Tanzbar - any users ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:43 am

welp fuck it im gonna take a chance and get one..the sound and feature set is so spot on for what i'm looking for that it seems worth the risk. just gotta wait another month for funds. i'll report back when i get one.

maxitobandito
1-Post Wiggler

Post by maxitobandito » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm

I enjoy every day with the Tanzbär! I linked it with an SP 1200 to get some dirt into the drum tracks.

SamEP
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SamEP » Fri May 09, 2014 6:30 am

hi jata, did u work out how to record knob movements into a pattern ?
i have exactly the same situation as you - have been following the manual exactly, but can't get this function working - sound LED never flashes.

same as u - i can get step parameter lock function working fine too.

please let me know if you worked out how to get knob recording function working.

thanks,

sam

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 am

Well I've had my Tanzbar for about a week and I really dig it so far. Sounds huge!

I don't really understand the gripes with build quality honestly. A few of the mini pots were a little stiff as well as the master output level but I was expecting a flimsy pile of garbage according to what I was reading.

Programming is pretty easy but it helps to have BOTH manuals. I find the original manual to be much much better but there are a few points better explained in the revised one that shipped with the unit.

I've figured out knob recording and will post a quick tutorial later today. I have had some problems with always getting the bend function to work and I don't get the same visual feedback the manual describes. I'm supposed to be seeing active steps when activating the bend function but it seems to make another sequence dedicated to the bend points themselves. I've also noticed when I program a single bend , it sometimes repeats the bend on every hit.

Also another quirk....for doing rolls, if one of the cv channels is selected in record mode and you enter play made, roll won't activate.

Also, placing the clear and store pattern buttons so right next to each other I think was a bad choice. At the very least, a required confirmation button push would have been very welcome. I've lost a few patterns but I'm very careful now.

These are minor gripes though. All in all its a very flexible very playable machine and navigation is mostly a breeze.

Edit: I figured out the little quirk with the bend function. If you are having problems assigning a bend to a step, wiggle the data knob. I think that when you enter into bend mode, the data knob position isn't recognized until you touch it.
Last edited by ddoyen on Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Ok to get knob recording working, this is what works for me.

First of all, make sure your record mode is NOT set to manual. Even though knob record is engaged while in PLAY mode, knob record will not engage if the record mode is set to manual. You want to be in either Step or Jam mode.

Secondly, make sure knob record is enabled by pressing shift+cp/knob rec. It is set to on when the led blinks between red and orange. Hit select to confirm your selection.

Now, make a pattern and then enter PLAY mode (Rec/Man Trig led is OFF in play mode)

Hold down Sound+An Instrument then press sound again. The LED should blink green until the pattern restarts its bar, and then it will be solid green. When it is solid green, it is recording your knob movement. The recording will last for the length of the pattern (or half of the pattern if it is 32 steps. my suggestion is turn off the automatic changing of A and B until after you record your knob movements if you are working with a +16 step pattern).

If you continue to move the knob past the end of the bar, you will hear the current position of the knob, and not what you just recorded. But remember, this is because in PLAY mode, you are free to tweak controls on the fly and temporarily "hide" the recorded sound parameters. But your knob recording has been stored, and if you hit the Select button, you will hear your recording again.

Also, if you do not like your take, simply press Sound again, and it will start recording again.

Hope this helps!

Littlethief
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Littlethief » Sat May 17, 2014 5:00 pm

dubnspace wrote:
HIMA wrote:
flocked wrote: I asked the developers and this is intentional. I like it and use it often in my performances :)
ok, i get that, but the problem is that when you switch it on the next day, the tom is still going, even without a trigger. :hmm:
lol, that happens to me too.. i turn everything on and there's some low tone coming out of my speakers.. even though it's happened to me a few times now, it still takes me a minute to figure out where it's coming from.
Stick the outputs through your daw and side-the chain the never-ending toms to the bass drum - sounds great :-)

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Has anybody purchased one recently? I've been hoping for a while that a lot of the issues with reliability would be sorted out as production got underway.

I love the sound of my Miami but there a couple sound parameters I'm itching to have control over and the sequencer on it is actually far more basic than the one on the original 808. The Tanzbar really seems like the inevitable next piece of gear to try.

