Tanzbar - any users ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Tanzbar - any users ?

Post by Mercutio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:41 am

Hi,

These black box seems to sound really great. With all these output (unfortunatly with TRS...like thz future retro XS and analog 4), and some semi-mod channels...it looks like a great companion for our modular set up.

Any users ? How does it sounds ? And what about the sequencers ? Ergonomy is a hot issues on MFB stuffs but it seems that new hardware post 2013 better thinked and build...

Let us know !
Last edited by Mercutio on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 am

I'm definitely getting one but I just got an xbase999 and that's a monster too. need to sell more stuff...

AudioFetish
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AudioFetish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 am

I'd be interested in this too, been considering it and heard some positive things but have struggled to find any sounds posted anywhere

johnnylonz
Common Wiggler

Post by johnnylonz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 am

AudioFetish wrote:I'd be interested in this too, been considering it and heard some positive things but have struggled to find any sounds posted anywhere
There's some nice demos here:

http://www.mixcloud.com/yapacc/

Sounds really good. I am also interested to see the sequencer in action with a modular, but doesn't seem to be many of these in the wild yet.

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:53 am

I'm very tempted by the Tanzbär. Checked it out at the Messe and it was my highlight of the show. Can't say much about the more advanced functions but the basics looked like lots of fun. The price is also pretty fair imho.

Will spend the next bucks on some modules but the Bär is on the list for sure.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

There are some good videos popping up on Youtube. Try checking again now, it's only been the last week or two that they've shown up.

I want one as well. Shawn at AH says 2-3 weeks arrival.

LeFreq
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LeFreq » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 am

There are some good videos popping up on Youtube. Try checking again now, it's only been the last week or two that they've shown up.

I want one as well. Shawn at AH says 2-3 weeks arrival.

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am

Just got one on Tuesday. It's not as intuitive as I would have liked and the manual isn't very clear about a lot of things either.. lots of button presses or combinations of button presses.. It's also a lot smaller and lighter than I expected. It does sound like a good mix of 606/808. Nice round kicks.. Will try and get used to it a bit more but not completely sold on it just yet..

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am

I believe this thread belongs to the general gear forum

Or there is a tanzbar euro version? :mrgreen:

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:05 am

I had one and will again soon. I had to return it because one of the BD's had a spikes in the high frequencies. But Uwe sorted it out and modded it for me with some custom knobs. It should be back any day now.

In the time I had it, i came to love it. It's my first drum machine, so I can't compare it. But with in 2 or 3 sessions I could comfortably navigate the interface and come up with some solid grooves.

I tried it synced to ableton and ableton synced to it. No issues there.

The build quality is pretty good. Knobs are tight and buttons don't feel like they'll fall in. The wood panels on the side are huge. I might cut them down when i get it back...

I have the TT BD909, HATS909 and CP909. IMHO the Tanzbar has a way better clap. The kicks (x2!) are just different, but equally good. The hats sounded a bit smeared to me.

All in all. I'd advise it.
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 am

Someone busted one out as people were tearing down from Knobcon this past weekend... It went from nice boomy 808s to punchy 909s almost effortlessly.

The button combinations to get deep into editing were not intuitive, but again, none of us had any experience with it... just messing around without a manual.

The double kicks is a brilliant design decision. The snare sounded amazing through a spring reverb on hand. If I didn't have a machinedrum, I'd probably buy the tanzbaer.

I know Matthew Dear has expressed his love for it... so that's a pretty good endorsement.

AudioFetish
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AudioFetish » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Sounds good.I I'll get looking for samples again, thanks for the pointers,

vasculator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:27 pm

does this have realtime tap entry for steps (like the 808/909/MD)? i couldn't figure that out for sure but it didn't seem to have it. the samples sound great.

naahmmm
Hoden Hans

Post by naahmmm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 pm

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

Thinksyncopated
Common Wiggler

Post by Thinksyncopated » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Also been eyeing this dancing bear. Ummm...

Curious as to how this works with sequencing modular through the cv outs...

Sval-amb7
Common Wiggler

Post by Sval-amb7 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 am

Those are some awesome videos. I have the the acidlab miami and after watching these am considering changing it up. Does anybody have experience with both these drum machines? what are the major advantages of the tanzbar? I use an urzwerg for sequencing so Im curious to know how it interacts with my modular. thanks

Robbie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Robbie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:38 am

I just picked one up second hand a couple of days ago and am enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm having a problem with the bass synth part, though. Triggering it, whether manually or in a sequence, only produces a very faint buzzy pitch. The lead synth and all other voices are loud and clear. I've RTFM (both of them), and tried resetting the whole machine, as well as turning that one voice on and off via the setup menu, all to no avail. I also adjusted the filter via the data knob, and while I could hear a difference in the tone, the tone was still barely audible.

It's curious that there is no volume control for either of the synth sounds, and I wonder if this is just a hidden setting situation that I am somehow missing or if there's something wrong with this unit.

cpcompany
Common Wiggler

Post by cpcompany » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Definitely want to get my hands on one of these. Serious GAS.

Would love to see a Sonic State review.

BHC303
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BHC303 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 am

cpcompany wrote:Definitely want to get my hands on one of these. Serious GAS.

Would love to see a Sonic State review.
+1

why is this in euro?
Dmmavar wrote:what do I need to get into drones
Pighood wrote:A bees nest and a small container of corn syrup.

GodMadeUsFonky
Common Wiggler

Post by GodMadeUsFonky » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:13 am

I'm not buying mfb anymore, the sound is pretty good but the build quality and quality control is shit.

I've owned an MFB synth 2, no problem with it. Then I TRIED to buy a MFB-502 and I got sent 3 (!) different defective MFB-502's in a row. All different serial numbers, all different defects. That's just bullshit.

Also in this topic allready 2 people with problems or potential problems, there are a lot more story's like this out there as well.

If you get one that works, mind you, you get a pretty nice instrument for a good price. But IMO you really can't skimp on quality control like that, that's just bad business.

Also, naming your product after horrible animal abuse is beyond me and tasteless.

Robbie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Robbie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:41 pm

FWIW, I don't know that my Tanzbär was defective from the factory. Someone else wiggled it for a month or so before I got it, so who's to say? Anyway, I heard back from MFB and they seem willing to fix the problem, but I don't really care to send it off for that long, just to fix a feature that I probably won't use anyway.

HIMA
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HIMA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 pm

GodMadeUsFonky wrote:Also, naming your product after horrible animal abuse is beyond me and tasteless.
Manfred Fricke Berlin? :hmm:
The Book of Bad Ideas - A compendium of knowledge from Muffs. Download it here: http://bit.ly/1oz2zaI

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:17 am

logicgate wrote:I believe this thread belongs to the general gear forum

Or there is a tanzbar euro version? :mrgreen:
+1
HIMA wrote:
GodMadeUsFonky wrote:Also, naming your product after horrible animal abuse is beyond me and tasteless.
Manfred Fricke Berlin? :hmm:
No, 'Tanzbär' = Dancing bear (look at Tame bear on the English wikipedia).

In short: The training includes pain and injuries which is why it is seen as animal cruelty.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:26 am

Moving to General Gear as several people have questioned why it's in this forum.

patilon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by patilon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 am

Then I TRIED to buy a MFB-502 and I got sent 3 (!) different defective MFB-502's in a row.
i had the same problem with a MFB 522. With the Tanzbär i got 2 faulty ones.. the third is okay now..
but the build quality and quality control is shit.
unfortunately that´s very true. i hoped they would change something about that with their new higher priced stuff, but apparentely they didn´t.

Return to “General Gear”