence the purchasing of Max4Live. No better way to integrate something than to completely control every aspect of it...

I'm guessing bare minimum they'll integrate the LFO and envelopes from Max4Live to be native :party:
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

pilp
Common Wiggler

Post by pilp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

I hope they do something about CPU usage...

Return to “Music Software”