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 am

rohelineoun wrote:Has anybody purchased one recently? I've been hoping for a while that a lot of the issues with reliability would be sorted out as production got underway.

I love the sound of my Miami but there a couple sound parameters I'm itching to have control over and the sequencer on it is actually far more basic than the one on the original 808. The Tanzbar really seems like the inevitable next piece of gear to try.
See a few posts up. Got mine a few weeks ago and I have no issues with mine so far. I don't know what might be different about mine other than newer firmware, minor changes to silkscreen (now flam instead of flame for example), and color changes to some of the buttons.

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Tue May 20, 2014 3:58 pm

ddoyen wrote:See a few posts up. Got mine a few weeks ago and I have no issues with mine so far. I don't know what might be different about mine other than newer firmware, minor changes to silkscreen (now flam instead of flame for example), and color changes to some of the buttons.
Thanks. I had taken your success as an encouraging sign. The loss of the flame button is a small sacrifice for a more reliable instrument I guess.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Tue May 20, 2014 5:16 pm

I have one too, I haven't had much time to use it yet, but, I also find the build quality to be fine, I can't see an issue with it. Buttons all feel OK, little mini pots are mini pots, they do the job, Sound control pots are all right too, not the best but good enough. Case is good too, not that heavy but not overly flimsy, feels about right to me.

It sounds very nice though, no complaints at all. I need to get round the OS, thats the one thing I'm not sure about yet, its a little cluttered, but then it has a lot of features.

(I've probably jinxed it now, I'll get home and it will be busted!!)
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Tue May 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks again, I have the original Microzwerg and the fit and finish on that doesn't cause me any loss of sleep. The one thing that has most worried me about the Tanzbar is how ambitious the OS is for such a small company (is it just one person doing all the design?). If it had a couple fewer features, I'd probably already bought it by now especially because it does sound so good.

xparis001
Common Wiggler

Post by xparis001 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am

the interface is so awful, but the sound is pretty amazing. I'm probably going to relegate it to being a sound module for my MPC at this point. might just be easier. not sure if I'll miss the parameter locks feature though. :despair:

eskobaba
Common Wiggler

Post by eskobaba » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:01 am

A question about the tanzbar, i see that it has start and sync ins but does it have reset? does it act as reset when it gets a trigger to start, or?
There's a lot of activity, a lot. There are a pair right next to the hydrophone, those are probably the loudest animals. There's one single seal that is on my left and it seems to be watching the mother and pup that were near the hydrophone.

WTB: Elby CGS 734 ASR

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:49 pm

when set as an input, it starts or stops the sequence though when it starts again, it will start from the first step. sync is where you send your clock.

eskobaba
Common Wiggler

Post by eskobaba » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 am

Anyone using it to clock the modular? and midi? I have big trouble getting the doepfer a-190-1 to sync good with my DAW, im thinking of doing midi from DAW > Tanzbär and then using the trig/clock out of the tanzbär to clock the modular (?)

edit: works superb
There's a lot of activity, a lot. There are a pair right next to the hydrophone, those are probably the loudest animals. There's one single seal that is on my left and it seems to be watching the mother and pup that were near the hydrophone.

WTB: Elby CGS 734 ASR

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 pm

i just tested a bär in the store and it sounded really good especially after the tr-8 i had before. the bassdrums have amazing parameter range but it seems to miss enough single outs there are only 4 which is crazy for an analog machine. like many i dont care for the sequencer but i hope they sell just the analog drum modules ... for sub 100$ each would be nice.

Klaus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Klaus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Single outs? As in individual outputs? It certainly has alot more than four in that case.

Also the sequencer is half the machine, and when you get used to it quite intuitive. Loads of nice and kinda unique features

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:07 pm

jata wrote:hi guys,

i'm a new tanzbar owner and trying to record knob movements into a pattern, but it just does not seem to be working for some reason.

i'm following the manual, but no success. maybe something is missing there? it doesn't say what recording mode it has to be, it only says that it has to be in PLAY MODE.

when i get to the point where the Sound LED suppose to flash or light up, it does not do either of that. the step 11 knob record LED flashes red/yellow.

(it the other hand, the step parameter locking function is working fine)

thank you!

