UAD: OTO Biscuit

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

UAD: OTO Biscuit

Post by mt3 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Seems like there are lots of alternatives in software, though, many well below $249. The only thing unique about Biscuit really was that it was a dedicated stereo hardware effect.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm

shamann wrote:Seems like there are lots of alternatives in software, though, many well below $249.
yeah.. not to mention the price of admission to UAD

but it'll sell and i hope it sells well for OTO's sake and allows for more development $$$ down the line.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am

I'm just happy they're expanding into the farout and kooky. There's only a finite number of vintage studio gear that can be emulated...

I'm a UAD con(per)vert. Love the offloading of dsp. Most important aspect to me.
They have absurd sales and are generous with their monthly coupons, so any plugin can be picked up for $79-$99 eventually.
:party:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:51 am

Also, Biscuit is unique. Great torture sounds. $600 new.
UAD are pretty good doing authentic emulations via particle physics, with original maker's seal of sonic approval.
:75:

mrflannery
Common Wiggler

Post by mrflannery » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 am

This is the first time I've been possesive about a music tool. Why??? It's MY SECRET WEAPON!!!

dlk1100
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlk1100 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am

Is it wrong that this just makes me want the hardware?

shamann
_

Post by shamann » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm

dlk1100 wrote:Is it wrong that this just makes me want the hardware?
Well, I'm sure someone has written a psychology paper or two on that desire.

But, I'm willing to bet a fair few Arturia software users have come away wanting a real Arp 2600 or Minimoog too. I think it's a natural outcome of these photo-as-GUI plugins, they are putting an image of something on your screen telling you it is a legendary/prized/special device. Getting to "I like it, would love a real one" doesn't seem to be a big leap.

grillo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grillo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Dude I really envy that screen display thingy for the extra effects like the waveshaper and the pitchshifter.

dlk1100
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlk1100 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:49 pm

shamann wrote:they are putting an image of something on your screen telling you it is a legendary/prized/special device.
Man, they have gotten good at that.

terrafractyl
Fractal Wiggler

Post by terrafractyl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm like :party: :party: UAD are doing creative fx plugins!!!
I've done every survey they throw at me, and always written that this is the kind of thing I would like to see more of on UAD.

but then I saw the price! That much $$ for this seems crazy IMO.

I have a LOT of different plugins that can do all the different bits this plugin does. Why on earth I would spend 250$ on this is beyond me.

The hardware was pretty unique when it came out and cool sounding don't get me wrong, I have played on my mates plenty, and considered getting one for myself purely for live use for a while....
but in the end, I decided that the whole was not That much greater than the sum of its parts. The only reason I considered it for so long, was the box itself and the hands on usability.
Maybe if it was <100$ I would think about it. I guess it goes on the maybe-one-day-if-they-have-a-crazy-discount-list. Which is slowly growing haha
'People forget that the brain is the biggest erogenous zone' -- Jackie Treehorn
Latest Album-=-Hypnagog Soundcloud-=-Kinematic Records Website

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Biscuit OTO hardware = $550
OTO UAD plugin = $250
OTO UAD plugin when eventually and inevitably on sale = $99

Sorry for sounding like a blind devotee apologist of UAD (this'll be my last one), but just giving info to balance misinformation or assumptions. It has immense value for some users, though not all.
Think of the $250 as MSRP and the $99 as street price.

Also want to point out the UAD platform isn't merely redundant implementations of VSTs that could be purchased cheaper in native format. Even if it were, UAD would have value to me for offloading expensive CPU resources (e.g., any nonlinear plugins and processes i.e., any plugin that does anything interesting).

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm

No one pays full price for UAD plugs. There is always a 50 dollar coupon in your mailbox so the most youd ever pay for this is 199 dollars.

I have over 50 UAD plugs, good ones including all of the latest and greatest other than the 9.1 ones just released, no junky older ones that I passed on and Ive averaged about 80 dollars per plug and that includes my hardware interface (Apollo Twin USB for Windows). So I get to take advantage of its unison tech as well.

You just have to watch out for sales, promotions, coupons and have a bit of patience and you get em all cheap eventually. The fact that you can buy as many custom bundles as you want all the time now and get coupons all the time lowers the price considerably.

Cool that Softube made it. I know its UAD only right now but I wonder if theyll release a native version soon enough or at the very least make it purchaseable for Console One users.

skyshaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skyshaver » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

nonlinear processes on UAD still introduce latency regardless of the "off-loading" of CPU. I used an Apollo for 5 years and finally got off the UAD train a year ago and have not missed it a bit. It works and sounds great but it's constricting as all hell. Unless you want to shell out money for multiple very expensive dongles....uhh hardware DSP accelerators... your plug-ins are tied to one location. No working on ideas on your laptop and then finishing them on your main studio computer etc. I've been using a MOTU interface and native plug ins (no iLok!) for a while and I'm much happier. I'm happy UAD works for some people but after extensive experience I'm happier without it. No more walled gardens for me, free the plug-ins! Sad to see OTO go this route.

:sadbanana:

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 pm

That's part of my main point: it's not a wall of soundgarden, view it as an expander.
Plus buying additional DSP power expanders isn't any different from buying a new computer with more power to be able to run more plugins, but probably cheaper than a new computer.
Plus, whereas your old computer becomes a 1000 quid doorstop, the UAD units combine their DSP power into a DSP compute cluster where you are free to rename your UAD system as Voltron: The Original Modular Muthafukcas.
:75:

Return to “Music Software”