Ya, they skip a step. Took me a couple of days to get around this one too.
It doesn't matter if you're in step mode or Jam mode. Knob record works in both:

1. push shift+ "knob rec"
2. push "knob rec" AGAIN (that's when it lights up, they forgot abut this in the manual)
3. push select

NOW choose a sound
4. push sound+whichever instrument button (kick, snare, clap, whatever)

now the sound button will flash green until it has cycled through the rest of the 16 steps, when it loops back to step 1 the sound button will stop FLASHING green and just stay lit, while it is lit, it will record all the knob movements for that instrument. When the light goes off the recording is done.

as soon as you move the knobs again you override the movement recording (so save as soon as you like what you've done!)

osyrus11
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osyrus11 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm

oh, and the sequencer is loads and loads of fun, just takes a bit of getting used to. My only complaint is a really poor sounding clap. It's very tweakable but still, it's very difficult to get it to "snap" something about the filter makes the clap tone pretty dull, which is a shame, because they really nailed it with the 522 etc. Wish they'd taken some notes from their older drum machines. I'm a real clap happy sort, so this is really getting to me, Also would've been nice to be able to control the noise level on the snare or BD1, but I have to say, overall, this thing sounds quite unique and is fun as hell once you get into the machine. :bang:

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:23 am

I think it is a great machine - the kicks are deep and the stereo clap is versatile. If it doesnt snap enough you can just combine it with a snare.

One thing that I find misleading is the knob record function, because it seems to only register the point where the knob is when the beat hits, so when you play it back you won't get the whole sweep. :despair:

ulvens
Learning to Wiggle

tanzbar

Post by ulvens » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 am

Can anyone explain how to program the cv part?

If I for ex set step 1 with a tune and I think i lock it by selecting it and have it solid red and want to set step 3 with another tune step 1 change the tune to the same tune as step 3.

The manual is extremely sparse on this matter and on the youtube-videos they´re working too fast for me to figure out this problem

ulvens
Learning to Wiggle

programming the cv part

Post by ulvens » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:21 am

H

Robbie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Robbie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 am

^I'm curious to know if you ever got that sorted. It's certainly less than intuitive to me, but that often yields unpredictable results, which is sometimes more interesting than whatever I had in mind.

I'm having a fresh new weird problem with my Tanzbar. I can't clear a pattern. It's as simple as holding shift and selecting step 5, and I've done it before loads of times. But today, it doesn't work. If the sequencer is not running, nothing happens at all. I start the sequencer and the pattern is still there. If I do it while the sequencer is running, the pattern stops playing, but the LED for that pattern stays lit (where I believe it used to go out), and if I select that pattern again, it starts to play again, exactly as it was before.

Any thoughts anyone?

I guess the simple workaround is to store a blank pattern in that location. I also just noticed that if I clear the pattern and then store it to its own location, it does indeed stay blank, although in either of these cases, I've got a little red LED,burning, indicating that drumming will happen if I select that slot, which it really won't, and that kind of bugs me.

LaserDisc
1-Post Wiggler

CV programming

Post by LaserDisc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 am

I recently started using the CV sequencer and it's a lot of fun! This is my first experience using CV and I'm just learning as I go. So far I have it controlling the MicroBrute with CV1 and the Minitaur with CV2 (or vice versa).

What I do for connections is CV1 on the Tanzbar to Pitch In on the MicroBrute, Gate1 on the Tanz to Gate In on the MicroBrute.

My workflow at the moment is a 2 step process to play a sequence with the correct note information.

First activate the track (Rec + CV1 or CV2)

Write in notes wherever I want the instrument to play.

Press Sound, it should be blinking and then go solid when you press it.

Now you can put in the note value (key and octave)

Using Shift button you can move to the right along the sequence (Pattern moves you left)

The active step is green and the note value is red, so you can see what you are playing and adjust as necessary.

Press play and enjoy the fun!

Hope that makes a bit of sense, like I said I'm still learning this stuff, and would be great to hear how others are using this :)

okclave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by okclave » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:25 am

Hello!

I've been having loads of fun with my tanzbar and recently tried controlling my modular with it.

the CV out put works just fine, but I can seem to make it trigger any of the envelopes with the gate output. I contacted MFB and they said that the gate output of the Tanzbar is 3.6v should that be enough to trigger let's say the Doepfer a-151 or the Frequency central System X envelope?

Thanks!

Return to “General Gear”